AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current fronts are rebuilt Dahlquist DQ-10's. Sub is a DQ-1W with 400 watt monoblock. Surrounds and center are part of a Polk box set (no comment). Receiver is a Yamaha RX-V665, (but I'm using the pre-outs with a 400 watt amp for the Dahlquists); 665 powers surrounds and backs.

I'm looking to upgrade this system and am looking hard at Emotiva UMC-1 and XP5-A.

I'm looking to upgrade surrounds and center and don't want to spend a fortune. I'm drawn to Axiom or Aperion.

I've always preferred fabric dome tweeters to metallic ones. (For those unfamiliar, DQ-10's have two fabric domes in each.) So I need some comments on just how bright (brittle) the Axiom's sound. It's not a huge deal to me and, after all, brilliance in the surrounds might just expand the environment a little more. (And dipoles won't fire right into the ears.)

My rears are Bostons which may also be upgraded. I'm guessing that dipoles for rears would have the same advantages as surround dipoles, no? Or do you want rears firing straight toward the front of the room?

My room is not very big only about 15x15 but open to the kitchen.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
They best way your going to know if you like a speaker is to listen to them in your own room. I really like Axioms, I could listen to them all day without "earbleeding" or Headaches like some say on here. I noticed you want to upgrade your center and surrounds, its very important to have the center and front left/right match. For example don't have a Axiom center with Polk left and right main, the balance and tone of the system will suffer. The rears don't really need to match but its best that they do, just not as important as the front 3. Dipoles and quads like the Axioms are great for larger rooms with 3 or more listening areas, I think you would be fine with something like the Axiom m2s for rears. Heres a comparison between the Aperion, Paradigm, and Axiom bookshelfs, http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...aradigm_v6.htm its kind of sad that a $296 bookshelf from Axiom was prefered against speakers that are $150 more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 /forum/post/17026380

I noticed you want to upgrade your center and surrounds, its very important to have the center and front left/right match. For example don't have a Axiom center with Polk left and right main, the balance and tone of the system will suffer.

Thanks for the reply and links.

I would LOVE to have a third DQ-10 for a center channel, but due to many constriants, I think that won't happen. (DQ-10's are about 30" square and need to be up off of the floor.) The "new" Dahlquist company made a center for a while but it's not listed anymore. So I'm stuck trying to mate something new to the existing. Logic tells me to replace the DQ-10's but I don't think you could "pry them from my cold dead ears." I've heard one speaker over the years that I think I liked as much as the 10's, B&W 800's. I just heard a set of Usher speakers and they sounded pretty awesome. I've never heard Martin/Logan's but would like to. (just rambling)

·
Registered
75 Posts
dhoover, I own a pair of Aperion bookshelf speakers with an Aperion sub in a 2.1 configuration. I really like them, naturally. I briefly compared them vs some Polk TSi series speakers. Both are silk domes, but the build and quality of other components is much nicer in the Aperions. I found that the Aperions were more netural, yet at the same time have more upper register "sizzle" (high hats and other cymbals ring out nicely). I compare them favorably to the sound of B&W's 600 series. As others said, hear them in your home. In the case of the Aperion Audio, the free in-home audition (shipping is paid to get them to you, and to send them back if you don't like them) should help you with that. Give 'em a listen, don't think you'll be disappointed. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I think you might be confused. If you can't find a center that matches your left and right speakers. You should replace the left and right as well, and get something that will match the new center. I would hold off on the surrounds until the front 3 speakers are of the same brand and series. Mixing and matching is not a good idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 /forum/post/17026879

I think you might be confused. If you can't find a center that matches your left and right speakers. You should replace the left and right as well, and get something that will match the new center. I would hold off on the surrounds until the front 3 speakers are of the same brand and series. Mixing and matching is not a good idea.

Thanks for the response. No, I realize the compromise. The room is small, the DQ's are big and I use them for my 2 channel listening (driven my McIntosh). I want to upgrade the separate HT without deleting the DQ's. I just don't have the space to add another set of speakers of the size I would need to satisfy my 2 channel listening.

I might end up just leaving the 2-channel system as it is and upgrading the HT system with better satellites, center, surrounds and sub.

It's a good thing I'm single; my living room is starting to resemble the Enterprise.

Now I'm wondering if the Yamaha RX-V665 will cleanly drive a smaller set of Aperions (full 7.1 set)

RX-V665:

RMS Front, Center, Surround=1kHz, 0.9%THD 8 ohms 90W each

I know they dropped the power rating on this new series and are rating it at 1kHz instead of full range.

I know even the small bookshelf Aperions fall into this range, but I'm a believer in alot of headroom. For that reason I was budgeting for more power like http://emotiva.com/xpa5.shtm instead of replacing my fronts.

I guess the fun of all this is in the journey, not the destination. (No, it's the destination.)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
If you do go with Aperions they will likely sound quite a bit fuller and cleaner with the Emotiva as compared with the Yammy, so the extra money spent on XPA-5 will be well wroth it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
howdy,

i haven't listened to all the speakers you're interested in but i do own a pair of axiom m22's. i love em. i've read quite a few reviews that call them "bright" and even heard of people painting the tweeters to dull them but i've never had any problems. your ears may vary, of course.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I know many that say the Axiom M80 sounds similar to the B&W 803's if that helps with the idea of the Axiom sound. You could always try a center from Axiom, shipping for only one speaker back to them(should you not like it) would only cost about $20, you could easily spend that much in fuel listening to speakers in stores and still not have any idea of what it would sound like with your system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts