AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi!

Can you please advice? I plan to buy an AVR for $ 500-600. I will be using the AVR for both music and movies. Still what I do care about is the sound quality when listening to music. Movies are not so important in terms of sound to me.

- I am looking forward for something with a presentation synergistic to the Pioneer SP-PK52FS or SP-PK22BS 5.1 configurations which I will be buying due to my low budget.

- I am considering all options - new, refurbished or used gear.

- I don't care about such features as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Internet based services, apps or radio, AirPlay, etc. 

- I don't need anything more than 5.1 and I don't need any zone 2 or B zone. 

- I live in a country where I don't have the chance to listen to any gear before buying. I have to order everything over the internet. 

- My room is of medium size and I will not be able to use any room treatment. 

- The gear that I will be connecting the AVR to includes a Panasonic 50GT30 plasma TV, a Popcorn Hour 410 network media tank and a HDTV set-top box.

Researching online reviews (as a photographer I know how false these could be), I came across the following AVRs recommended as having excellent sound quality and available for up to $ 500-600 new, refurbished or used:

Cambridge audio 650r

Yamaha: RX-V477 (or 475), HTR 7065, A820, A1010

Marantz SR5006

Denon AVR-X3000, Denon AVR-2312CI

Sony STR-DN1040

Thank you and have a great day/evening!

Y.K.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I forgot to add - I prefer the unaltered and unequalized sound that was aimed by the performer and the recording engineers.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanec  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24575978

I forgot to add - I prefer the unaltered and unequalized sound that was aimed by the performer and the recording engineers.

Good luck in acheiving that, and with a low budget for speakers.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanec  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24575978

Remember that the acoustics of your room and the interaction of your

Speakers to the room's properties will have a profound impact on what

You hear and will more than likely be not even close to what

"Was aimed by the performer and the recording engineers"

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24575988

Good luck in acheiving that, and with a low budget for speakers.
I know the speakers are by far most important, but is achieving natural sound just wishful thinking at this price range?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanec  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24575939

Hi!

Can you please advice? I plan to buy an AVR for $ 500-600. I will be using the AVR for both music and movies. Still what I do care about is the sound quality when listening to music. Movies are not so important in terms of sound to me.

- I am looking forward for something with a presentation synergistic to the Pioneer SP-PK52FS or SP-PK22BS 5.1 configurations which I will be buying due to my low budget.

- I am considering all options - new, refurbished or used gear.

- I don't care about such features as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Internet based services, apps or radio, AirPlay, etc. 

- I don't need anything more than 5.1 and I don't need any zone 2 or B zone. 

- I live in a country where I don't have the chance to listen to any gear before buying. I have to order everything over the internet. 

- My room is of medium size and I will not be able to use any room treatment. 

- The gear that I will be connecting the AVR to includes a Panasonic 50GT30 plasma TV, a Popcorn Hour 410 network media tank and a HDTV set-top box.

Researching online reviews (as a photographer I know how false these could be), I came across the following AVRs recommended as having excellent sound quality and available for up to $ 500-600 new, refurbished or used:

Cambridge audio 650r

Yamaha: RX-V477 (or 475), HTR 7065, A820, A1010

Marantz SR5006

Denon AVR-X3000, Denon AVR-2312CI

Sony STR-DN1040

Thank you and have a great day/evening!

Y.K.

If you are building a basic system with econo speakers, then you are vastly overspending on the AVR, and would be better off redirecting a lot of the $500-600 into a good subwoofer.

A good source of quality AVRs in the $250-350 range is here: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Most people recommend an AVR brand that they have good experience with, well I'm no better than anybody else. Denon.

Since I said subwoofer, take a look at the Acoustech PL200 or BIC F12.

·
Registered
7,811 Posts

Quote:

To achieve that all you have to do is operate your AVR in Pure Direct mode. Also as for your budget on speakers research speakers as to as much as you can afford and get what you can afford. There are more than adequate speakers in your budget range that you will enjoy. Read reviews on the Andrew Jones speakers and if you like what you read, then order and try em out in your home. Don't like them return. There are others out there so then ask in the speaker sub forum with a price range and you should get plenty of responses. Good luck and hope you can find a system in your price range that you will enjoy for a long time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've helped four of my friends set up home theaters using the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers you are considering. For the price, the Andrew Jones Pioneers are exceptional speakers. You would probably have to spend three times as much to get better speakers.

Like you, my friends had low budgets and wanted a very musical system. Essentially, the solution was to use either a Denon or a Marantz AVR that had at least Audyssey MutiEq, such as the Denon E300 and the Marantz SR1403. (Some of the models on your list have been discontinued, by the way.) Stay away from Audyssey 2EQ which does not correct the bass frequencies.

Now, I know you've stated that you don't want equalization, but Audyssey addresses room correction, and that is something every music lover should want. Properly done, room correction reproduces music closer to what the musicians and engineers recorded. Without room correction you are listening to a recording as distorted by your room. If you still prefer the sound of your room without correction you can simply turn Audyssey off.

All my four friends are very happy with each of their very musical home theaters, achieved at a low cost. Good luck with yours!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24576016

If you are building a basic system with econo speakers, then you are vastly overspending on the AVR, and would be better off redirecting a lot of the $500-600 into a good subwoofer.

A good source of quality AVRs in the $250-350 range is here: http:// www. accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/home-theater-receivers/1 . html

Most people recommend an AVR brand that they have good experience with, well I'm no better than anybody else. Denon.

Since I said subwoofer, take a look at the Acoustech PL200 or BIC F12.
Arnold, thanks! That is one thing I suspected, but as a newbie was shy to ask - the specifications of most AVRs seem good enough to make them excellent for my needs. I will check some refurbished AVRs at Accessories4less as you suggested.

One question - is there actually a audible difference in the sound of AVRs in terms of some "brand/house signature sound" - some people write  that Yamaha's are more analytical while Denon's have warmer sound, etc... is this actually true or is it more of an audiophile legend?

Are subwoofers equally important for stereo listening and are there some more "musical" or more "movie" subwoofers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto3645  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24576244

I've helped four of my friends set up home theaters using the Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers you are considering. For the price, the Andrew Jones Pioneers are exceptional speakers. You would probably have to spend three times as much to get better speakers.

Like you, my friends had low budgets and wanted a very musical system. Essentially, the solution was to use either a Denon or a Marantz AVR that had at least Audyssey MutiEq, such as the Denon E300 and the Marantz SR1403. (Some of the models on your list have been discontinued, by the way.) Stay away from Audyssey 2EQ which does not correct the bass frequencies.

Now, I know you've stated that you don't want equalization, but Audyssey addresses room correction, and that is something every music lover should want. Properly done, room correction reproduces music closer to what the musicians and engineers recorded. Without room correction you are listening to a recording as distorted by your room. If you still prefer the sound of your room without correction you can simply turn Audyssey off.

All my four friends are very happy with each of their very musical home theaters, achieved at a low cost. Good luck with yours!
Thank you! Will Yamaha's room correction do the job if I happen to choose an Yamaha? And which of their models offer the needed level of room correction?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Pretty much all of them have YPAO, however you have to go to the higher end models to get subwoofer EQ.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24577415

Pretty much all of them have YPAO, however you have to go to the higher end models to get subwoofer EQ.
Thanks, that's good to know as I believe that exactly lower frequencies are those that will need adjusting in my room!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1526133/avr-with-the-best-musical-qualities#post_24577578

yeah I think so too, reason why I addd antimode. AV pre-amp has no room EQ of any kind
Is manual calibration by an inexperienced user possible by any means or should I better avoid doing it myself(besides distance and speaker levels which seem easier to get right)? As a photographer I manually calibrate wide gamut displays almost identical to industry leading calibrating devices, but this takes years of experience and while I am not deaf audio is still totally new for me.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I'd just use auto. If you had a Velodyne SMS-1 or a BFD you can do manual PEQ but it takes a long time pretty much hours and hours.

I couldn't be arsed with that, so antimode is perfect (although I would like to see before/after plots) I haven't bothered tweak my 671 with custom PEQ mode after calibration.

My two subs have PEQ built in but you have to fiddle with gain, width and thing controls on the back, so have to manually plot, then fiddle, then plot..can't be arsed. And that's even if your mic is accurate and calibrated, if it isn't then you're just dancing in the dark.

I'd rather have something like SMS-1, Antimode, SVS EQ1, or whatever is built into the AV amp/av pre-amp (or no EQ at all)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts