AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As always I am trying to stretch a dollar.

I would like to be able to run 2/3 hdmi lines thru something and also be able to plug in head phones. I have a sony crt with only 1 hdmi, xbox 360, and a hddvr. I also would like to be able to connect headphones. This is in my loft and need to be able to run everything via hdmi. We would also like to be able to put the headphone in so he(or whoever) can watch tv without competing with the downstairs tv.

My thoughts were an older avr, but the ones I keep finding are either to expensive or without hdmi. I thought about a hdmi switch but that wont cover the headphones. I thought about a componant to headphone male, with a female to female then plug headphones in. We have headphone for the xbox 360 but they only work with it.

So my next thought was a new very low end avr but I am not sure how cheap those can be.

As always thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
As always I am trying to stretch a dollar.

I would like to be able to run 2/3 hdmi lines thru something and also be able to plug in head phones. I have a sony crt with only 1 hdmi, xbox 360, and a hddvr. I also would like to be able to connect headphones. This is in my loft and need to be able to run everything via hdmi. We would also like to be able to put the headphone in so he(or whoever) can watch tv without competing with the downstairs tv.

My thoughts were an older avr, but the ones I keep finding are either to expensive or without hdmi. I thought about a hdmi switch but that wont cover the headphones. I thought about a componant to headphone male, with a female to female then plug headphones in. We have headphone for the xbox 360 but they only work with it.

So my next thought was a new very low end avr but I am not sure how cheap those can be.

As always thanks for reading.
How many ports do you need? Vanco sells one that comes with a remote and has an optical output for audio. I used one and so far, it has worked fine. I haven't seen any lip synch issues, either. It should be less than $160.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many ports do you need? Vanco sells one that comes with a remote and has an optical output for audio. I used one and so far, it has worked fine. I haven't seen any lip synch issues, either. It should be less than $160.
2 now but 3 would allow me to connect either another system or a bluray. The audio quality is not a concern. its more just for the switching and headphones.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would pick Denon over Onkyo, who recently admitted (finally) that they were having problems with their receivers.

If you only need the video switching, does that mean you want up-conversion, 4K compliance, lip synch correction, and all of the rest of what some AVRs do? If you want all of those, you're going to need a model from higher in their line. If just HDMI switching, the Vanco will work fine-

Look for this part number- Vanco 280562

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would pick Denon over Onkyo, who recently admitted (finally) that they were having problems with their receivers.

If you only need the video switching, does that mean you want up-conversion, 4K compliance, lip synch correction, and all of the rest of what some AVRs do? If you want all of those, you're going to need a model from higher in their line. If just HDMI switching, the Vanco will work fine-

Look for this part number- Vanco 280562
I guess I could look at this one of 2 ways I either need a new avr for me, and yes those things as well as dts-master, true-hd, networking (Hopefully wireless) and maybe a decent eq set up like audyssey. This would allow me to give my current avr to my sons set up.

OR

I low budget/second hand avr that can do hdmi switching to 3/1 and have a headphone jack. It doesnt look like the vanco can do headphone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts