AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi, fellow HTers....I'm getting a Klipsch RF 82 II 5.0 soon, now I'm in a dilemma choosing an AVR to drive the speakers.

I can get a Yamaha RX-A1030 at the same price as Pioneer LX-57. The pioneer is pack with features compare to the Yamaha. But reading reviews online i'm worry to pair the Pio with the Klipsch. I hate harsch and bright sounding system. But I dont really know if the Klipsch RF82 II paired with the LX-57 would be bright or just nice.

Anyone with input pls just chip in....

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Both are packed with features. I think the choice should be based on what features are important to you and not sound. Both feature calibration software (Yamaha has YPAO and Pioneer has MCACC) that use different techniques to optimize the sound and reduce room effects. These different software packages (that implement EQ) have the most significant impact on what you hear.

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Actually I don't think I would get either one. I don't like the idea of having a single global crossover for all speakers. The Yamaha 2030 and 3030 allow for setting the mains separately, not sure but I think the 1030 uses a single global crossover. If it does not, then I would get the 1030.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The big problem is that you are thinking about buying some of the worst-sounding speakers on the market at that price.

Let me quote the review "Home Theater Review" did on the RF 82 speakers:

"...Edgy and unnatural..."

"...shrill yet murky..."

"....lacked refinement..."

...and I'm sure he was trying to be nice...lol.

Anyone who even considers those speakers at their rather high price has not researched them, or their competition, adequately; they are lousy speakers.

If you want shrill and harsh they are the ones to buy; otherwise, cross Klipsch off of your list and start over.

For about the same money you can get the excellent PSB Image T6 speakers, or the Monitor Audio BX-6 speakers.

Either of these is an excellent choice for the money; great sound quality. KEF and Focal also make excellent speakers (check out KEF Direct and Music Direct).

There are at least half a dozen MUCH better speakers I could direct your attention to, for the same money or even less (if you tell me what your price limit is).

And if you actually DO hate a harsh or bright-sounding system, then Yamaha, Pioneer, and Onkyo are precisely the receivers to stay away from. They all have poor design and lousy sound quality.

They may have low distortion when they are hooked to a resistor on a test bench, but when they are connected to real speakers, the distortion goes up dramatically. That is what you get with cheap-as-possible receivers that have maximum profit for the company and poor value for the consumer as their design philosophy.

The receivers that are designed far better for low distortion driving real speakers are made by NAD and Cambridge Audio; those are the only ones that I will recommend to anyone. They have less distortion and of course sound much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klispcher  /t/1521681/avr-for-klipsch-rf-82-ii-asking-for-advice#post_24458474

Hi, fellow HTers....I'm getting a Klipsch RF 82 II 5.0 soon, now I'm in a dilemma choosing an AVR to drive the speakers.

I can get a Yamaha RX-A1030 at the same price as Pioneer LX-57. The pioneer is pack with features compare to the Yamaha. But reading reviews online i'm worry to pair the Pio with the Klipsch. I hate harsch and bright sounding system. But I dont really know if the Klipsch RF82 II paired with the LX-57 would be bright or just nice.

Anyone with input pls just chip in....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
What a steamy pile of bull right there.

I still have sensitive hearing and my Klipsch system sounds fantastic and nothing like those bunk statements; especially after some EQing but that is applicable for all decent speakers.

The 82s are good speakers, especially if had for less than MSRP but that applies to most things.

Yamaha and Pioneer both have solid offerings. The Yamaha should work pretty well, even more so with an external amp such as from Emotiva.

Use the room correction EQ feature which will provide sonic nice improvements.

Best Regards

KvE

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, in all due respect to some people's opinion to the Klipsch Reference line, what does constitute a perfect speaker? As we all know & agree in a certain matter that listening preferences is very subjective & I respectfully say to each his own on how we judge good sound & music. Could be our budget, listening environment, architectural placement, geographical availability, the dreaded but highly regarded WAF, deals we come across our local stores, online specials, specialty audio stores & of course, Craigslist, lol!

From my experience being a newbie in this fun & never ending pursuit of our perfect audio gear, within our range of affordability, BB's Magnolia, Fry's & RC Willey are just about as good as I can do some demoing of our toys.

Pioneers, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha & Sony with Martin Logan's, Def Techs, B&W & Polks are as close to audio excellence that I can play around with then decide which one suited my taste the best. It's pretty obvious from the beginning of my blah blah long response that I went with the Klipsch RF-82ii's, an RC-62ii & surrounded by a pair of Klipsch RS-400 which are the Canadian version of our RS-42 topped off with an HSU VTF2 MK-4. I got all my Klipsch for about 1400.00 which were not even a week old bought brand new & the original owner has to sell because of again, the WAF thing. The HSU I bought brand new.

I'm with the OP asking what AVR sounds with them but just to chime in on my meager & humble setup, my entry level Sony STR DH810 shined even more with them. I know from the get go that it was the weakest link in my music & HT but the Reference speakers now filled that void granted that I'm a newbie with less than adequate experience with higher end speakers. Pretty much all the aforementioned brands are my only samples & the ones, I think & heard closest to the 82ii's are the 4 ohm ML Motion 40's. Don't really know if there a big difference between the 82's & 82ii's fifth gen Klipsch's. For me, not even the Electromotion ESL have that right balance of thump, crispness & airiness, if that's a word, compared to the ribbon transducers of the Motion 40. Not even the B&W's 600 Series towers & Deftechs shined enough for me to appreciate the highs. The Deftech BP-8020ST has fuller mids & good thump to them as they have their built in subwoofer but the highs just didn't tickle my fancy or I just plain refuse to be tickled due to budget limitations (mild case of WAF). Again, pardon my virgin ears if this sounds funny to some but just sharing my own personal experience. I'm probably one of those people that likes shrill & fatiguing music but which I beg to differ & is not the case for me at all.

The AVR that really gets my attention all the time & keeps coming back at is the Pioneer Elite SC-75 with those Class D amp. Paired with the ML 40's & a Logan sub too, & it has the least amount of distortion when turned up as precisely loud & as bearable as it can be. In no way I'm saying the 82ii's sounds exactly the same but it's about the closest thing in comparison from what I've experienced. Its the value, budget, purchased price & contentment I find the most appreciation for my system now coming from my old set of Sony SS-F7000's & my recently sold set of another Klipsch line of Synergy F-30 group that weren't too bad! Reference 10, Synergies, 7 1/2 I'd say but anyways...

When I demoed the Klipsch 82ii's @ RCW, it sounded great with the Denon X-2000 & Sony STR-DH840 which is pretty similar with my 810 in regards to its power specs that I've also compared through Crutchfield.

So to the OP, I myself is looking at the SC-75's newer sibling but not in the Elite version with only a year warranty which is the Pioneer SC-1523. They might just do the trick hopefully & not be a "grand" of regret. Can't wait for it to arrive at any of my local store, if it ever does! Happy listening everyone.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1521681/avr-for-klipsch-rf-82-ii-asking-for-advice#post_24465327

The big problem is that you are thinking about buying some of the worst-sounding speakers on the market at that price.

Let me quote the review "Home Theater Review" did on the RF 82 speakers:

"...Edgy and unnatural..."

"...shrill yet murky..."

"....lacked refinement..."

...and I'm sure he was trying to be nice...lol.

I have seen you post this at least a dozen times in the past and wonder why you don't provide the link? The first time I did the google and was surprised to find that actually the Home Theater reviewer gave the RF-82II a good overall score and said some positive things about the speaker as well. Of course, you have every right not to like the RF-82II, but taking someone else's quote out of context and not supplying the link makes me wonder what you are trying to accomplish--I am also guessing you haven't personally heard the speaker and are basing your opinion off of internet anecdotes...

That said, I agree with the Home Theater reviewer that the RF-82II may be too bright for some and suggest trying to find a pair of Klipsch RF-7s in the used market.

{EDIT: I've supplied the link to the review in the past, but don't have the inclination to do it again--I just find it puzzling.}

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have RF82IIs paired with a Denon AVR X4000 and couldn't be happier! I have it setup in a 5.1 with the RF 82IIs bi-amped (against the opinion of some forum members) with a RC-52II, a pair of Synergy S-10s for surrounds, and a HSU VTF 1 Mk II sub.. All I can say is that if you like to get goosebumps when you listen to The Firebird, then you will be happy with this setup,

Rick

·
Registered
153 Posts

Look at my sig. Before the Cambridge 751R i ran a RXA-1020. For movies it was ok, nothing more. For music it s.... big time. Way too thin. If i were you i'd give Pio a try, buy it at a big boxe store that way you can bring it back in if it's not up to your taste. As for the critism of the Klipsch's has far as being harsh and all, just had a litle room treatment and they will be outstanding. Pio should be a good match,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts