AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this on another thread but think the message deserves a header of its own

All you guys that will be getting new screens, additional bulbs, and any other odds and ends for your LT-150's should really give Alan and the crew first shot at your business!

He's really been great about the whole thing!

When another forum recently had criticism of their product they simply made it a closed forum so they are only ones that could profit from the bandwidth.

While Alan I'm sure will be screaming at the NEC rep the fact remains that he handles the product and undoubtedly was invoiced at a higher price than Dell has been offering them.

If it wasn't for the ability to post great deals many of us wouldn't have the projectors we have...or have coming to us.

Larry

------------------

G15 D-ILA

Lexicon MC1 7.1 system

Radeon Based HTPC

NHT, velodyne & bag end speaker systems

Panasonic, Dish, HDTV recording setup.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes it is great to have a forum that one can exchange information without being censored. This forum reminds me of the Santa Claus in The Miricle on 34th Street.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Maybe I am naive, but this is the way all forums should be. The ones that are slaves to their advertisers, should cease to exist as they should not be trusted. I see this in the PC hardware review websites as well. The one I still trust is Tom's Hardware Guide http://www.tomshardware.com

That website is defnitely no slave to their advertisers!

Please name the website in question that removed the thread about the great deal on the Lt150 from Dell. I want to take them off of my bookmarks if they are there. This just disgusts me.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Yes. I feel that this particular situation underscores the situation perfectly..as far as being a clear example of what it takes. You see, my understanding of it is that the forum 'stands on it's own.. and what business comes from it, comes from it on it's own.

The moment Alan ceases to see it that way, (and I don't think he will venture into that area, unless it falls out of his control) it will degenerate. You will see it, but it might not be obvious. It will be like tha vauge feeling of un-ease you get when you date a woman that is too much like your mother.. you can't quite put your finger on it.. but something is wrong. What would be wrong would be the undercurrent of the whole situation. I suspect that is very much the "Mood" of what you catch from the other sites, that you do NOT get here, at all. VERY IMPORTANT. I am sure there is constant pressure form marketing forces to move in this direction.

It is just that clarity of the future prospects must be maintained. What the forum will be in the future is always unclear. It is important to understand that what it is TODAY.. will bring much more to the future..IF the current direction is maintained.

As long as the vision is not distorted by short-termed profit motives..the forum will continue to grow. Short-term profit motives would kill it very, very fast.

The mood would be all wrong. It would cease to be anything of worth.

"There once was a Dream called Rome...." -Markus Aurelius, Galadiator.

That's the trick. Don't loose it.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Thanks for your posts guys.

Ken..I do agree with you. The sad fact is at the same time we need to start clamping down on some issues with the site. The biggest being dealers posting to the site in order to sell product. Same goes for manufactures as you know. So, we will need to start cracking down on issues like that.

If dealers or manufactures care to market or sell their products through this forum, we offer banner ads for it. We really do not want posts from dealers or manufactures for promotion, sales, or redirects to other places for purchase inside threads. This is even mentions in our agreement.

This forum does run on it's own for the most part. But this forum was a spin off from the main AV Science site back on January 1999. The original Q&A forum, started in 1995, was their for the purpose to draw people to AV Science with the hope they would purchase from AVS. We offered advise to people to help them better enjoy Home Theater and hoped they would purchase from AVS in return. Even though it was spun off, we still hold on to that same hope for we fell we do offer a great service.

The site has done very well over the years. We owe that not only to our beliefs in "People Helping People", but also in the rules we have setup for the forum members, and more so, between ourselves on how we do things with the site.

If you have not been able to tell, we enjoy doing this. We have even said to each other, when we no longer enjoy it, it will end. But we love Home Theater and the people who have this same like are great people to spend time with.

We hope you all continue to enjoy the site for years to come.

BTW: As far as the sponsors go...if you notice, we do not even allow the sponsors running ads to post in the forum with the context of marketing. They can post all they want to help others and learn from others, but they can not market. Once in awhile you will see a post from Alan or I about a product we really liked. They may or may not be a sponsor. If they are, we also do not find this to be wrong. For we feel we do say what we feel and most of the members know us this way.

------------------

David Bott
It's A World Of Entertainment...Experience It!

AV Science/AVS Forum Admin
http://www.avscience.com
http://www.avsforum.com
The Nate Home Theater

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited 07-24-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.