AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new receiver for 2 channel music use only. At the same time I'd like to add a subwoofer to my system and I'm wondering if the subwoofer output works in stereo mode on most AVR's - or is it only used for LFE when the receiver is getting a 5.1 signal.

Right now something like a RSX-1057 is at the top of my list. I can't find anything in the manual that describes how the LFE channel works.

Edit: I found it in the manual actually.

"2 CH Stereo: Turns off the center channel and all surround channels in the system to the front speakers. If the system is configured to route bass signals from the front speakers to the subwoofer, this capability remains in effect."

Is this how most AVR's behave?

·
Registered
16,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid /forum/post/16845148

Is this how most AVR's behave?

Basically, yes. If your speakers are set to SMALL in the AVR, then you will always have front channel bass being rerouted to the subwoofer output. If you want to run your speakers as LARGE, there are other ways to get bass to your subwoofer. Most AVRs offer a setting that will route front channel bass to the subwoofer output even when the front speakers are set to LARGE.

But if you want to run the front speakers full-range, you could just connect the sub to the AVR's front channel pre-outs. You would then adjust the sub's low-pass to your front speakers roll-off (or to your taste). If you want to run your speakers full-range, this will probably provide the best integration for music.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.