AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently looking to upgrade my Yamaha 1070...(setup is 5.1.2).
Want to go to 5.2.4 and looking at these three receivers:
Yamaha 2080
Denon 4700
Marantz 6015
My TVs don’t support 120hz so hdmi 2.1 isn’t a big deal. Of course I’m leaning towards Yammy because the 1070 has been reliable and sounds great.
Used for only movies and some gaming. Not one to sit down and listen to music.
What do y’all think?

·
Registered
13,033 Posts
Actually those are all good choices. Sometimes Denon and Marantz give you a lower version of Audyssey on their lower end models. In that case, I would go with the Yamaha since their room correction is less hobbled.

But in this case, those Denon and Marantz models include the good version of Audyssey, so that's not a factor.

I would go with the one that has the features you like best or that has the best price.

For example, Yamaha has MusicCast, Denon has HEOS, if you are thinking of doing any wireless audio or multi room audio and or have already got something compatible with one or the other.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
@Kurt11

I own none of these and despite the way I lay out features below I am not steering you either way since I am an Onkyo Integra guy (y)

As Nathan said, pick the one with the most features you need for the best price.

a2080 - 2 years old, capped at 9 channels processing, great for music and excellent ios app, ok room correction, musiccast and known for excellent reliability.

4700/6015 - brand new, hdmi 2.1 and hdcp 2.3, can expand to 11 channels, can fully disable all internal amps to become true pre/pro if you have external amplification, has good room correction for movies and dual subs with xt32.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I appreciate the comments.
The 11 channel aspect is the main reason I’m on the fence between the 3, but a bit apprehensive regarding the hdmi 2.1 chipsets... tried the tsr700 in a different room, and changing hdmi sources remains inconsistent even after the firmware update. Going to return the tsr700 and place the 1070 there. Therefore need something for the HT.

In terms of delivering the best 4K UHD and Atmos, would any one of them be a slam dunk? Or more less all of them are good and would be hard to notice a difference other than the improvement created by using 9 channels?
With being use to the Yamaha sound for some time, wondering if I’d be disappointed by a different brands sound.

Overall I think my hang up is I feel like I’m sacrificing build quality (Yamaha) for features (other brands). Maybe I’m wrong and that’s just bias...feel free to chime in.

·
Registered
13,033 Posts
I too have a bias towards Yamaha at this level. If you can stretch to a Anthem AVR you might feel that's a step up.

Among these three none are a slam dunk sonically versus the other. I do get the impression that Yamaha is handling hdmi 2.1 a bit better than the others but if solid hdmi 2.1 is a key feature frankly I'd wait for the next get, later this year, when it should be better sorted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts