AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the AVT-3700 to hook up in between my Sanyo PLV-60HT and the Toshiba SD9200 DVD player. I'm using the RGP output of the 3700 going into the RGB of the 60HT.

Without a doubt, the AVT-3700 cleans up the image. I immediately could appreciate much less edge/motion artifact. The problem is that the movie image is reduced in size in the center of the screen, with large black bars around all four sides of the image.

If I use the 3700 to change from 4:3 to 16:9, it will fill the screen horizontally, but overly letterboxed on top and bottom (that is, objects look shorter/fatter).

The only way I found to defeat this is to use the RGB scaling properties in the projector to enlarge the horizontal and vertical dimensions of the image. But this seems to make the picture look less improved, that is more of the motion artifact comes back (but I need to recalibrate brightness, contrast, gamma and colors).

Does this have something to do with the fact that the native resolution of the 60HT is 1366 x 768 while the AVT outputs VGA 640x480, SVGA 800x600, XGA 1024x768 and SXGA 1280x1024?

If I change the output of the AVT-3700 to component the 3700 squeezes the DVD pictures vertically, like the DVD player is letterboxing the movie and then the AVT-3700 is letterboxing AGAIN. So a move with an OAR of 1.78 looks like its 2.35 (and objects on the screen look wider/fatter).

One other problem is that all of the above images are using the S-Video from the DVD to the 3700. When I use the component cables, the picture is really scrambled. It looks like your feeding a 480i into the projector, but you tell the projector to use a different resolution... all deinterlaced.

Any opinions? The AVT seems to do a really nice job cleaning the image if I can get the picture size correct. Thanks!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A small update. I think I might have solved the component input problem. I'm pretty sure I had the DVD player send a progressive image through the component cables. If I tell the DVD to send an interlaced, it should take care of the problem of no image through the component input. I'm at work now, so I'll have to try it tonight.

I'm still open to ideas regarding the squeezed image though.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
It's very difficult to get 1:1 pixel mapping with 60HT using HTPC/Powerstrip and impossible with AVT-3700 in RGB mode. You are correct when you said that XGA or SXGA won't match the WXGA of the 60HT. The best resolution for 60HT would be 720p via AVT-3700's component output (switch the back toggle to YPbPr instead or RGB) using its VGA->3RCAs component breakout cable (or a higher quality one like Canare cables from http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables.s...View/ACHD1&2D3 )--make sure it works well before investing in new VGA->component breakout cables).

If you are sending 480i into AVT-3700 and image is still scrambled then it's not syncing on green with your 60HT. You can try to unhook just the green cable from your 60HT and then replugging it to force it to resync. Sometimes this will do the trick as sync. is laced with the green signal. If this does not work then try 1080i. Sometimes the timings may just be off slightly and would make one resolution not compatible with 60HT.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went really digging into the setups of all my components (Projector, DVD and AVT-3700) and found that the DVD player had an internal menu set to screen shape: 4:3. However when I tried to change this, the DVD player doesn't let you change it.

I called Toshiba technical support for the DVD and got some young guy that was literally reading the manual back to me. Not very helpful. I told him that I couldn't change the DVD to a 16:9 television and he said it didn't matter anyway.

I'm not sure what gave me the idea, but I took the disc out of the player and went back to the setup and IT LET ME CHANGE THE TV SHAPE TO 16:9!

Sure enough, the image went to normal proportions! I believe I had the AVT-3700 in RGB at 1024x768. The picture was beautiful!. Well, not totally beautiful because I need to recalibrate brightness,contrast, color etc since I changed so many things trying to fix the aspect ratio.

The edges of objects in the image were soooooo smooth. It was VERY rare to see any jaggies on moving scenes or diagonal lines. I watched "8 Mile" last night and the image was very smooth.

It was getting late last night, so I didn't get a chance to switch back to the component output to try 720p and 1080i. I'll let everyone know how this works.

Edit: By the way, thanks Huey for your input!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I also have the AVT-3700 and a Toshiba DVD player. The player will let you switch from 4x3 to 16x9 as long as you have put the player on stop. If it is on play that portion of the menu is inactive.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Richard. It would have been nice if Toshiba would have put that little fact in their manual. Every other option and feature can be changed as a disc plays except for the TV screen shape. Their technical writers could do a better job... although the same could be said about almost every other electronics manufacturer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.