AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I sent in my Sony str-dh800 in for service with my directv protection plan. I pay $50 for them to fix anything from tv's, laptops, computers, phones, etc. I actually did a claim on my 5 year old 50in Samsung. They emailed me a day later that they would replace the unit with a new one instead of fixing the samsung. so they sent me an email with 3 options to choose from. 2 50 inchers (samsung, sony) and a 55 inch (LG). So i googled all three and chose the LG. Got the TV by UPS 2 days later. And I kept my samsung which only had 1 line going down vertically on the screen. WOW!

Well needless to say my sony AVR would not turn on. I did a claim with directv 4 days ago. They told me to mail it in to them with a prepaid label. I got an email today they will replace the unit with a new one. They emailed me 3 options. I googled them already......but i would like your opinions please?

I own 2 Onkyo AVR's. Also 2 Sony's....well now 1 sony. I have never owned a Yamaha.

I will have that AVR running a 7.2 or 5.1. It will run 2 JBL E90's, two subs, polk center, surrounds and two front highs.

Denon AVR-X3100W

Onkyo TX-NR737

Yamaha RX-A1040BL

thx.

·
Premium Member
93,254 Posts
The Denon is the only model that can EQ the subwoofer while the Onkyo won't EQ the FL/FR speakers either. Also, the Denon can pass HDMI audio to Zone 2 as well as has a Zone 2 HDMI monitor output to connect to a TV in another room. You may also want to wait a few more weeks as the new 2015 models should start being released in May.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Denon is the only model that can EQ the subwoofer while the Onkyo won't EQ the FL/FR speakers either. Also, the Denon can pass HDMI audio to Zone 2 as well as has a Zone 2 HDMI monitor output to connect to a TV in another room. You may also want to wait a few more weeks as the new 2015 models should start being released in May.

what about the Marantz sr 7007 will this do the same as the denon....thank you.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree. I read up on the audyssey and the Ypao or whatever the yamaha one is called. many site said there is really no significant difference. But either way the yamaha sounds like the best out of the 3.

Well my own research of different websites.....i went to around 6-7 sites and all gave it at the least 4.5 out of 5 and gave their own explanations why.

Other forums also gave it high remarks.

Very durable, reliable and great sound....the android app a major plus!

Many mentioned some problems with the Onkyo HDMI's failing in the future.

Denon I personally did not like when I read articles on it.

I have owned Sony and Onkyo AVR's. I have a Sony dh800 (which is the one i sent in through directv and are the ones sending me this Yamaha), Sony STR DN840 (currently in the gameroom and will be replaced by the Yamaha), Onkyo HTR590 (currently in living room and will be replaced by the Sony dn840) and an Onkyo HTR540 (currently in the garage and will be replaced by...u guessed it....the htr590).

I have never owned a yamaha. BUT I always here that yamaha is the best in AVR's.....now I will be the judge of that....i am excited to be getting this AVR as a replacement for my sony.....THX Directv!!!! lol

Read more: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...514-avr-replacement-advice.html#ixzz3XPS8mHxl

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
I'm curious about this DirecTV Protection Plan....they will replace ANY of your electronics? What's the deal with that??

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm curious about this DirecTV Protection Plan....they will replace ANY of your electronics? What's the deal with that??
yes. NOW I have had this premier protection plan for about 3 years. I am not sure if it has changed for new customers or not. I pay 25 extra month to be on this program. they cover TV's, cell phones, ipads, laptops, AVR's and any electronics you can think of. NO gaming consoles though.....(damn it!!!) Buy oh well. I am very happy with it. they already replaced my 50in Samsung with a 55 in LG. :cool:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
So in 3 yrs, youve paid 900.00 for the protection plan! At least youve been able to take advantage of it!

950.00 counting the deductable...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. Have not really been keeping count. But thx for bringing a number to my attention. So let's say you are right $900. Let's round it to 1000. Back when I bought my 50 inch Samsung approx. 2009 i paid around 1700. The LG I got with my protection plan was on average $899. The Sony AVR I bought back in approx. 2010 or 09 I paid 450. The Yamaha I am getting from the protection plan on average is 1000. Im still ahead. If I did not have it. Hypothetically I would have ended up paying 1000 for the avr and 900 for my LG (estimate obviously). Instead I payed $50 + $50= $100. So Yes I think it is well worth it. Who knows what might break next.....

OH and I kept my Samsung......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts