AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the rx-v677 for a while and I've been waiting for a sub-$400 price. Currently it's 379 on amazon. The AVR-X1100W is 324 at best buy.

I purchased the avr-x1100w before the price drop of the 677 and just wondering if it's worth it to return th 1100w and get the 677. They seem pretty much the same to me, the 677 does have some extra features that the 1100 doesn't have but the 1100 seems to be doing alright for me for the two days I've had it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it helps, the avr-x1100w is a denon and the rx-v677 is a Yamaha.

I've been looking at the rx-v677 for a while and I've been waiting for a sub-$400 price. Currently it's 379 on amazon. The AVR-X1100W is 324 at best buy.

I purchased the avr-x1100w before the price drop of the 677 and just wondering if it's worth it to return th 1100w and get the 677. They seem pretty much the same to me, the 677 does have some extra features that the 1100 doesn't have but the 1100 seems to be doing alright for me for the two days I've had it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input

·
Premium Member
163 Posts

Thanks for any input
You might want to consider AVR-X2100W which you can get for $399 from multiple dealers. With 2100W you get 2 more HDMI ports and Analogue to HDMI upscaling.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
The Yamaha AVRs are ranked #1 in reliabilty, Denon is #4 .
Be sure to carefully compare features and specifications for both brands/models as to confirm they meet your expectations..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
The Yamaha AVRs are ranked #1 in reliabilty, Denon is #4 .
Be sure to carefully compare features and specifications for both brands/models as to confirm they meet your expectations..

Just my $0.02... ;)
Just curious, where are the reliability rankings published? I agree, even by looking at the reviews Yamaha AVR's seem to have the least problems.

·
Registered
12,191 Posts
Just curious, where are the reliability rankings published? I agree, even by looking at the reviews Yamaha AVR's seem to have the least problems.
The primary research study was done by NPD in 2014 and is circulated to the trade, it is not published outside as it carries a significant cost. The study is done annually and for the last 4 years Yamaha has been #1 , in 2010 Denon was #2 however after their marketing/organization issues via the Bain Capitol (Mitt Romney) buyout in 2012 their market position and quality ratings have been deterioriating since then. Their USA organization for product development/marketing/tech support teams were stripped >125 people and those functions have been shifted to off-shore. Also they have closed most of the production factories in Japan and are now out-sourcing from China.

It is sad to see this happen to a once prominent brand, note that they are slowing having some minor improvement as they merge/reorganize their Denon and Marantz financial & technical resources together. Also they have sold off some of their other divisions such as the Pro-Audio & DJ. The CE business is a rough, challenging low profit one.. One can thank the big box & internet sellers and Amazon for the subject severe profit erosion.. Thats why one sees the changes within for the other brands such as Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I'm back to not sure what to do.

The 1100w has been alright so far except for some losing audio issues that have required powering off/on and even and an unplug for a minute when the web interface locked up and caused other stuff to not work. I was hoping these issues would be fixed when the firmware is updated when Denon's server is back up, they said in the next five days. I'm pretty sure though, the Yamaha isn't staying at that price much longer.

I kinda feel like with the issues I've had, I should go with the Yamaha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts