AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please include which player you have and what player you are utilizing for SD DVD upconversion if it isn't the same. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
PS3 is my main DVD player, unless it's a R2.....

Seggers

·
Registered
715 Posts
Any good-quality standard DVD looks better through our BD30 Blu-Ray player (HDMI connection to 50" plasma) than it ever did through our RP82 DVD player. I've never tried any of the upconverting doodads, we waited out the format wars and went straight from the five-year-old RP82 to Blu-Ray. Of course Blu-Ray discs look better still but something like "North by Northwest" which is one of our better-mastered DVD's sure doesn't give up all that much to Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I use both my PS3 and my Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player for upconversion to my 42" Sharp Aquos. There's very little difference in upconversion between the two players; both give excellent results. The PS3 boots and loads much, much faster, so I tend to use it unless the A30 is already on.

I also have a standard DVD player (a Pioneer "universal" player) connected to the system for use with SACD and DVD-A discs, but DVDs look terrible compared to either of the HD players.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi, I'm using my Pioneer BDP-HD1 Blu-Ray player for this task. It has the current firmware upgrade. Works fairly well but doesn't like some rental DVD's that have been scratched, fingerprinted and beat to crap. I always clean the DVD's before I play them and have had great success.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Denon 2900 SDI (SD) and BDP-S1 @ 480i (SD) into Crystalio II. SD Video performance is similar between the two with a slight edge to the 2900 for core MPEG performance. The 2900 has the advantage in navigation speed and layer change.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Panasonic DMP-BD50 for Blu Ray and a Denon 3930CI for DVD.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I use the Oppo 983 for PAL DVDs, and a Sony S550 for BD and SD DVDS. The Sony upconverts SD DVDs as well as the Oppo or my Toshiba XA2 (Reon Chip), both of which are considered top shelf upscalers.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While upconversion will never = BD quality but average J6P is sitting with lots of SD DVD. For them to get a BD player at this point with relatively high software prices and there being some good choices out there for them for upconversion bank for buck, ie. an Oppo, perhaps not cost effective for them for BD curently. As more folks buy an HDTV, they aren't going to wanna watch just SD DVD at 480p I feel though.

I was hoping to here more feedback on what folks are using.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
XA2 for SD DVD and HD DVD

PS3 for Blu-Ray

Everything I have seen using a Reon or Realta processor produces some stunning upconverted images. I wish I could take the Reon out of my XA2 and put it in my Onkyo 605, so every signal could get the royal treatement.

At least it brought new life to my SD DVD collection, which was collecting dust...Will

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'm also interested in this thread as I am on the fence about whether to use one player for DVD and BD or use separate players.

Right now I'm using my Pioneer BDP 51FD in "source direct" mode and letting my Pioneer Kuro TV do the upconverting. High quality DVDs look just that, high quality. Lower quality DVDs don't look as good. Letting the Pioneer BDP 51FD do the upconverting yields the same results.

I'm considering trying out an Oppo 983 to see how it does upconverting DVDs. I need to check out the return policy in case I don't see much difference.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I was using a PS3 for everything, with good results. Now I'm trying the Samsung BD-P2550 with excellent (and speedy / quiet) results. The Reon is amazing on my SD Concert DVD's. Very pleased so far.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nope.

Toshiba XA2 for SD DVD & HD-DVD.

Panasonic BD30 for BD.

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,333 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94 /forum/post/14990298

I'm considering trying out an Oppo 983 to see how it does upconverting DVDs. I need to check out the return policy in case I don't see much difference.

Oppo has 30-day return, 1 year warranty.

-Bill

1 - 20 of 180 Posts