AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently decided to upgrade my receiver to a Pioneer Elite VSX-47TX and plan on adding an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub so now I need some new main speakers. I'm trying to stay under $1500 so I've been reading some of the old threads on Axiom M80Ti's and M60Ti's and am thinking about giving them a try.

They also might mate well with my center - a Boston Acoustics VR12... (I will pick some in-ceiling rears after I figure out which front's I'm going with.)

My question is how are they for HT? I'm about 80% HT and 20% music.

I've been to a local shop and auditioned B&W 600 Series, JMlabs Cobalt 816, Paradigm Monitor & Ref series. I'm also very curious about Swan Diva 6.1's but there's no local dealer and I'm not sure what the return policy is...

Thanks in advance for the input - Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will clarify a little more - I look at the Axioms and their 6'5" drivers and wonder if they would be a little light on the bass...? The SVS will obviously hide a lot of "sins" up front in that area but still it's nice to know you have well rounded fronts.

The JMlabs Cobalt 816's sounded awesome but also seemed a little short on bass - they were brand new though and not broken in. Unreal highs and mids though!

I really want to hear the Swans too but no dealers or local owners...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Assuming you're crossing over a 60-80hz, the M80s or M60s would do fine. Heck I have the M22s and mated with a decent sub, they do fine crossed over at 80. I have a relatively large room too. I'd say mating them with the SVS would sound great. I'm sure Sushi will chime in soon!

Frank

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hahaha... Nice to see my name already recognized as an Axiom evangelist! :D

As expected (?), I would say give them a try! Combined with the SVS, I cannot imagine how you would possibly have a complaint in the "slam" department. As you know, people tend to criticize the Axiom, if any, as too forward and bright (which I disagree). I do not recall any reviews/user testimonials that complain a lack of slam or punch. For most music materials, the M80 will give you more than sufficient slam even without a sub.

I understand that the 47TX now features a full 9-band MCACC (very nice!). That will certainly reduce, if not completely remove, the possible timbre mismatch between the M80's and your VR12.

I would visit Axiom's own forum on their web site, too, before making decisions...

·
Banned
172 Posts
Hi everyone, has anyone compared the Axiom bookshelfs to the NHT bookshelfs?

I own a pair of NHT 1.5. I am wondering what the difference would be compared to the m22ti.

NHT has often been described as a bit bright, and lack bass (can't help in the bass department b/c of the closed enclosure design). What are the sonic characteristics of axiom compared with NHT?

And the aluminum woofers, how is it compared to the polypropyline woofers?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Fourseasons, I would try Axiom's own message boards with that question. One thing I can tell you right away is that the bass department is definitely not a strength of the M22's. The bass is accurate and neutral (never boomy, boxed, or otherwise colored) down to certain frequencies, then just disappear further below. In comparison, for example, the M3's have a slight boost in lower-mid bass, giving you an impression of fuller, more extended bass. In return, the M3 is less accurate than the M22.

As all bookshelfs do, you need a sub to get a truly full-range sound.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.