AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a pique of form over function, I just bought a new entertainment center that only affords 6" of vertical clearance (without drilling my own shelf holes) and 15" shelf depth (!). My AVR 2600 now sits on top next to my TV, which makes for poor WAF, and I'm off shopping for a replacement that is short and shallow enough to fit the space. It's not a terribly large room - 11' x 15', so no need for uber-high power output (I run the 2600 usually in the -25-20dB range); front speakers are about 7' from my sitting position.

I'm targeting the sub-$500 range if possible but higher-end suggestions welcome.

AV needs are:
Input:
- 3x HDMI input (Blu-Ray, AppleTV, and mediacenter PC w/ DVI out)
- 2x optical SPDIF input (TV broadcast audio, Audio from MCPC)
- 1x RCA input (turntable)

Output is 5+1 surround out to bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer. A mirrored stereo out is a strong nice-to-have as well; my wife has a moderate hearing impairment, and being able to connect that output to a hearing aid transmitter would be a definite plus.

Appreciate the suggestions!

·
Registered
10,873 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Marantz slim-line receivers are your best bet. The NR1504 appears to have everything you want. Check the manual about the usefulness of the front L/R pre-outs (haven't looked myself...).

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=NR1504

Jeff
Thanks for the link - but the specs on that model show the chassis depth at 14-29/64" - that gives me only about a half inch for cables, unfortunately. Needs to be shallower.

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
Cut out the back of the cabinet. Nobody will see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts