AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanting to share my experience with a product I just purchased on e bay...it is a line level booster that is designed to increase the pre amp out put voltage of a signal source going into an amplifier. In my case, I used it to boost the low pre amp output voltage(.775-1V) from my Pioneer Elite receiver going into my Yamaha PC2002M power amp that requires a stronger input signal to make it's rated power(higher input sensitivity). The Yamaha is rated at 240 watts per channel into 8 ohms but with only 1 volt or less of input it was only able to make about half the power it's capable of, which was about the same as the Pioneer puts out and not enough to make my Paradigm Studio 100s really rock. This little black box increases the voltage up to 2V rms which effectively matches the input sensitivity of most power amps. So for anyone out there using their AV receiver's pre outs going to a separate power amp, make sure you have the sensitivity matched or you will only be getting about half the power out of your amp, due to lack of pre amp signal strength. Most AVR's have a pre amp out put voltage of 1V or less and most power amps have an input sensitivity of 1.5-2V. I picked this unit up on e bay for $50 and it made a huge difference in the amount of power my big Yamaha amp can make now and I don't even have it turned all the way up. There is more info on this subject in the Amplifier FAQ in the receivers, amps and processors sticky...'gain and input sensitivity'.

I am in no way affiliated with this company, just a happy customer. I'm sure there are better units out there that have a similar function, but for $50 you can't go wrong :)

http://www.phonopreamps.com/TC-780LCpp.html

·
Registered
744 Posts
Interesting .....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts