AVS Forum banner

2661 - 2680 of 4692 Posts

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
thanks,

i thought i saw someone here downloaded the blu-ray version and converted them to MKV. that i might save me some work. otherwise i will have to do the conversion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How can I calibrate my 3 weeks old SAMSUNG PS50B550 TV for UPC Hungary HDTV set-top box (satellite) source?

My notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium op. system) has a HDMI connection, but I haven' t in my possession a Blue-ray or conventional DVD player.

Can you give me a hand with it?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle-sas /forum/post/19785503

UPC Hungary HDTV set-top box (satellite) source?

My notebook (Windows 7 Home Premium op. system) has a HDMI connection

Unless the satellite has test patterns, the best you can often do is to calibrate the TV for a typical video source. Professional calibrators typically use pattern generators that provide this sort of reference output. The MP4 download should play with Windows Media Player, but by default it will be expanded to computer levels, and the video might also be changed in other ways depending on the computer's video drivers. With some computers it is possible to output standard video levels (16 black, and 235 reference white) over HDMI, but getting that output from a computer may be somewhat complex.

If you press "Print Screen" when playing the MP4 video and then "Paste" into an image editor (like Paint) you can sample the on-screen RGB values. For example by default the Black Clipping pattern will likely have RGB values for the "Reference Black" bar of 0 on a computer, rather than 16. Sometimes video driver settings or other changes will allow you to output 16-235 video levels (16 black, and 235 reference white) from a computer. My computer with ATI graphics will output standard video levels (16-235) using http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/compa...=article&id=12 and match with my other players over HDMI, but because getting a computer to output video levels heavily relies on the graphics drivers, it's generally beyond the scope of this project.

The following link may help with outputting video levels (16-235) from a computer:
http://www.upsilonsoftware.com/blog/...nt-levels.html

I believe the CalMAN HTPC Generator may get around some possible issues with outputting 16-235 levels from a computer, if you want to use those patterns:
http://www.spectracal.com/downloads.aspx

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dear Alluringreality:

Many thanks you for your notes on calibration #2664 and the others.

You're very kind.

Yours faithfully

Eagle-sas

Hungary, Tokaj

·
Registered
199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/19776026

For example I use Zoom Player for watching MP4 video, and the MP4 download can be used to check HD playback of MP4 video.

Why do you use Zoom Player as opposed to WMP or WMC?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,667
For some reason my i7 on Windows 7 locks up intermittently with MP4 video and Windows Media Player. After trying various reported solutions that didn't work, it was easier just to use Zoom Player. It's easy to change playback, and by blacklisting the Microsoft filters the lockups went away. Really the only unique thing about the player is that if you happen to run into a DVD with widescreen inside of 4:3 video, you can zoom in so that the widescreen will fill the screen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just tried burning the HDMV-2d version to a DVD+R, and it seemed to be fully working in my Samsung BD-C5900 Blu-Ray player (latest firmware 1009.1). Just in case anyone wants to know.

Thanks for the great work on this!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Just burned a copy to a DVD-R and it worked fine on my Sony BDP-S570 blu-ray player!

This is one of the best test disc I have used out of the three I own( Spears & Munsil, DVE, and WOW). Don't get me wrong all of those discs has it's own thing I like about them. But, overall AVS HD 709 is the best product!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

·
Registered
343 Posts
Complete noob to calibration looking for some help.

What i have on hand:

Macbook pro with DVI to HDMI that I use to watch .MKV's

Playstation 3

Epson 8350

What is my best bet? I thought it would be downloading the MP4 version and just playing through VLC (media player i use for .MKV's) on the macbook pro and adjust accordingly. Wont the color profile of my macbook effect the image that is ouput?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,671

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19825755

Macbook pro with DVI to HDMI that I use to watch .MKV's

Playstation 3

Epson 8350

VLC (media player i use for .MKV's)

Generally any part of the electronics used can possibly affect playback. Ideally you would want to calibrate each video source. If you watch video from both the PS3 and the computer then you would probably want to check the playback of each device. Some electronics, such as cable or satellite, may not offer test patterns, and in that case one way to handle things is to calibrate for a reference output like commented in #2664.

With the PS3 you could download the AVCHD and burn the image to DVD media. In that case I consider it safe to assume that Sony has made sure the different video types allowed for Blu-ray will all match. By using the AVCHD you would have a reference for Blu-ray playback on the PS3.

With computers things may not be as simple, depending on the software used. With Windows there are certain issues that can show up from different containers or video types, depending on the video drivers or playback software. I'm not familiar with Mac, VLC, or color profiles to really comment about any possible issues in using different containers or video types from the ones you would typically watch with the computer. It's possible that VLC may not exhibit the sorts of possible issues mentioned in the series of replies to smokarz (start at #2651), but putting the calibration video through the same modifications as other video you typically watch might be a more thorough check than simply using the MP4 download to check playback from the computer.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/19825949

Generally any part of the electronics used can possibly affect playback. Ideally you would want to calibrate each video source. If you watch video from both the PS3 and the computer then you would probably want to check the playback of each device. Some electronics, such as cable or satellite, may not offer test patterns, and in that case one way to handle things is to calibrate for a reference output like commented in #2664.

