AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using the AVCHD version in a Panny BDP60 on a TC-P54G10 plasma. I have used DVE-SD and AVIA in the past on my Sony CRT, with individual guns on/off with great success.

I'm seeing something odd with the Panny and don't understand why. I am completely successful at adjusting color and hue using the Flashing Color Bars slide with a DVE blue filter. However, when I view the Flashing Primary Colors slide through the filter, blue is way off and when viewing the Flashing Color Decoder slide, blue is at 14% down. BTW, red is 14% down and green is 7% down

I recognize that the green would need a decoder adjustment, which I don't appear to have in the sm but the blue just doesn't make sense to me. Am I misunderstanding my results or do I have incorrect expectations or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
The middle bars on the Flashing Color Decoder, the colors on the Flashing Primary Color pattern, and the Flashing Color Bars are all the same video levels. The expectation generally is that the blue on any would match. Off-hand I can't think of why using say the flashing color decoder to set blue wouldn't also work for the other two patterns, because the only differences would be that size of the area and average picture level would vary between the images. The Flashing Color Bars would probably have the lowest average picture level, so without a way to explain the difference I would have to suggest to use that one.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response alluringreality.

It's weird, I have also tried setting color/hue using the right section of the Flashing Primary Colors slide and Avia blue filter and it results in the Flashing Color Decoder slide with blue at best match, but returning to the Flashing Color Bars results in color/hue being way off.

I think I'll check against DVE-SD and Avia and see if that sheds some light on my little issue.

Update: I checked a couple of slides on DVE and saw the same behavior. Evidently, the panel is compensating/adjusting to the slides differently. I've got all of the user menu video processing "features" disabled. Sure wish I could turn this feature off. I'll do a little more investigating.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts