AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Mitsubishi HC1600 as an upgrade to a 4805 and am not overly impressed. I chose it primarily because it's 720p, the $100 rebate and bulb...

But, I am seeing some rainbows, which I didn't on my 4805, and generally don't like it as much in terms of it's functionality.

That being said, the Infocus X9 is holding at $1,000 with no promotions, as is the Panasonic AX200.

Is there that big a difference in these two units to warrant another $350 without a spare bulb ($700+) over the HC1600?

Opinions please.

Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
So what's the main reason you want to get rid of the HC1600? Is it the RBE or is it because the picture quality isn't that good? If you can't take the RBE then go with either the AX200 and X9 because of their high color wheel speed. If its just for picture quality I couldn't warrany spending another $350 without a spare bulb because the HC1600 will have at least comparable picture quality the projectors you listed.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main reason is RBE. I am watching ED WOOD now and can occasionally see them in this Black and White film... Bummer.

So the Pan 200 is now that much better?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I just got my HC1600 and getting rid of it too.

I am coming from an Infocus IN72, and the HC1600 is a major downgrade.

The Hc1600 has major RBE.

It is so bad that simply blinking makes RBE appear.

Further, the brightness is not all that.

There was little difference between my IN72 with 2500+ hours and the brand new HC1600 as far as brightness.

Last, the IQ is well below that of the IN72.

I would much rather suck it up and buy a new bulb for my IN72 than downgrading to a lesser PJ.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:
I just got my HC1600 and getting rid of it too.

I am coming from an Infocus IN72, and the HC1600 is a major downgrade.

The Hc1600 has major RBE.

It is so bad that simply blinking makes RBE appear.

Further, the brightness is not all that.

There was little difference between my IN72 with 2500+ hours and the brand new HC1600 as far as brightness.

Last, the IQ is well below that of the IN72.

I would much rather suck it up and buy a new bulb for my IN72 than downgrading to a lesser PJ.

Which once again proves that it's not all about resolution. The IN72 is an extraordinrilly good projector and it's only 480p. There are a lot of people viewing 720p (and even 1080p) projectors that could do themselves a favor by viewing a good IN72.

Mits seems to have made a mistake with the 1600. After a near home run with the 1500, they wiffed on this one.

Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
you all say it is. I just ordered one and am VERY excited...the extra bulb deal makes it such a killer deal.

If the IQ is not good for some of you perhaps some time dedicated to calibration may be in order. Seems all the reviews indicate that performance significantly improves once setup and calibrated properly.

I'll be back to post a report as soon as I have it all dialed in. I'm expecting at least 7210 type quality.

·
Registered
935 Posts

Quote:
I'm expecting at least 7210 type quality.

It's going to produce a fine picture that you will certainly like, but there's no way it's going to be up to the standards of the 7210. If you have the two of them next to each other, both with relatively new lamps and quickly calibrated, the 7210 is simply going to produce a better picture.

Now having said that, all of today's projectors throw a good image, but there are very definite differences, especially when viewed side by side. The HC1600 is not a great projector, but the current deal on it is. So you're more than getting your money's worth. Enjoy it.

Jim

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where can I get a deal on a Infocus 7210 - ASAP?

A properly calibrated POS1600 provides a truly amazing picture - as long as Red and Green flashing in your eyes doesn't bother you...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I should rename this to the HC1600 bites *ss thread.

I'm going to buy a bulb for my 4805 and wait until there are better offerings out there in the under 1G range. The X1 and 4805 were perfect at the time - but I can't find that sweet spot this time around, having tried the H65 and now the POS1600.

And yes Buffalo Jim, I believe the IN72 is no doubt a superior machine - I want my 4805 back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. I currently have the IN72 (and love it, 80% SD-DVD use) - but kinda got a "mini" (restricted to 720P line due to budget) upgrade fever when I saw the HC1600 deal (rebate + bulb).

Looks like the HC1600 may not be an upgrade (at least a small "wow" factor) from IN72.

·
Registered
903 Posts
So what is the best projector under $1000 right now? Is it better to wait a bit?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace5000 /forum/post/15458955

Where can I get a deal on a Infocus 7210 - ASAP?

A properly calibrated POS1600 provides a truly amazing picture - as long as Red and Green flashing in your eyes doesn't bother you...

I forgot to mention this to you elsewhere, and it hasn't come up yet...

What about an Infocus IN76? When it launched in March 2006 it cost $3000 - you can find them for just a bit more than the X9 now (google is my friend!).

Seems to be a bit more upmarket than the X9... (although I still think you might like that one!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck /forum/post/15560145

So what is the best projector under $1000 right now? Is it better to wait a bit?

Really depends on your needs. There are SO many choices, so you have to start by looking at the room, throw distance, etc...

All the major companies make good projectors for $1k or less - but which one is right for you is the tricky part. That is why the PT-AX200 is so popular as it is probably one of the most flexible projectors on the market.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I need a short throw distance because I'm looking for something I can use in a regular size bedroom with the projector sitting on a desk.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlnluck /forum/post/15560677

I need a short throw distance because I'm looking for something I can use in a regular size bedroom with the projector sitting on a desk.

I would check out the Sharp DT-510. It is short throw and is available for well under $1000. Just google for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.