AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just purchased a set of Martin Logan Motions and need some help with picking an AVR to support them. My setup is:

L/R: Motion 10s

Center: Motion 8

Rear: Motion 4s

Sub: 12" 300w Powered Infinity

What I'm struggling with is the speakers are rated at 4 ohm nominal impedance, but are compatible at both 6 and 8 ohms. With some help here and some other research, I have clarified that a mid-range, 8 ohm receiver should power these without issue but just won't perform to the full potential. I just don't know what the difference would be in quality from a mid-range to a slightly higher end receiver for this system. The AVRs I am considering and prices I can currently get them for are below:

Onkyo NR609: $299

Onkyo NR709: $589

Denon 2112: $450

Denon 3311: $540 (open box)

Pioneer SC-35: $750

I plan to use these for 70% movies/sports and 30% music.

Reading the manuals online, the Onkyo NR709 is the only one that states it has a 4 ohm setting however both the Denon 3311 and Pioneer have considerably high power ratings per channel (and I have also read the Pioneer estimates are supposedly more accurate for this line). What I don't know enough about is how all those compare and what will truly make a difference. I already stretched my budget some for speakers so I would like to limit the spending on an AVR, but I am willing to spend more if there will be a significant difference as I also don't want to underpower the speakers I just purchased.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
With those on your list I would sure your choice at least has pre-outs in order to add an amp if needed at a later time. That would the Onkyo 709,Denon 3311,and the Pioneer SC35. But with those speakers it would seem that either of the above mentioned AVR's will power those easily enough without an amp.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I would go with the SC-35. Problem is Costco is almost out of them. You might be able to get an even better deal from BB/Magnolia as many Stores are blowing out their 35/37's. Better still, you would have the Manufacturers Warranty.

Cheers,

AD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.