AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pretty awkward room with lots of little cut outs and barriers. I think I have a pretty decent idea of how I will be setting up my system, but would definitely appreciate some help from the knowledgeable community here.

The hardest decision right now for me is where to place my sub. Where I have it labeled is in front of a closet door. Other locations I was considering were behind the closet door or in between the lovesac and couch. It is a downfiring subwoofer so placing it between the couch/sac would be nice because I have an area rug underneath, whereas in the other two spots I would need to place a small mat of some sort to help w/ deflection. The last location I was contemplating would be directly behind the TV.

For the front speakers/receiver, I was going to build a built in unit above the TV. The center would be faced slightly down, the l and r would be slightly down w/ an outwards angle. I also contemplated mounting the speakers on either side of the fireplace, but I feel that the placement would be too low.

The rear speakers don't have many other options....the only other way would be to place them in the middle of the room, which I don't know if I like that idea as much. Would I get better sound dynamics placing them more towards the middle of the room than the back wall?

Thanks in advanced for any help!!

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
- the best way to find out where a sub will work best is to push it around and experiment... with all the stuff you've got going on in there, even guessing won't provide much...

- a "rug" or a "mat" under your sub isn't going to do anything about "deflection"...
the only thing a rug/mat under a sub might do is soften some of the mechanical vibration it's transferring to the floor... and even then, it wouldn't do much (i.e. vs. a correct isolation pad)....

- the left and right speakers above the tv would be a bad idea...

- the surround speakers have to go to the side of you, not the back of you... so they can't go on the back wall...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19508822

- the best way to find out where a sub will work best is to push it around and experiment... with all the stuff you've got going on in there, even guessing won't provide much...

- a "rug" or a "mat" under your sub isn't going to do anything about "deflection"...
the only thing a rug/mat under a sub might do is soften some of the mechanical vibration it's transferring to the floor... and even then, it wouldn't do much (i.e. vs. a correct isolation pad)....

- the left and right speakers above the tv would be a bad idea...

- the surround speakers have to go to the side of you, not the back of you... so they can't go on the back wall...

1) I have hardwood flooring so I've read about downfiring subs having some deflection, others were suggesting a rug/mat...Never heard of an isolation pad where would I buy?

2) the speakers will be on the side walls, not the rear walls, but they will be close to the rear walls. Would I be better placing them on the archway pillar and to the right of my window (pic of window below, archway in first post)? Or above the archway/window?

3) Where else can I place the left and right speakers with my set up??

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
- hardwood flooring or no hardwood flooring, a mat or a rug will have zero effect on the sound wave coming from the sub... an isolation pad is something like the subdude... that will stop mechanical vibrations from the sub cabinet from transferring to your floor (and thus everything else in your room)....

- it's hard for me to tell from the pics...

- to the side of the tv would be your best bet...

to be completely honest, it's never gonna be "good"... with the tv above the fireplace and the main speakers that high, it's just not possible to make it "good"...

that being said, you've got to work with what you've got... you can make it "functional", but don't expect any miracles...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19509035

- hardwood flooring or no hardwood flooring, a mat or a rug will have zero effect on the sound wave coming from the sub... an isolation pad is something like the subdude... that will stop mechanical vibrations from the sub cabinet from transferring to your floor (and thus everything else in your room)....

- it's hard for me to tell from the pics...

- to the side of the tv would be your best bet...

to be completely honest, it's never gonna be "good"... with the tv above the fireplace and the main speakers that high, it's just not possible to make it "good"...

that being said, you've got to work with what you've got... you can make it "functional", but don't expect any miracles...

- I'll have to test my sub on and off the carpet to see how the vibration is and make a decision from there, thanks for the quick rundown.

- Well that doesn't do me much good. How about this. Is it better to have your surround speakers placed directly in line with the seating or offset slightly in front of the seating?

- I know it will never be GREAT because of how the room is, but I want to make it sound as best as possible with what I have. Would I be better placing the speakers just below the TV on either side of the fireplace?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
- test away, it won't change what's gonna happen...

- to the side... "in front of you" won't be good...

- you'd be better off putting the left and right to the side of the tv, as previously suggested... they won't sound right at all down next to the fireplace...

it's not a matter of sounding GREAT, and i'm not trying to discourage you... you can get functional sound coming from 5 speakers, but you can't change the "rules of audio", and given what you are working with, the law ain't in your favor...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19509239

it's not a matter of sounding GREAT, and i'm not trying to discourage you... you can get functional sound coming from 5 speakers, but you can't change the "rules of audio", and given what you are working with, the law ain't in your favor...

Lol I know I am very aware of that, which is why I want to spend as much time possible discussing theory of placement for my speakers. I know the acoustics in my room are horrible and the restrictions of my house makes it more difficult, but proper placement could possibly be the difference between my system failing and my system making the grade. Trust me i'm not getting discouraged, but instead of telling me its gonna be difficult, give me possible ideas to make it sound better than improperly placed equipment.

- I know it wont change whats gonna happen, but it will give me an idea of which style I prefer.

- When I say in front, I mean instead of being in a parallel line with seating it will be offset 4 feet in front of the back row of seating (it will still be placed on the sides of the seating).

- It would place them directly below the TV, not directly akin to the fireplace. At that location it is about 4' above the floor and 4' apart. *edit* if you look here and here you can see how the fireplace extrudes at the top, I would place it on either side of the extrusion. I'll take some better pictures of a straight on view a little later to show.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
ok, cool...

- the surrounds need to be either behind or even with the last row of seating...

- yea, better pics would help. what is on either side of the tv now?

- either above or below for l/r isn't going to work very well, unfortunately... but if i was forced to make a choice, i'd mount all 3 below...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully these pictures can help you out a little bit more. For the archway I was thinking I'd mount it on the inside of the archway and angle it towards the seating. On the window side I would mount it in between the window and the back wall. I can't really think of any other place to put them.

I've also included a picture of where the TV will be sitting. With your latest suggestion I've thought about having the L C and R be placed along the extrusion just underneath the TV....I might be able to slide the TV back a little bit and put them in front, but it would probably block the viewing angle for the TV. I can't mount my TV higher on the wall either because of where the electrical sockets/studs are back there. I have about 2 ft behind the TV currently.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.sperling8
Hopefully these pictures can help you out a little bit more. For the archway I was thinking I'd mount it on the inside of the archway and angle it towards the seating. On the window side I would mount it in between the window and the back wall. I can't really think of any other place to put them.

I've also included a picture of where the TV will be sitting. With your latest suggestion I've thought about having the L C and R be placed along the extrusion just underneath the TV....I might be able to slide the TV back a little bit and put them in front, but it would probably block the viewing angle for the TV. I can't mount my TV higher on the wall either because of where the electrical sockets/studs are back there. I have about 2 ft behind the TV currently.
Couch is too big for that place. You probably need something else. May be two separate chairs? I think that best place for TV is a corner between living and dining areas. Forget about 5.1, best you can fit in this room is 2.1 setup.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1
Couch is too big for that place. You probably need something else. May be two separate chairs? I think that best place for TV is a corner between living and dining areas. Forget about 5.1, best you can fit in this room is 2.1 setup.
I know, but I have a lot of people come over almost daily, less seating would be a disaster. Are you saying spending $1200 on 2.1 would be better than spending $1200 on 5.1 for my set up? If I went that route would it be better to go for some $400/ea floor standing or $400/ea bookshelf?

*edit*

Also I have a pretty decent 2.1 currently (Aego M), but it doesn't have a remote for volume which sucks and I WANT. It has pretty decent sound for my room, I just can't live w/out the remote.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.sperling8
Also I have a pretty decent 2.1 currently (Aego M), but it doesn't have a remote for volume which sucks and I WANT. It has pretty decent sound for my room, I just can't live w/out the remote.
Any modern receiver has a remote. $1200 will buy you good stereo receiver (look at HK brand, make sure it has digital inputs), pair of decent bookshelf speakers and 10" sub.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not to sound rude, but I'm not that dull. The Aego is a set up built for ipods or basic stereo, its not a true receiver set up and as such it doesn't have a remote. Amp is built into the sub so I can't really use any of the components (and I want to keep it as a unit)

I'm definitely not looking to spend $1200 on a receiver. I currently have a 5.1 planned out for $1200. Polk Monitor 40 x 4, polk cs2, BIC America 12", and Denon 1311.

Would I be better spent putting $300-400/ea for the 2 fronts, $300 on a sub and $300 on a receiver instead of the other route?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.sperling8 /forum/post/19511883

Would I be better spent putting $300-400/ea for the 2 fronts, $300 on a sub and $300 on a receiver instead of the other route?

Yes you will. And this is what I wrote about.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Seems to me you could get the speakers where you want them by turning the whole setup 90 degrees. Put the TV between the front door and window (maybe blocks the window, but I still think you'd be managing the audio better.). Would the couch fit in the room that way, or would it block off the whole room (could you fit between the end of the couch and the fireplace)? Just a thought.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred /forum/post/19513307

Seems to me you could get the speakers where you want them by turning the whole setup 90 degrees. Put the TV between the front door and window (maybe blocks the window, but I still think you'd be managing the audio better.). Would the couch fit in the room that way, or would it block off the whole room (could you fit between the end of the couch and the fireplace)? Just a thought.

It is a sectional, so I can actually arrange the couch in multiple different ways. It is currently in an L shape, I could basically have it as a J. The long part along the back wall is two pieces. The couch fits great in my room when set up that way, but it really minimizes how many people can comfortably sit on the couch (from 8 to 5). In this formation it can fit on any wall in my living room comfortably.

The one problem with that is my internet and TV cables are dropped in from the street right behind my TV, so I would have to run them over to that wall....which means pulling up baseboards and running cables (the old occupants already did this but the wires were cut). It was my original plan to put the TV there so I definitely haven't thrown that idea out yet.

How do you guys like the HB-1 MK2 for bookshelfs?

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.sperling8 /forum/post/19508625

For the front speakers/receiver, I was going to build a built in unit above the TV. The center would be faced slightly down, the l and r would be slightly down w/ an outwards angle. I also contemplated mounting the speakers on either side of the fireplace, but I feel that the placement would be too low.

I think you should try moving the front mains (L&R) further apart. Put the right over the sub and the left on the other side of the stairs. That way you can get some stereo effect and soundstage.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah the dimensions of your room suck for speaker placement. I'd go with a 3.1 setup, I'd wager the center would be critical for people sitting on the left part of the couch.

Problem with the TV over the fireplace is your left speaker. Either it's over the TV, which defeats the purpose of stereo, blocking the stairs, or in prime position to get whacked by the door.

What about getting a stand for the TV and putting it diagonally in front of the sub in front of the closet, get floor standing fronts, the L on the left hand side of the fireplace and the R opposing the cd rack on the right hand side of the entrance to the kitchen/dining room?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonengine /forum/post/19516942

Yeah the dimensions of your room suck for speaker placement. I'd go with a 3.1 setup, I'd wager the center would be critical for people sitting on the left part of the couch.

Problem with the TV over the fireplace is your left speaker. Either it's over the TV, which defeats the purpose of stereo, blocking the stairs, or in prime position to get whacked by the door.

What about getting a stand for the TV and putting it diagonally in front of the sub in front of the closet, get floor standing fronts, the L on the left hand side of the fireplace and the R opposing the cd rack on the right hand side of the entrance to the kitchen/dining room?

You know I hadn't thought of that yet...might not be a bad idea. My only concern with this is my sink is right on the other side of that wall....moisture + electronics = not good. I'm even apprehensive of setting my sub back there for that reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts