AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 921 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In this week's special edition of AVS Can't-Wait releases, I introduce Sony's "Mastered in 4K" Blu-rays set to be released later this year.

At this year's CES show in Las Vegas, there were many Ultra High-Definition televisions on display. But very few companies were able to answer the critical question, "Where's the content?" Among the few that did address this issue was Sony, which—aside from its 4K online-delivery service—displayed the cover art of future Blu-rays featuring Sony Pictures films shot or scanned at 4K and then downscaled to 1080p.

These discs will have only the feature content without any bells or whistles. In fact, they are somewhat like Superbit DVDs. Since there is little native 4K content on the market at this point, most UHD displays announced at the show will mostly upscale 1080p content, making the new Sony Blu-rays a good short-term solution.

All the titles below are set to be released on May 14, 2013. No pricing has been announced.

I'm curious to find out how well these new discs will stack up next to standard Blu-rays, and if they will be up to snuff for anyone with a UHD TV.

Angels & Demons

Video

Codec: MPEG-4 AVC

Resolution: 1080p

Aspect ratio: 2.40:1

Original aspect ratio: 2.39:1

Audio

TBA

Battle: Los Angeles

Video

Codec: TBA

Audio

TBA

Ghostbusters

Video

Audio

TBA

Karate Kid

Video

Audio

TBA

The Other Guys

Video

Aspect ratio: 2.40:1

Audio

TBA

Spider-Man

Video

Aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Audio

TBA

Taxi Driver

Video

Aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Original aspect ratio: 1.85:1

Audio

TBA

Total Recall

Video

Audio

TBA

Are you going to be purchasing these optimized discs?

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
I see some double dips coming. I recently saw Ghostbusters at the Alamo Drafthouse in 4K on their amazing Christie projectors and it looked pretty remarkable for a 25+ year old film that never looked that good to begin with.

However, I would like to see some A/B comparisons between the "old" versions of these releases and the 4K versions to see how much of an improvement there really is on our current 1080P setups.

·
Registered
27,347 Posts
Call me when ALL new releases of substance are getting this treatment. But a scattering of titles like the above is hardly anything to cheer about. Besides, they should be doing this as standard practice for all 1080P Blu Rays.

Granted on your typical 60" LED/plasma, there will be likely less to gain, but I'd like to see my own gains on my 14' wide screen. Looks like these will best benefit the front projection owners.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whoa superbit flashback .. Why dint they just offer this in the first place , I really do not care about extras ... Ever (ok ok lord of the rings extended trilogy I cared). Also what a crappy selection .. They should be movies that deserve to be in fake 4k .. Only total recall and both Spider-Man's , the rest just don't need it great movies or not ..and some are just not

I am shocked they did not re re re re re re release the fifth element

Thou I did preorder the amazing Spider-Man from amazon just to compare it to the normal BD release on my new 65"VT60 .. No 4k for me yet

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Nope. Not going to buy any of these again since I already have the ones I wanted on Blu. By the time I end up getting a 4K TV or PJ the REAL 4K versions will be out.

Reactions: allargon

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I think the real question should be, is this paving the way for physical 4K media on a dedicated player? Right now streaming/downloading 4K for most people over their anything but 4K ready Internet service is a pipe dream.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Other major studios are doing exactly the same thing and have been for at least three years. Although I cannot name titles due to company policy I know that Paramount, Warner, NewLine, and MGM have all remastered classic titles in 4K. You may be able to find more online, try IMDB.

So there's a good chance you already have some 4K re-mastered BluRays on your shelf. This is nothing really new in the past three years, Sony is just advertising it to gain interest in 4K. The projects I was involved in were scanned (not telecined) at higher bit depths than BluRay or HDTV. These were also dirt fixed and re-filmed out to YCM separations for long term preservation.

Of course any new release that was shot digitally in 4K will have a BluRay mastered from that 4K data set. Also some films were mastered in 4K even back as far as 2006 - Black Dalia for example.

4K digital content is not that rare these days. It's just new to the consumer industry

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Any bets, Red Laser DVD Player will be were these will be going!?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wow, who chose these movies? Odd choices. I don't expect that Ghost Busters, Taxi Driver, or the Karate Kid will benefit at all but we will see. I'm very interested to see the comparison. I could have come up with a heck of a better list of movies that might benefit from 4K mastering (the 5th Element might be one) but this is just a little silly, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEd  /t/1470744/avs-cant-wait-special-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-releases#post_23264613

Wow, who chose these movies? Odd choices. I don't expect that Ghost Busters, Taxi Driver, or the Karate Kid will benefit at all but we will see. I'm very interested to see the comparison. I could have come up with a heck of a better list of movies that might benefit from 4K mastering (the 5th Element might be one) but this is just a little silly, IMHO.
Taxi Driver and the Karate Kid movie were already mastered in 4K, they'll probably be the same discs in new boxes. It's possible they might be new encodes of the same transfers but I wouldn't put money on it.

The only titles in the OP that would yield improvement are Ghostbusters and Spider-man, since everything else is made from a 4K DI to begin with.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I may pick up Ghostbusters (it's only $15 on Amazon) to see if I can discern any difference from my standard BD copy. I see why they're doing this but it is misleading since many Blu-Rays are already made from a 4K scan.

·
Premium Member
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2  /t/1470744/avs-cant-wait-special-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-releases#post_23264272

I recently saw Ghostbusters at the Alamo Drafthouse in 4K on their amazing Christie projectors and it looked pretty remarkable for a 25+ year old film that never looked that good to begin with.

Are you sure they were playing a 4K file? If so, how did you determine that? As far as I know, virtually all commercial cinemas play 2K files today, even on 4K projectors.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not sure I really understand all of the derision. It's a relatively new technology (new for the consumer), just like everything we currently use once was. Is the industry really supposed to lie down and conclude that they've gone as far as they can go and stop inventing new things?

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks these are a bad idea? Why create confusion for the consumer in the emerging 4K market. Just to grab a few dollars before real 4K blu-ray arrives next year? Most good blu-ray transfers where already done from 4K scans, so why start putting it on the box now.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech  /t/1470744/avs-cant-wait-special-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-releases#post_23265273

Most good blu-ray transfers where already done from 4K scans, so why start putting it on the box now.
The important part is that some of the not-so-good blu-ray transfers are getting remastered reissues.

I don't get some of the posts in the threads about this. When Fox or Paramount remasters some crummy old transfer everyone's like "well that's nice". When Sony does the same thing and adds some kind of superbit-ish marketing sizzle, people get angry. Go figure

1 - 20 of 921 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.