AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks

Need some advice. I am looking into the possibility of upgrading my AVR. I just cannot decide if the upgrade would actually accomplish anything at this point in time. I will give my system specs below, then the AVR I am considering.

My System:

60" Pioneer Kuro Elite Monitor

Sony STR-DG500 Receiver 2006 Build

Scientific Atlanta HD Cable Box via Component

Pioneer BDP-1400 Via HDMI to Pioneer Kuro, Analog audio to Sony Receiver

Xbox 360 HDMI to Pioneer Kuro, Optical Audio to Sony Receiver

Nintendo wii, I forget how I have this set up.

Paradigm Monitor 7's V5 as the fronts

Paradigm CC390 V5 as the Centre

Paradigm Titan Monitors V3 for the Surrounds

A cheap Yamaha sub. Like $100 cheap.

My Listening / Viewing Enviroment

I live in a condo that is 1600 SQ in size. The actual viewing room might be 300SQ. I sit about 6-7 feet from the TV. Bare painted walls. Surround speakers sit four feet to the left and right sides of the couch, not mounted, but on paradigm stands. (Should be higher in my opinion)

I was looking at something like the Denon AVR-790. My question is, will I actually hear better sound? I currently have the volume at 40 of 72 for listening to TV and movies. When watching blu ray, using analog connections for the HD audio, I usually have to turn it up to volume 45 to feel like I am hearing the movie.

I know the AVR-790 has enough HDMI inputs to eliminate all the wires I need to get everything running. I also know it has the ability to upconvert. I don't watch DVD's anymore, I am too hooked on the blu ray quality.

So, we have established I have everything working on this receiver, would an upgrade provide anything substantial or beneficial? I have read some reviews that the sony avr I am using is just garbage.

Looking for opinions on the matter to help me make an informed decision rather than an impulse decision. I am well versed with the AVR-790's abilities and the forum here for that receiver.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I am hearing the HD audio via analog connections from the BDP-1400 to the receiver. Is there an audioable difference between hearing the DTS-HD etc codecs over HDMI or Analog?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Is that a Pioneer BDP-1400 or Samsung BDP-1400? I couldn't find any info on a Pioneer BDP-1400 Blu Ray player. And, the Sony STR-DG500 doesn't allow for multi-channel analog audio inputs, just stereo. So if your equipment list is correct, you've just been listening to stereo. How many actual audio cables do you have connecting your Blu Ray player to your AVR? I guess things just aren't adding up.

If, however, you do own a Sony STR-DG500, then that Denon would represent a pretty bug step up, IMHO.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, you are correct, its the samsung bdp-1400. I have five cables going from the rear of the blu ray player, (analog outs) to the rear of my Sony receiver, plus one for sub if I remember correctly.

The sony does have analog ins. I also know it has multi channel ins, as I have to hit the button (harmony remote does it auto) to utilize the analog in's when playing a blu ray.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Are you sure about the model numbers? All the info I found on the Sony STR-DG500 says this wouldn't work. The reason I ask is that it is hard to say if that Denon would be better without an accurate idea of what you currently have.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
I can safely say that yes the Denon would sound better. First you'll notice the power difference, second it has a good EQ program, and third its just a better receiver easily. Also toss in HDMI From it and you get to lose some cables. Its a good upgrade from what your'e using now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the model for the Sony is correct. The blu ray player decodes the HD audio and sends it via analog cable to the receiver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.