With the PS3 you could download the AVCHD and burn the image to DVD media. In that case I consider it safe to assume that Sony has made sure the different video types allowed for Blu-ray will all match. By using the AVCHD you would have a reference for Blu-ray playback on the PS3.

With computers things may not be as simple, depending on the software used. With Windows there are certain issues that can show up from different containers or video types, depending on the video drivers or playback software. I'm not familiar with Mac, VLC, or color profiles to really comment about any possible issues in using different containers or video types from the ones you would typically watch with the computer. It's possible that VLC may not exhibit the sorts of possible issues mentioned in the series of replies to smokarz (start at #2651), but putting the calibration video through the same modifications as other video you typically watch might be a more thorough check than simply using the MP4 download to check playback from the computer.

I am doing my best to understand that post #2651 because clearly that is what is happening. When i play the mp4 from the macbook pro through HDMI to the projector and run the basic contrast test I dont see any of the bars flashing. I guess this would be black crush?

I am also trying to find out if over HDMI it is possible for the macbook to output the correct values (not 0-255)

·
Registered
343 Posts
I installed blacklight to bring the display values up to where they should be, but even with brightness set to full (its 24 i believe) i cannot get bars 17-19 to flash on the brightness test. Not sure whats going on.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,674
Typical video gray uses 16 luma for black and 235 for reference white, as shown in the patterns. Computers on the other hand commonly use 0 for black and 255 for white. Often computers "expand" the video so that it fits with the computer range. Usually 16 goes to 0, and 235 ends up as 255. It doesn't have to always work that way, and 20 could end up as 0 after the expansion. Generally any video expansion will be handled either by the computer's video drivers or the playback program. Since I don't use the operating system or VLC I cannot really comment on what items to adjust for either changing or avoiding expansion.

Another possibility is that the computer could be expanding so that 16 goes to 0 and the display might not show the entire computer range. Some displays have settings to choose between typical video and computer input ranges. My Sony labels the input range as either limited (video) or full (computer), but since I'm not familiar with the display I also cannot comment on your display settings. Some displays have been reported as unable to display the full computer range, but generally I would expect most recent displays to have a way to set brightness correctly for computer inputs.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alluringreality /forum/post/19827981

Typical video gray uses 16 luma for black and 235 for reference white, as shown in the patterns. Computers on the other hand commonly use 0 for black and 255 for white. Often computers "expand" the video so that it fits with the computer range. Usually 16 goes to 0, and 235 ends up as 255. It doesn't have to always work that way, and 20 could end up as 0 after the expansion. Generally any video expansion will be handled either by the computer's video drivers or the playback program. Since I don't use the operating system or VLC I cannot really comment on what items to adjust for either changing or avoiding expansion.

Another possibility is that the computer could be expanding so that 16 goes to 0 and the display might not show the entire computer range. Some displays have settings to choose between typical video and computer input ranges. My Sony labels the input range as either limited (video) or full (computer), but since I'm not familiar with the display I also cannot comment on your display settings. Some displays have been reported as unable to display the full computer range, but generally I would expect most recent displays to have a way to set brightness correctly for computer inputs.

Thank you for all your help....im hoping someone with a similar setup will chime in...ill also check out the official 8350 thread.

·
Premium Member
10,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19826930

I am also trying to find out if over HDMI it is possible for the macbook to output the correct values (not 0-255)

I wouldn't expect that to be possible. I've certainly never been able to find out how to do it with Apple provided software.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Ghost here from Mirillis Team.

We came across this great calibration materials reported by a Splash PRO user

that experienced problems running AVS HD 709 AVCHD version with Splash PRO.

We have investigated the problem and found that AVS HD 709 AVCHD version is not 100% AVCHD compliant. It may result in playback problems with players that support AVCHD playback but do not support Blu-ray HDMV playback.

With latest Splash PRO 1.4.1 version we improved AVCHD format support and it is now capable of playing AVS HD 709 AVCHD version.

alluringreality: If it is possible, please kindly add Splash PRO to supported players table on first page of this thread. Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrmstrng /forum/post/19827363

I installed blacklight to bring the display values up to where they should be, but even with brightness set to full (its 24 i believe) i cannot get bars 17-19 to flash on the brightness test. Not sure whats going on.

I too have the epson 8350. i wanted to calibrate using the avs hd 709 files but ran into the same issue. im still trying to figure out what can be done about it but i don't really know where to start.

The projector is amazing although, to me at least, the images look too dark. im currently using "living room" mode. will work on calibrating some more on the weekend. will update if i figure it out.

regards

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,680
From the online user guide for the Epson 8350, page 37, I would guess that the "HDMI Video Range" allows for a computer input instead of typical video levels. The video here is intended to mimic typical video levels, but some players, such as computers, may alter the output. From a quick skimming of the guide I would guess the setting allows a choice between video and computer levels on the HDMI inputs.

2661 - 2680 of 4692 Posts