AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an xbox for $60 from gamestop.com. Bought component box for $12.99 off ebay. Bought component cable $5 and optical audio $5. Total=$82.99

Softmodded it with easy installer. http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=496263

Installed XBMC. Plays almost all formats locally, via dvd, via network. Music, picture, movies, and weather on top of other things.

Check it out. PM me for post below if you need help.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Everyone on here knows the original Xbox is a solid media center for people looking to get into the hobby.

I had one, and eventually will probably get one back for the bedroom to use as an extender.

Pretty much as your post hints at, it's a great idea for people on a tight budget. But also requires a lot of effort to get up and going, which unfortunately people on a tight budget don't often have.

·
Registered
957 Posts
And yes, it's not a solution for any kind of HD content. Just can't handle it. But other than that, it's a good option.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a list of people on xbox-scene that will softmod your box for free ( you pay shipping). I used the hot swap and ndure method. Total time for mod, XBMC install, and wiring was 2 hours. Not bad for a cheap HTPC. Only downside is not being strong enough for HD but for

1 - 7 of 7 Posts