AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exclusive to AVS from IBM.

How to view The 2010 Masters in 3D via The Masters web site

System Requirements Module Content:

In order to fully enjoy the Masters 3D video via the Internet the following is required:

· a computer system capable of supporting 3D viewing.

· an internet connection capable of a minimum of 10 Mbits/second.

· a supported 3D player.

There are multiple computer systems that support 3D viewing. These computer systems require a specific video card, CPU, 120 Mhz monitor and 3D glasses to view the 3D content.

Detail Specifications:

There are a number of different computer systems such as:

· NVIDIA® 3D Vision™

· Acer Aspire 5738DG

· Asus G51J-3D

In addition the supported computer systems a video player which supports the play back of 3D video and streaming Windows Media is required. One such player is the Stereoscopic Player. This player is available for purchase at http://www.3dtv.at .

Masters.com Viewing Instructions Module Content:

To view the Masters 3D video via the Internet (using Stereoscopic Player) please follow these instructions:

1) Ensure connectivity to the Internet

2) Choose START, RUN ……

3) Choose File>Open URL (from the menu)

4) Type or paste the URL into the text field.

5) Click OK.

6) Change viewing method with View>Viewing Method (from the menu). This is where you might select your monitor type or the NVIDIA 3D Vision system.

7) Open video in full screen mode by double clicking the video window or selecting View>Full Screen Scaled.

If you are having trouble viewing the video in 3D, please consult the help for your system and verify other content is viewable in 3D. You may also want to refer to the support and help information regarding your video player and the setup process for your hardware. If you are using Stereoscopic Player for the first time, you may need to configure it for your particular 3D setup.

The instructions to view the Masters 3D video with a player other than the Stereoscopic Player will be different. You will need to start the player and “load” the following URL … and select full screen as a viewing option.

http://www.masters.com/3D/

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Ken,

Well done!!

Was there any indication from IBM that a canned recycling preview prpogram would be availble at Master.com prior to the first live 3D broadcast so that users could insure that they had met all the hareware and software requirements?

Also did IBM give any indication as to how many watchers the masters.com site plans to be capable of handling with the live 3D downloading?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/18405047

How to view The 2010 Masters in 3D via The Masters web site:

In order to fully enjoy the Masters 3D video via the Internet the following is required:

· a computer system capable of supporting 3D viewing.

· an internet connection capable of a minimum of 10 Mbits/second.

· a supported 3D player.

Thanks for the info, although when I first read the subject line I had hoped this was simple.

It kinda reminds me of the Steve Martin line:

"How to be a millionaire and not pay taxes--First, get a million dollars."

·
Registered
585 Posts
Very cool Ken, thanks for the info!

I would add some helpful keyboard shortcuts for Stereoscopic Player as well:

1.) To enter full screen mode: Alt+Enter

2.) To return to windowed mode: Esc

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixon /forum/post/18409510

Thanks for the info, although when I first read the subject line I had hoped this was simple...

Actually, it is. Stereoscopic Player will output to a variety of anaglyph formats (I know...yuck), so you could watch on virtually any display. If you have a pair of anaglyph glasses laying around it's worth giving it a shot.

Edit: I should also add that the anaglyph output that SP produces looks noticeably superior to the anaglyph 3D you may have seen on discs.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
how many of us currently own equipment to actually do this? how many will rush out to buy 3D before the masters?

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18409824

...how many of us currently own equipment to actually do this? how many will rush out to buy 3D before the masters?...

The information was posted as a service for those who do have the equipment or who might be interested.

·
Premium Member
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, M&K S-125, S-80, MX-90, Windows Media Center 4K HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:

how many of us currently own equipment to actually do this?

3D gamers with existing systems will be the primary group.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts

Quote:

how many of us currently own equipment to actually do this? how many will rush out to buy 3D before the masters?

I have the 3D vision system and a Viewsonic 120hz monitor. Works great with games, can't wait to try this out.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Thanks. I'll give this a try even though I'm not much of a golf fan. I've had 3D Vision since November and I love it for games.

·
Premium Member
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane /forum/post/18411302

I have the 3D vision system and a Viewsonic 120hz monitor. Works great with games, can't wait to try this out.

Bing!

·
Premium Member
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I might be mistaken on this, but I'm pretty sure that Stereoscopic Player will work with the Samsung legacy 3D plasmas. The reason why it would work, is because you can set your graphics card to output at 1360 x 768 (if you have the 50 incher), or 1024 x 768 if you have the 42 incher. In the Stereoscopic Player options you set it to DLP Checkerboard.

I'm assuming that if this Masters thing is going to work with Stereoscopic Player then it will have the ability to alter the output to the specific format that you require.

Am I off my rocker on this one? Will I actually be able to check this out on my Samsung PN50A450?

My biggest problem is going to be the minimum of 10 Mbits/second internet connection. I have a DSL connection from AT&T Uverse. I'm pretty sure it's like 5.5 or 6 Mbits per second. To have 10 Mbits per second, you need a REALLY fast connection. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this requirement. Hopefully there will be some way to download previous tournament video and play it in Stereoscopic Player, without having to live stream it, so the people with DSL can check it out as well (even if it isn't live)

·
Registered
585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/18414727

I might be mistaken on this, but I'm pretty sure that Stereoscopic Player will work with the Samsung legacy 3D plasmas. The reason why it would work, is because you can set your graphics card to output at 1360 x 768 (if you have the 50 incher), or 1024 x 768 if you have the 42 incher. In the Stereoscopic Player options you set it to DLP Checkerboard...

Absolutely. If you can get content into SP, you can get it out to a legacy Samsung 3D plasma. I have verified this myself with standard def 3D DVDs and the Samsung PN42B450. I haven't tried a web-based video feed yet.

You do need a graphics card that has a DVI or HDMI port.

·
Premium Member
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN /forum/post/18415088

Absolutely. If you can get content into SP, you can get it out to a legacy Samsung 3D plasma. I have verified this myself with standard def 3D DVDs and the Samsung PN42B450. I haven't tried a web-based video feed yet.

You do need a graphics card that has a DVI or HDMI port.

Although it may take quite an expensive computer, it's probably possible for a computer with HDMI to ingest content, then process and output the ingested signal in real time.

I'm very curious how the two sources will compare. I have my suspicions, but will reserve judgment until we actually see it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There seem to be a number of different type of free 3D glasses on the web -Anaglyphic

Red/Blue Lenses, Red/Cyan Lenses, and Red/Green Lenses...... - Which glasses will we need?

·
Premium Member
45,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by theback9 /forum/post/18415366

There seem to be a number of different type of free 3D glasses on the web -Anaglyphic

Red/Blue Lenses, Red/Cyan Lenses, and Red/Green Lenses...... - Which glasses will we need?

Depends on how you plan to watch. Using the info above from IBM, none of the anaglyph glasses would be used.

In order of general effectiveness for consumer products, active stereo LCD glasses would be the first choice, passive polarized glasses next. Anaglyph would be a distant option, altogether in much a lower category of performance.

If you were going to try the anaglyph method, I would check the Stereoscopic Player web site above for glasses recommendations. My guess is they have more than one anaglyph output option, and having the right set of glasses makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts