AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about using my AVR for just my center and the surrounds. For my left & right (getting a used pair b&w 602 S3s) an Emotiva 2 channel amp.

Is this not a good idea? Will the sound be out of sync between the two during 5.1 movies using the preouts to the Emotiva?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

The sound will not be "out of sync" if you use a separate power amp as you are planning.  So you can do it if you want, or, rather, you could, if you had a receiver with the necessary preamp outputs, which the Pioneer VSX-1020K does not have, so you will need to replace your receiver if you want to use a separate power amp.  However, I doubt that a separate amplifier will be necessary, in which case buying the amplifier would be money for nothing anyway.  And if the amplifier were necessary for those speakers, you would probably be better off instead spending the total budget on more expensive speakers, instead of dividing it between speakers and an extra amplifier.

Also, for home theater, it is good to have a center channel speaker that matches the front right and left speakers.  Otherwise, when a sound pans across the front, it will change tonal character as well as location.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper  /t/1523901/avr-plus-separate-amp-possible#post_24519270

The sound will not be "out of sync" if you use a separate power amp as you are planning.  So you can do it if you want, or, rather, you could, if you had a receiver with the necessary preamp outputs, which the Pioneer VSX-1020K does not have, so you will need to replace your receiver if you want to use a separate power amp.  However, I doubt that a separate amplifier will be necessary, in which case buying the amplifier would be money for nothing anyway.  And if the amplifier were necessary for those speakers, you would probably be better off instead spending the total budget on more expensive speakers, instead of dividing it between speakers and an extra amplifier.

I was hoping to find a receiver with pre outs to replace the 1020K for not too much $. I was thinking about the separate 2 channel amp for the B&Ws because I read somewhere that it would be better for those speakers. I was looking at just replacing the 1020K with the Marantz SR6008 and using it for all the speakers and forget the Emotiva.

Quote:
Also, for home theater, it is good to have a center channel speaker that matches the front right and left speakers.  Otherwise, when a sound pans across the front, it will change tonal character as well as location.

Yes, I'm going to be replacing my center with the B&W LCR60.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

I think it would be a far smarter idea to put all of that money into better speakers, and just keep the Pioneer.  Assuming, of course, that actual sound quality is what you are going for.  Think about the total your plan will cost you, and then consider the speakers you could get for that money instead, if you spent all of it just on speakers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts