AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AVR networking

Ok folks, after bouncing around the Yamaha and Denon threads, I thought I'd bring up this topic.

I'm looking for some feedback and perspective on using your ethernet jack on your AVR.

When I first got back into this last fall, the first AVR that caught my fancy was the Yamaha 3800. From there I discovered the Denon 3808 (and above) and the Pioneer 94 also offered the jack.

All I was thinking about at first was streaming my music directly from the AVR, with no other boxes, extenders, etc. hanging off. My current Sony setup has just about everything digital and analog stacked there, time to move that to another room.

After spending some time thinking about my usage (and a big remodel) and spending time on these threads, I've given some thought to putting a slimline HTPC next to my AVR in my next gen setup. Hmm, perhaps streaming directly isn't that important, just need to turn on the computer, not sure, need to think this one through. Now I'm back to a bunch of devices.

So after reading the Yamaha 1800 / 3800 forum pretty well and skimming the Denon 3808 and new '09' threads, I realize that the implementation and usage of this fucntionality varies greatly.

Here's what I think I've seen:

* folks are mixed on Yamaha's implementation of streaming, Denon's seems better

* Yamaha doesn't flash firmware, Denon does (a lot, I think); didn't see as much about Pioneer); last year, I would have never thought of AV hardware flashing firmware, goes to show I was behind the times

* Denon also seems to get high marks for the whole 'web usability' of their AVRs -- must admit I never thought of that

* I've also seen people note not much need for LAN connectivity as firmware can be done via RS-232 or streaming via proprietary iPod connectivity

* I do have a LAN drop where my AVR will go, so I'm happy about that

So, can people comment on how important they see this feature and how they are using it? Entering in to the age-old AVR decision (I had set the $1500 number, but probably because the Yamaha and Denon came it at that); so am I missing other brands - Onkyo, Marantz, or even separates - Integra, Emotiva, etc. at that price point?

I guess that's enough from me, I'll look forward to some real-world comments.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump

·
Banned
3,741 Posts
None of these AVR-based LAN playback implementations come even close to what my Squeezebox & NAS combo setup offers. For firmware update it's a good thing though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks T2K,

I've seen references to the Squeezebox on these forums, but don't know a lot about them (yet).

bashton

·
Registered
273 Posts
I've got the Pioneer VSX-94TXH and the networking feature is "extremely primitive" by HTPC/AppleTV/Slingbox/Wired multi-media player standards. The only good thing about it, is that you can navigate the Internet Radio and Neural THX channels via the receiver's remote and the built-in display on the Pioneer. I actually like the iPod interface for the same reason.

Even a basic HTPC implementation makes all of the receivers with networking appear like the stone-age.

Greg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do you happen to have a Xbox 360 or PS3? If so, either of those can be networked and stream audio & video from any PC on the network.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesabi /forum/post/14340448

Do you happen to have a Xbox 360 or PS3? If so, either of those can be networked and stream audio & video from any PC on the network.

Actually not yet, I'm moving up to all of that. Someone else suggested using a PS3 to do my streaming.

From what I understand, the Denon still has some AVR usability capabilities via the web -- change sources, etc.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts