AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this one is a bit complicated. It involves Tivo, Netflix and my RX-V3900.

I was watching a Netflix movie via Tivo, and subtitles were being cut off. The movie is La Femme Nikita.

w

I found that I could go to the Tivo menu, and change it's Aspect correction mode to panel and that corrects the problem. The theory, from someone on a Tivo forum, is that the movie is encoded in 2.35:1. I did not know this was possible, but it would explain the problem.

Normally, changing Tivo's aspect correction between panel and full does not change what you see on the screen, just how it's stretched.

First off, I did not know you could encode a movie in 2.35:1. I am almost 100% sure you could not do so on DVD. If Netflix got their file directly from the studio, I guess it could be in any supported format that could store and transmit on their server though.

If it's not in 4:3 or 16:9, I could see where Tivo would have to make adjustments.

Ok, so I set it to full, and the subtitles were cropped. I then set my Yamaha RX-V3900 to convert the signal to 1080p ( 1080i also works.) And then the subtitles are NOT cropped?! 720p DOES crop the subtitles. That means the subtitles are in the frame when the RX-V3900 gets the video signal. But that they are usually getting cropped downstream either by the 3900 or the TV. (Note that the TV is in true 1080 mode, it's not overscanning.)

I don't get this situation at all.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A follow up. The same person on the Tivo forum who suggested the movie is not in 16:9 from Netflix also suggests my TV is overscanning when not in 1080. That would help explain what is going on.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Non-standard sizes and aspect ratios do occur. What frustrates me is that on every computer monitor you can adjust picture size and position. Both my Vizio TVs have those adjustments -- however, I've never owned a 55"+ TV that did (without getting instructions for obscure commands in the service menu).

ALL TVs should have easily adjustable picture size and position controls -- preferably from the remote!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts