AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says feel free to post pics of builds that please the sensible side of your life! If you don't have that problem, well lucky you!

Reactions: Roctopuss

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
74 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Howdy

I feel like a dork posting my own stuff here. My goal was a pair of subs that didn't necessarily look like subs. I'll let others decide if they are awesome or would have passed the dreaded 'SAF' test...

Build thread here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1567794-dual-tc-sounds-lms-15-end-table-build.html

Cheers,

Jon
The subs look great but I think the bigger question is; how in the world did that painting pass the HAF? (husband acceptance factor) :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My signature.. All of em ;)
I guess I should have prefaced this thread with the goal of living/family room builds. While I am pretty sure my wife would let me put anything in a actual theatre room, I know the only thing you built going in my family room would be the extremely classy Classix IIs.;)

And guys, don't just think subs, I know there are many speakers here that are pieces of art:)

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
I guess I should have prefaced this thread with the goal of living/family room builds. While I am pretty sure my wife would let me put anything in a actual theatre room, I know the only thing you built going in my family room would be the extremely classy Classix IIs.;)

And guys, don't just think subs, I know there are many speakers here that are pieces of art:)
I really only meant the classix, rest was a joke, though my spouse definitely approves ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really only meant the classix, rest was a joke, though my spouse definitely approves ;)
I guessed as much but you never know:)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
This is a much needed thread. I really appreciate it. I do remember seeing an ottoman box that a guy did that was pretty awesome. I have plans to do my build as an end table so maybe it will be good enough to hang with the ranks of these deceptive builds.
Here's the ottoman build.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1340095

Sent from my HP Pavilion TS 15 Notebook PC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,588 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Very nice! Serious question: Can you actually place anything on the table while watching a movie? Seems like this table would foam my beer up pretty quick.
believe it or not, yeah. the table was made with 3/4 inch plywood, with a double thick baffle, and well braced inside. That plus the weight of the glass, and the fact that the glass is held to the table with a 1/4 stud in each corner, makes the whole thing pretty damn solid ( id guess its total weight is close to 225-250lbs). I watch movies at somewhere between -5 to reference and when i feel the top during the loudest of bass scenes ( hulk for example ) i feel energy, but the glass isnt really vibrating if that makes sense.

Having 4 18's in the room helps too though : ), since individually each sub is only calibrated at about 68-69db. When all 4 of them get going together though , I end up with LFE at about 3-4 db hot ( 78-79db ), which is perfect for me, because at more than that, I think bass starts to sound out of balance.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
1 - 20 of 254 Posts