AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently got a C3 meter to calibrate my 65VT60 but decided to return it for a an i1 display pro which I will be receiving next week. Since I have never calibrated a TV and have zero knowledge or experience I have been searching for anything that can make this as painless as possible since I know this will have a huge learning curve.

I have found a great video that was recorded during a full calibration and the they go into detail of why they are doing certain things and what to look for. I am sure there is so much more involved then even this video shows but I think it is a really good starting point to understanding the basics. I think the most confusing thing to me is which settings to use when. This video touches on that and will steer you in the right direction.

I am looking forward to receiving my meter and jumping into this.....If anyone has any tips they can share it would be really appreciated. Like I said, the most confusing thing to me seems like it will be to know which settings to alter for what is needed and which slide to use to accomplish what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqWd8qs9YAk

If this has been posted already, my apologies...

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux  /t/1524762/awesome-video-for-calibrating-noobs#post_24543488

Cool

What software do you use to calibrate?

Calaman has an autocal function that can do amazing things with your set.
http://www.spectracal.com/Documents/QSG/Panasonic%2060_65_600%20Series%20QuickStart.pdf
I will probably start out with something free at first. I did look into Calman 5 auto feature but the version that offered it was more then I wanted to spend.

I do have a question if decide to get something like that. What is required as far as hookups go? Does your computer need to be hooked up to the TV? I would be playing test patterns on from my Blu Ray player. Do you just manually go through the slides and it auto cals based on each slide you put on?

I will probably start out with HCFR and see how it goes.

Also for the i1 meter, how close to the screen does it need to be? Does it need to be touching the screen or right up against it, or can it be like a foot back if I am in a dark room. I guess depending how far it can be will depend on what I need to get to mount it or if I can possibly use something I already have in my home to hold it there as long as it doesn't need to be right up on the screen.

The C3 meter was able to just hang over the TV so didn't require any type of mount but I am guessing the i1 will not do this.

I also keep reading about calibration tables, What exactly is this and is it something I will need to do with my meter before I actually use it?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Reactions: ConnecTEDDD
1 - 4 of 4 Posts