AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
You'll probably find that Axiom owners will recommend the M80's and av123 owners the Rockets.

Check out both companies forums and see if you can arrange an in-home audition - the better choice for you may well be different than someone else.

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/14159542

what do you think the better choice would be? I will be pairing them with dual MFW-15's.

There is no "better" choice. It's all in the ears of the listener.

·
Banned
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in Toronto, the av123 audition doesn't include poor old us (yet). The Rockets are beautiful and I've yet to read a bad thing about them. On the other hand I could go pick up M-80's about an hour away from me. But I'm worried that I'll always wonder if I made the right choice...

·
Premium Member
7,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/14163643

I'm in Toronto, the av123 audition doesn't include poor old us (yet). The Rockets are beautiful and I've yet to read a bad thing about them. On the other hand I could go pick up M-80's about an hour away from me. But I'm worried that I'll always wonder if I made the right choice...

Until you hear both of them, you'll always worry if you've made the right choice, if that's your nature. In fact, even if you do get to hear both of them, you'll probably worry if you made the right choice. The problem is there is no right choice.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
There are a few Rocket owners in Canada as well. You might want to go to av123 and ask for an audition. I haven't heard the Axiom but I have heard Rockets. From my research, Axioms are a little brighter than Rockets. Rockets 850, Big Foot Center, and Rocket 450 on sale for under $2K is going to be hard to beat. Plus, the Big Foot is an amazing center. Not a lot a center in that price point can beat it. Their finish is superior to Axiom as well, unless you are willing to upgrade for more $$$ on Axiom to get the same finish as Rockets.

Completely agree with Tonygeno about making the right choices. LOL.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
crow - this is easy. Get the Axioms! The reason I say that is you can 'pick them up'. Take them home and listen to them. If you find them too forward (listen at louder volumes) and/or too fatiguing, then they are not the speaker for you but you won't incur shipping charges (just the price of gas).

Also, you may not have noticed, but the Axiom M80's are 4ohm speakers. Make sure your receiver/amp is rated to drive a 4ohm load. If not, you'll need to get an amp that can.

The Rockets are laid back, you can crank them up and not get listener fatigue, as mentioned the standard finish is much nicer, and they are 8ohms so whatever you have will drive them easily enough. But you will pay duties, brokerage fees, shipping charges. When you factor all that in, you can get the upgraded finish from Axiom for the same price.

Check out this site:

http://www.thefinalcost.com/

Find out from AV123 shipping charges - plug that in along with your US price, and this site will give you an idea of what the 'final cost' will be to your door.

But if I were in your shoes, and you can drive 4ohm speakers, I'd get the Axioms first and try them out.

Another suggestion, if you find the Axiom speakers too bright or too fatiguing, is the Energy Reference Connossieur line. You can get them at Future Shop now and they have amazing deals on them. You can go and listen to them for free and FS also has a 30 day return policy for a full refund on speakers, no questions asked.

I have the Energy's, I've heard the Rockets. Feel free to pm me if you want my thoughts on both (I don't post that here as a) it's subjective and b) I don't want to derail the thread).

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had free shipping to Canada on my 850's...I believe you have to ask, not sure if they are still doing it.

They will be shipped yellow freight and you have to pick them up or its extra dough for commercial address delivery. Self brokering is very easy and painless.

Total inc all taxes and duties for me was $1700!!! IMHO...incredible bargain, these things look spectacular

......and sound even better.

And oh yea...I had the M80's for 13 months till 5 weeks ago.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would have made the hour drive to hear the M80s before making a decision. I love my M80s and those I have talked to that own both Rockets and Axioms usually say the Axioms are brighter but not in a bad way, vocals and highs just stand out more, which is what I like about them, very deatiled even at low volume 75db and lower. I listen at these levels very often so the M80s were a good match for me.

I now find many other quality speakers to sound slightly muffled to me.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crOwcaine /forum/post/14163643

Ahh your more than just an hour away(more like 3hrs)from Dwight, Ont if you live in the GTA
. Although that's a drive I would be willing to make if I where considering the Axioms that is up to you? I've read numerous threads over at the av123 forum about shipping to Canada and ways around duty and brokerage fees but in my humble opinion there are enough options here that will rival the Rockets and they all sell locally and ready for audition

·
Registered
282 Posts
Is gas being fractured into this cost if he is going to be driving because that could start to approach the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p /forum/post/14169064

Ahh your more than just an hour away(more like 3hrs)from Dwight, Ont if you live in the GTA
. Although that's a drive I would be willing to make if I where considering the Axioms that is up to you? I've read numerous threads over at the av123 forum about shipping to Canada and ways around duty and brokerage fees but in my humble opinion there are enough options here that will rival the Rockets and they all sell locally and ready for audition

One has to pay taxes on any speaker purchase regardless, the only extra ding is 6% duty. I look at the Total cost inc delivery, taxes etc and then decide wether I am getting the biggest bang for the buck, OK Im cheap

Caveat,This is my opinion and observations only:

This is my 4th set of mains in 2.5 years. I can assure you that there are no speakers that I know of in SW Ontario that equal or rival the Rocket 850's for $1700 inc taxes and delivery. I am talking overall...SQ, build quality, fit and finish. The only exception may be the Energy RC70 (fit and finish not even close to the RS line) when they were on sale for $1300 last Xmas...and there were how many available for about a nanosecond?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey1 /forum/post/14171468

One has to pay taxes on any speaker purchase regardless, the only extra ding is 6% duty. I look at the Total cost inc delivery, taxes etc and then decide wether I am getting the biggest bang for the buck, OK Im cheap

Caveat,This is my opinion and observations only:

This is my 4th set of mains in 2.5 years. I can assure you that there are no speakers that I know of in SW Ontario that equal or rival the Rocket 850's for $1700 inc taxes and delivery. I am talking overall...SQ, build quality, fit and finish. The only exception may be the Energy RC70 (fit and finish not even close to the RS line) when they were on sale for $1300 last Xmas...and there were how many available for about a nanosecond?

Energy's are on sale now - ( the RC50 is $1200 off right now ) and I still suggest this route. The wood veneer on the Rockets are nice, but I find them a bit too 'red' for my taste. I prefer the Rosenut finish of the Energy (colour wise). I don't get the 'fit and finish' not even close comment though. The only thing not close (personal taste) is the veneer. The Energy speakers 'fit' perfectly, there's no seams or anything. They have feet to decouple them from the floor. They have a very nice piano black plinth on the bottom. So to say 'they're not even close' makes no sense. I also really like the magnetic grilles on the Energy's as opposed to the cheap clip on types (my friends grilles all broke within the first couple of months on his Rockets). So IMO I'd put the Energy's ahead on 'fit and finish', but I could understand the overall 'look' going to the Rockets, they are very nice looking speakers.

I've never heard the 850's, just the 750's and 550's. I've read the 850's are quite a step up from the 750's though. I still prefer the Energy sound, more neutral and I really like how they image.

But some people like to believe they are getting the best deals online. I'll admit that with the AV123 sale, plus the strength of our Canadian $ that sale is very attractive. If Mark is offering the same deal to Canucks (free shipping both ways) then that would be hard to pass up. But as Billy says, there's LOTS of speakers available locally at the same price point that are as good as the Rockets in terms of sound quality.

One other thing - the customer service at AV123 is astounding. My friend had a crack in one of his 550's when they arrived. It's at the top, about 9 inches long. He had the option of returning it or gettng a discount, he chose the discount and had a cheque in a week.

·
Registered
682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagul /forum/post/14169633

Is gas being fractured into this cost if he is going to be driving because that could start to approach the cost of shipping.

Gas would definately have to be factored in

1 - 18 of 18 Posts