AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm ready to order some Axiom speakers and their prices are unbelievable. I'm planning on using it to watch movie on my HK 525 only.

Room size is 25' x 13' and using the Axiom wizard recommended the M2 and VP100 center, I wanted to play it safe and get the M3 instead?

Any feedback or recommendation please.:D

·
Registered
716 Posts
If you can afford it, get the M22's and VP150. A lot buyers end up upgrading. I have the M22s/QS8's/VP150 and VTF2 driven by a 45TX. Love it. You can also go to the Axiom boards and ask the same question and get more feedback.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the HK-525 with the Axiom Grand Master speakers. I upgraded the center channel to the VP150, and added a M2i for the back channel, for a 6.1 system. I could not be happier, and My room is about the same size as yours. This setup is loud enough to drive people out of the room :D

Inexpensive...Not cheap

·
Registered
483 Posts
The M3 wouldn't be an "upgrade" from the M2i, it's just a different sounding speaker. The M2i has the clarity, and detail much like the M22, M60 and M80. The M3ti is considered one of Axiom's more laid back speakers, like their M40 and M50's.

Most Axiom owners use the M2i as rears speakers, and the M22 as mains (in a bookshelf system).

It may be a good plan to start with the M2i's as mains, get the VP150 (EVERYONE agrees it's a superior center channel to the VP100). Then when your wallet allows, buy a pair of M22's and move the M2i's to surround duties. Finally, the QS8's as surrounds and the M2i's again change jobs, and become rears.

I had to buy my setup piece by piece as well. It took awhile, but in the end I've got everything I wanted. It's better to buy piece by piece and get a great setup than to buy only what you can afford all at once.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My take on the differences between the M2 vs M3 is not that the M3 is more laidback. I believe the output from the tweeter is near identical between the two. However the M3 uses a larger mid/woofer and it has a different "voice." It goes deeper and has a bit more bass emphasis, which adds a slight bit of

"chestiness" to voices. Wherein the M2 is a bit flatter and doesn't go as low.

Many, if not most people, tend to prefer a warmer bass than a neutral speaker. If used without a sub, I suspect the M3 would be chosen by most people in a headup comparison vs the M2. I use M2s for my rear center channels, but if I was going to put together a 2-channel, 2-speaker system for my office or bedroom, I would rate the M3 higher.

When used with a sub, where the deeper extension of the M3 is not quite as important, and if one has a preference for a more neutral upper bass/lower midrange, then that person would likely prefer the M2.

The M22 is the big brother of the M2, using two of the same smaller mid/woofer drivers as the one in the M2. Thus it's sonic signature is closer to the M2 than to the M3, with more low bass extension without the bit of extra bass warmth found in the M3.

As to whether the M2 or M3 is superior depends upon your own listening preferences. The M40 and M50 towers will be a closer match to the M3 because all three of these use the larger 6.5" driver to handle the midrange, wherein the M2, M22, M60, and M80 use the 5.25" driver for the midrange.

In general, I tend to agree with the advice given above. Go for the M22 & VP150 if you can. If you can't then go M2 and VP150 if you can. Later you can upgrade to the M22, or proceed up to the M60/M80. But the M3/M40/M50 route is a fine choice and none of us knows which would be best to your ears.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I'm going for the M22 and VP150 and stay with my AR300 power sub for now. Does anyone think keeping my sub will make any differences or just go for the Axiom sub? Anyone have this kind of setup with different power sub?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Great choice Max. I have the M22's, VP150 and QS8 surrounds, and it is an outstanding system. You should love it.

Regarding the subwoofer, if you enjoy your sub, then there is no inherent need to switch to the Axiom sub. And, the Axiom subs are generally a bit lower regarded than subs like SVS and HSU anyway. Since you have a sub already, I would get the pieces that you need first (that is, fronts, center and surrounds), then upgrade the sub if you want.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maxshepard
Thanks for the feedbacks guys, I'm going for the M22 and VP150 and stay with my AR300 power sub for now. Does anyone think keeping my sub will make any differences or just go for the Axiom sub? Anyone have this kind of setup with different power sub?
I had the M22ti's and VP150 paired with a Hsu VTF-2. It was a great match, though any good sub will work fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.