AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I`am looking into a new AVR any suggestions...

These are a few i was interested in so far ?

Pioneer VSX-94TXH

Denon AVR-3808CI

Sony STR-DA5300ES

Onkyo TX-SR875

Yamaha RX-V3800

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
How are we possibly supposed to help you? You have given no criteria. Read the owners threads on each receiver and research that way.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I own the 2700 and have been quite happy with it. The 3800 adds HDMI 1.3 and DD+/DTS-HD MA/TrueHD decoders.

The HDMI chip in the 2700 has been known to overheat, I had not heard if that issue was corrected in the 3800. Suppsedly the VP in the 3800 is an improved Anchor Bay chip. There's an online review claiming it's pretty good; the reviewer used some benchmarks to test it.

The music networking feature in the 2700 had some issues, but I believe a firmware update may have corrected them to some extent. The internet streaming feature works pretty good though.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogp34 /forum/post/13000321

sound and video is what i`am looking for the most...

Unless you were going to use it as a boat anchor, that's pretty much what everybody is interested in.
If the question is which of these have the best sound or video processing, that's a matter of opinion. You should probably read some of the posts in the owner's threads on these units, and you could also do a search for threads that compare some of these units, but searching for the unit's model number in the title of the thread. Also, you could search for threads with "AVR" or "receiver" in the title, as I think there's some comparison threads that will be found that way. There's plenty of threads with opinions comparing these receivers already, and the search function is your friend.

See, for example, this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=970745

If your question is something other than relative sound quality or video processing, then you need to be more specific and provide more details about your system and what you are looking to accomplish.

Your question is basically like: "What car should I buy if I'm interested in a good car for the price?"

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately i`am not much of an AV geek, when it comes to all the tech stuff with AVR ?

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty /forum/post/13000590

Unless you were going to use it as a boat anchor, that's pretty much what everybody is interested in....

Your question is basically like: "What car should I buy if I'm interested in a good car for the price?"

For cooking eggs, though, a receiver with the largest power consumption in the spec is the best. You cover all side vents, and the top with high quality non-stick aluminum foil, and watch a movie at a relatively high volume; eggs will fully cook well before the end-titles. This way you don't have to leave in the middle of the action, but have a snack ready should you get hungry. Once cooked to perfection, open the side vents to reduce the temperature, and make sure the eggs don't burn.

Seriously though, all those you mention will do their job fine. Check the specs to make sure there are enough HDMI, audio digital connections. I think Sony has the most of those, but may be a hair less powerful than the rest. Other than that, it's mostly a matter of preference. Go to a good store, and ask for a demo, maybe. Of course there are fans of each of the brands. In my experience, Onkyos may be a little more user-friendly than say Denons or especially Yamahas. A coworker of mine buys nothing other than high-end Yamahas, though.

- Val

1 - 8 of 8 Posts