AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the three speakers mentioned in the title of this post for 2-channel music. I listen almost exclusively to classical music in a fairly live room that's 13' x 21', with the listener pretty far away from the speakers. Without going into a lot of detail, I can tell you that the shape of the room and the decor don't allow much flexibility concerning placement and acoustical treatments. Speakers that have a mid-bass emphasis, or excessive brightness, don't do well in this room. My amplifier is a Carver m1.0t (200 wpc).


If you have heard any or all of these speakers and can describe a little about what to expect from them, I would appreciate the help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Well I own the M80's and I would have to say you will most likely need plenty of room to move these around until you get the sound you are looking for. I hear a lot of people mention how they find the high end to be a little bright. I would not agree but there are a lot of different factors to consider.

I always buy different pieces and even though I made a purchase already, I continue to explore the options that either I did not notice or decided against. I often find myself second guessing my purchase but in the case of the M80's I have had no reservations. I would buy them again tomorrow. If I was heavily considering the M80's I would check with Axiom to see if there are any other M80 owners near you so that you can audition a properly set up pair. You could also take advantage of the thirty day in home trial. Hope I helped.


~Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I live in a condo where walls have large windows (two sides are literally all window). Honestly, I don't know how much time you have for auditioning speakers, but I recommend home evaluation for at least 7 days before making the purchase. I own paradigm 60s v3 speakers. It's sonic imaging and sound staging is second to none in that price range (or bit more). But I found that the hi's tend to sound bit bright to hear, but I made it better by relocating the speakers and put some damping material around speakers. Had I not bought the speakers if I knew that my speakers would sound bright in my place? Probably not, but again that's shallow judgment as well. Because, now that the speakers are relocated, about 90% of times, I am amazed about my speakers I have. 10% of times, well .. I still think about how I can ease the Hi's. But, as you should know, listening pleasure often come from your mood and physical condition as well. So you need weigh that factor as well. I think obtaining perfect speakers are impossible like wines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
So Kal, with this statement by you..
Quote:
The F12's superiority was most apparent in the meat of the midrange.

Are you saying the F-12 ARE superior to the 60s'?

According to what you found in your review,...
Quote:
The Paradigm had more treble output, which gave it the apparent edge in detailbut there was nothing missing from or, indeed, out of line with the F12, especially when I listened on axis. The F12s' weakness in soundstaging, laterally but mostly in depth, might be due to the speaker's relatively wide front panel, framed as it is by sharp edges. The Paradigms could throw a wider soundstage with the speakers closer together,

..which did you prefer? And with the improvements in Version 4 for the 60's, will you be giving us a review with comparrison to the F-12's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,815 Posts
I still have the 60 v3s. I could not compare the v4s with the F-12s even if/when I get the v4s since I no longer have the F-12s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday I listened to the Studio 60's (both new and old versions) in 3 different audio stores. I found them to be both overly bright and somewhat muddy in the midbass. They also lacked depth in the bass. Even for listening to 2-channel music (let alone the depth charges in U571
) I would want to add a sub. In comparison, the Studio 100's were smooth as silk and had plenty of bass extension. I also happened to hear the Signature S2's, which were better to my ears in treble detail than either of the Studio series that I heard, but with no bass at all--you'd need a good sub with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach /forum/post/0


Yesterday I listened to the Studio 60's (both new and old versions) in 3 different audio stores. I found them to be both overly bright and somewhat muddy in the midbass. They also lacked depth in the bass. Even for listening to 2-channel music (let alone the depth charges in U571
) I would want to add a sub. In comparison, the Studio 100's were smooth as silk and had plenty of bass extension. I also happened to hear the Signature S2's, which were better to my ears in treble detail than either of the Studio series that I heard, but with no bass at all--you'd need a good sub with them.

Were all the speakers auditioned in the same locations? From my experience, I doubt there's a real difference between the 60s and 100s of the magnitude you imply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/0


Were all the speakers auditioned in the same locations? From my experience, I doubt there's a real difference between the 60s and 100s of the magnitude you imply.

The 60's were heard in three different audio stores and I had the same reaction to them in all three (they were REALLY bright in one store that was powering them with a Yamaha receiver--I didn't look which model).


The 100's I heard in two different stores.


In all cases these speakers were heard in well-upholstered rooms which I'm sure had been acoustically treated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach /forum/post/0


The 60's were heard in three different audio stores and I had the same reaction to them in all three (they were REALLY bright in one store that was powering them with a Yamaha receiver--I didn't look which model).


The 100's I heard in two different stores.


In all cases these speakers were heard in well-upholstered rooms which I'm sure had been acoustically treated.

Mebbe so. But my experiences (only 2 with those speakers) are different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts

Quote:
found them to be both overly bright and somewhat muddy in the midbass. They also lacked depth in the bass. Even for listening to 2-channel music (let alone the depth charges in U571 ) I would want to add a sub.

Hmm...I would wager to say that they probably weren't set up in the best spot. And of course for movies you would need a sub. I mean can you name a speaker that you wouldn't need a sub with especially in this price range?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 /forum/post/0


So Kal, I guess you're not gonna say which one you think is better?

Didn't I? Returned the F-12s and kept the Studio/60s.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top