AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my situation. I have a Toshiba 61hx70 4:3 RPTV and a Toshiba SD3750 PS DVD player. With HD (1080i) sources the TV will do vertical compression but on 480i/480p it does not compress, so when i watch any

anamorphic dvd's i am loosing 1/3 detail because i have to set the DVD player to 4:3 rather than 16:9. For regular cable viewing the tv converts

480I to 480p and picture quality is pretty good. So here is my problem.

With the AVT3700 it will solve my vertical compression problem with DVD's

so i can get a true anamorphic squeeze, but i would have to set the DVD player back to 480i and scale to 1080i with the avt-3700, with the CD-HD I would be able to input 480P and scale to 1080i. Would this make much of a difference in picture quality?????

On regular 480i cable sources the AVT-3700 would be set to scale to 480p

as i beleive the 3700 cannot output a 1080i 4:3 picture. With the new CS-HD i would be able to scale 480i to 1080i in a 4:3 format. How much of a differance would a 1080i picture make compared to 480P picture???????

I also have an XBOX. Is there any advantages using the CS-HD compared to the AVT-3700 in this setup??????

Component switching would be done through my Yamaha receiver.

.............................Thanks in advance for all comments

· Registered
99 Posts
I can't answer most of your questions. But I can tell you that the 480p output from a Toshiba SD3750 DVD player is crap, so you would almost certainly get a better picture by letting any of the scalers you mention upscale 480i DVD to 1080i.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With either the AVT-3700 or the VLS-2000 will i be able to preset the different video inputs. I would want to preset the s-video input to 480i and output 480P as the aspect ratio would remain 4:3 for cable viewing and i would want the component input (DVD/XBOX) set to 480i and output 1080i in a 16:9 format.............thanks again

· Registered
5,132 Posts
Svideo is ALWAYS 480i. Component has to be 480i for AVT to work. It does not accept 480p or any other resolution. The AVT output resolution is memorized until you change it. In otherwords, if you turn it off when it was at 720p then it will be 720p when you turn it on. You can switch back to 480p or 1080i manually. Input switching is with 3 buttons: composite (video), Svideo, or YCbCr (component) and function independently. In other words it does not memorize 480p for Svideo and 1080i for component or 4:3 for Svideo or 16:9 for component. Aspect can be changed separately between 4:3 or 16:9 for 480p, VGA, SVGA, and XGA only. 720p and 1080i has no aspect ratio change at scaler level. You have to do the 16:9 squeeze at your display source (most HDTV and newer PJ can do this).

On a separate note, I'm not sure why you want to run at 480p if your display can handle 720p. 720p will look a lot better.

If you have the dough, CS-HD ($900) will be more flexible and better (Sil504 is better than Trident) any day. If you don't have or don't want to spend the money, then you will be happy with AVT-3700 ($400). It just depends on your priority and how much you're willing to spend.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Huey,

The reason i wanted to know about the input/output setting was to simplify switching from cable to DVD and vise-versa. So from what you say the will not memorize my last setting. IE input s-video was last set to 480i to 480p 4:3 OR input component was last set to 480i to 1080i 16:9. Each time i power up i will have to re configure the unit depending what the source is. Can you tell me if each input or format has a unique IR code or is it just a toggle ( s-video/component/composite same button) of different buttons. The reason is i am using a Philips TSU500 remote and if the AVT-3700 has unique (discreet) IR codes it simplifies my setup quite a bit. My HDTV cannot accept 720P only 480i/480p/1080i. I resize the CS-HD may be better all around but by how much and will i really notice?. Here in Canada whatever your cost, mine is X1.7 more and is don't have an unlimited bank account.....................thanks

· Registered
5,132 Posts
At 61" you probably won't notice a huge improvement of CS-HD over AVT. CS-HD has DVI but your TV probably does not support it. The AVT will remember what the last setting before shutting it off (though you could leave it running 24/7 as it was designed that way (per tech support) as it has a large heat sink on the video procesing chip). So if you had it on Svideo, 480p, and 16:9 format then it will turn on like that. If you switch it to component, it'll stay at 480p and 16:9 until you change the resolution or format. AVT's format button to enable 16:9 format (at scaler level) only works for 480p, VGA, SVGA, XGA, and SXGA. Your TV must do the 16:9 squeeze (cinema mode) for 720p or 1080i. If you had it on component, 1080i, and 4:3 format then it'll turn on like that, exactly when you had it last (if you switch your input to Svideo, it'll stay at 1080i and 4:3).

As far as the remote codes, I'm not sure as I'm using its own remote. It does have discreet buttons on its remote for brightness, contrast, hue, color, sharpness, language, format, resolution, composite (video), Svideo, and YCbCr (component). I assume if your master remote is a learning one then it should be able to learn this remote (but don't hold me to it as I'm not sure).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.