AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn’t ask team AVS about this, i figured i would just go tot he public and see what the consensus was...

I don’t think I post threads very often, but I had this idea..

While we have the DIY "system" forum, I figured we would probably want a transducer design forum too. It might be fun to have a specific forum on driver design -my niche

I enjoy talking about frequency domain stuff as much as the next guy.. but non-linear measurements are more exciting! We already have a few threads about just woofers, not systems

I would just like to see how much interest there is here for a specific forum on driver design. I know at least myself an John E Janowitz, are two transducer engineers that stop by here periodically, I'm sure there are a few more (at least their used to be), but we could cover everything from DIY recoing to advanced driver design and help give DIY system builders more of an understanding of that magical part you just buy and hope works...

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Do you want this as a DIY subforum? Or were you thinking of having it as part of your forum with your next, upcoming company?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Why?

That is unless you want to build one off subs for the DIY crowd again?

EDIT:

Should have said nobody wants to sell DIY folks parts to build a DIY woofer, or recone for that matter.

Personally I'd be right in line for TC 18" parts, everything but the motor and coil. Like an unassembled VMP.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm all for it... I like to learn the 'behind the scenes' kinda thing. I'd like to learn more things that are never really explained in a dumbed down fasion on here. And im sure that there are others that would like to hear it from the wizzards from behind the curtain.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Would there be enough traffic to warrant it?

It seems like all it would be is a thread or two...

I don't think there is even enough posts to separate Sub DIY and Speaker DIY out. The DIY section isn't all that crowded to begin with.

While I wish the DIY section had more traffic and would require multiple subforums just to keep things under control, I don't really see a need for it -- you could just as easily make threads in this main DIY forum and it wouldn't be overly crowded (I'd certainly read them -- more information is always good).

Mods and others may disagree and that's great, but that's just how I see it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
for one I would like to see a DIY sub section, DIY mains/center/surround, and then keep what we already have for general questions and such.

I would love to see more folks put their designs up, and getting help from others... kinda like HT w/out all the heavy moderation :p

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Good idea,anything DIY ...drivers,subs...I would be a regular.

To maintain regularity.

·
Registered
283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satansfx /forum/post/14189267

for one I would like to see a DIY sub section, DIY mains/center/surround, and then keep what we already have for general questions and such.

I would love to see more folks put their designs up, and getting help from others... kinda like HT w/out all the heavy moderation :p

I'm not sure - but I think Kyle is talking about actually design of drivers - not complete designs.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee /forum/post/14185789

I didn't ask team AVS about this, i figured i would just go tot he public and see what the consensus was...

I don't think I post threads very often, but I had this idea..

While we have the DIY "system" forum, I figured we would probably want a transducer design forum too. It might be fun to have a specific forum on driver design -my niche

I enjoy talking about frequency domain stuff as much as the next guy.. but non-linear measurements are more exciting! We already have a few threads about just woofers, not systems

I would just like to see how much interest there is here for a specific forum on driver design. I know at least myself an John E Janowitz, are two transducer engineers that stop by here periodically, I'm sure there are a few more (at least their used to be), but we could cover everything from DIY recoing to advanced driver design and help give DIY system builders more of an understanding of that magical part you just buy and hope works...

your insights are appreciated and there are surely a few folks who would appreciate sharing them. that said, the idea seems more like a thread than an area.

where it could really get interesting is if you or john j. could offer custom drivers for subs. then people would have something to talk about. most people aren't going to build their own, but conversations would get going fast if custom/customized drivers were available.

copper/aluminum windings, various cone materials (particularly for front facing projects where the driver will be seen), shorting rings, etc. could all be interesting.

i don't know. just some random thoughts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts