AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping I could send Video and up to 5.1 sound from my PC through an AVR to my 1920x1200 16:10 Monitor via HDMI.

I am trying to replace my old analog connected Logitech Z-5500 (5.1) speakers. Instead of buying something like the current Logitech Z906 I thought I could buy an AVR/speaker system like the Onkyo HT-S3700.

But, it appears that most (all?) AVR's seem to only support 16:9 resolutions, despite claiming to have an HDMI input for 'PC'.

Is there any AVR that actually supports PC 16:10 resolutions? It also sounds as if I did get an AVR capable of 1920x1200 via HDMI, it might not support sound at this resolution.

Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks;

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
The problem is AVRs implement standard CEA resolutions as defined in CEA-861 standard (paid document, but you can find illicitly posted copies online). And the CEA specs don't cover 16:10 resolutions. Since that's the document consumer gear uses, that's what you're left with. Feeding in a non spec'd resolution and odd things can happen, including no audio at all. And no, just because it supports 4K doesn't mean a thing.

In fact, there isn't enough blanking period in 1920x1200 to do 8 channel 192kHz LPCM.

If you want to do it, consider using a spare DVI input to hook your monitor to for 1920x1200, then use HDMI to the receiver and run that at 720p or something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts