AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I await the arrival of a new DLP HDTV, I'm also in the market for an AVR. With the DLP processing, there is a definite need for an AVR with audio delay, probably up to 100 - 150 ms. I know that the mid to high end Yamahas have audio delay as do the Denons.

Does anyone know of any AVRs that have audio delay that can be set by input? In other words, it would allow one to have a different audio delay setting based on the input to the AVR.

Thanks in advance

JPE

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpenright
As I await the arrival of a new DLP HDTV, I'm also in the market for an AVR. With the DLP processing, there is a definite need for an AVR with audio delay, probably up to 100 - 150 ms. I know that the mid to high end Yamahas have audio delay as do the Denons.

Does anyone know of any AVRs that have audio delay that can be set by input? In other words, it would allow one to have a different audio delay setting based on the input to the AVR.

Thanks in advance

JPE
Why would you want to do that - the speakers are in the same position no matter what input :confused: so the delay needs to be the same.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdvduser
Why would you want to do that - the speakers are in the same position no matter what input :confused: so the delay needs to be the same.
jpenright is referring to the Master Audio Delay adjustment for curing Lip-Sync problems rather than the Delay Times for speaker distances. :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
H/K 635 although there isn't much delay time available...only 80ms. From another thread, it sounds like the new Pioneer Elites have lip sync delay adjustable per input and up to 167ms.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase H
jpenright is referring to the Master Audio Delay adjustment for curing Lip-Sync problems rather than the Delay Times for speaker distances. :)
Jase H, thanks for clarifying that, you are exactly right.

Also thanks for everyone else who chimed in, I've got some researching to do!

JPE

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
All Denon's with Master Audio Delay will let you adjust on a per Input basis. :)
From what I can see, the Denon's start to have that on the AVR 2805 on up in the model number....

jpe

·
Registered
584 Posts
Denon models that have the feature are the following:-

The upgraded AVR 5800, 5803(A), 4802R, 3803, 3805, 2805 and the newer 5805, 4806, 4306, 3806, 2106, 1906, 1706.

·
Registered
522 Posts
JPE,

make yourself free of brand names and have a look:
www.primare.net

Then brows for delaybox.

Two inputs/two memories per input,bypass and adjustable from 0-600ms, remote control.

I use it with my Lex MC-12, because the lipsync isn't big enough.

Best

Armin

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Denon models that have the feature are the following:-

The upgraded AVR 5800, 5803(A), 4802R, 3803, 3805, 2805 and the newer 5805, 4806, 4306, 3806, 2106, 1906, 1706.
Geez, I didn't even catch that the 06 series was out. Unfortunately I was looking at the 2805 (which doesn't have an "06" version yet). But, now the 2106 might do if it has it!

Thanks.

jpe

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
I still don't get it - what do different inputs have to do with processing delays in the display device?

A six year member with over 7,000 posts is asking this? :eek:

Different video processors can add varying amounts of delay to the video. Like DVD players, cable boxes, external scalers, etc. And the processing/scaling within displays themselves can cause video delay. By having the ability to delay the audio you can match the two......that way it doesn't look like you are watching a bad Kung Fu movie. The benefit of separate delay settings per input are due to the word "varying" I mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin2
JPE,

make yourself free of brand names and have a look:
www.primare.net

Then brows for delaybox.

Two inputs/two memories per input,bypass and adjustable from 0-600ms, remote control.

I use it with my Lex MC-12, because the lipsync isn't big enough.

Best

Armin
Hummmm.....first time I've seen that unit. I wonder how it compares to the Felson units? Looks like it is a little pricier for one thing.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
"Different video processors can add varying amounts of delay to the video. "

I know that, but the question was framed w/regard to the display.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Well, now that I reread the original post, I see that I may have mistakenly taken the second paragraph as a continuation of the first.

But it's really not that important...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
"Different video processors can add varying amounts of delay to the video. "

I know that, but the question was framed w/regard to the display.
This might help clarify my question a bit: the reason I was looking for it in the first place was that I will be taking the audio out of the DLP HDTV (cable feed direct into HDTV with a cable card) and running it into my AVR. Due to the processing of the DLP video and the different paths of the audio and video, there is a need to be able to "delay" the audio so it syncs up with the video. Being able to set delays by input means that I would be able to support some different video sources that may have different audio/video syncronizations (set some to 0, some to 70 ms). I wouldn't have to have all audio inputs delayed. Hope that helps....

jpe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.