AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Axiom Friends,

I have been eagerly awaiting and putting aside cash to purchase my first set of Axiom Audio M80 v2's for weeks now and they finally arrived a few days after xmas. I am having a slight issue with the speakers, but I am sure it has to do with my setup so let me explain. (Please excuse the non-audiophile terms)

I am using a Creative Xfi Elite Pro as my pre-amp processor for movies, music, and gaming which outputs to a Luxman MX-100 Amp. The amp is about 20 years old and has a rated stereo (non bridged) power output of 140 X 2 at 8 ohms, or a bridged power output of 300 X 1. The AMP is most definitely an 8-ohm amp and I know the M80's are 4-ohm.

That is the setup. Now the issues. First off, there is an RMS wattage monitor right on the Classic Lux amp. When I am listening to music at low volume levels (less than 20 watt stereo bass peaks) the sound I must say is much different than anything I have ever experienced. At first I thought there was a problem with the audio track, until I listened over and over again to the songs and realized these were just instruments that I have never heard before in the songs. I am truly impressed and find a wonderfully warm and bright feeling to all of my music. Makes you want to just sit back and smoke a nice cuban cigar, drink a glass of cabernet.

Back on topic, as soon as there are any Bass Peaks of more than 45 watts, the low and mid drivers start "farting" and it is a violent fart sound. (excuse the non-audiophile lingo), so I have to immediately turn the audio down on my pre-amp. I can tell there is a lot of potential to be un-tapped on these speakers and I am hoping this is the issue because I have noticed after a good 5 minutes of usage the Luxman amp runs so hot you could cook an egg on top of it(where-as it never did this on my old polk 8 ohm setup):

I am hoping that this is just a slight issue with the 4-ohm load of the M80's clipping the power output on the 20 year old luxman 8 ohm amp.

Please someone verify!!!

Very kind regards,

Dominick V. Strippoli

Owner, SVTSnake.com

·
Registered
3,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick32 /forum/post/15542788

Dear Axiom Friends,

I have been eagerly awaiting and putting aside cash to purchase my first set of Axiom Audio M80 v2's for weeks now and they finally arrived a few days after xmas. I am having a slight issue with the speakers, but I am sure it has to do with my setup so let me explain. (Please excuse the non-audiophile terms)

I am using a Creative Xfi Elite Pro as my pre-amp processor for movies, music, and gaming which outputs to a Luxman MX-100 Amp. The amp is about 20 years old and has a rated stereo (non bridged) power output of 140 X 2 at 8 ohms, or a bridged power output of 300 X 1. The AMP is most definitely an 8-ohm amp and I know the M80's are 4-ohm.

That is the setup. Now the issues. First off, there is an RMS wattage monitor right on the Classic Lux amp. When I am listening to music at low volume levels (less than 20 watt stereo bass peaks) the sound I must say is much different than anything I have ever experienced. At first I thought there was a problem with the audio track, until I listened over and over again to the songs and realized these were just instruments that I have never heard before in the songs. I am truly impressed and find a wonderfully warm and bright feeling to all of my music. Makes you want to just sit back and smoke a nice cuban cigar, drink a glass of cabernet.

Back on topic, as soon as there are any Bass Peaks of more than 45 watts, the low and mid drivers start "farting" and it is a violent fart sound. (excuse the non-audiophile lingo), so I have to immediately turn the audio down on my pre-amp. I can tell there is a lot of potential to be un-tapped on these speakers and I am hoping this is the issue because I have noticed after a good 5 minutes of usage the Luxman amp runs so hot you could cook an egg on top of it(where-as it never did this on my old polk 8 ohm setup):

I am hoping that this is just a slight issue with the 4-ohm load of the M80's clipping the power output on the 20 year old luxman 8 ohm amp.

Please someone verify!!!

Very kind regards,

Dominick V. Strippoli

Owner, SVTSnake.com

I did a quick search for the MX-100 but could not find out if it is rated for 4 ohms. If it is getting "red" hot I would not use it until I found out.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My guess is that the amp is being driven into clipping creating heavy distortion

I wouldn't use it anymore as you can easily ruin speakers when this happens

·
Registered
682 Posts
As someone who had a Luxman M-02 go up in smoke in 1984 trying to drive 4 ohm EPI 202s, I can tell you NOT to use your amp with M80s. All Luxman Duo Beta amps were rated down to 2 ohms - except that many units left the factory with substandard components which caused them to become very unstable at loads under 6 ohms.

Mine was completely rebuilt by a former Luxman employee who knew exactly what the problem components were (paid for by Luxman). It has been running continuously since then with no issues on a number of speaker models.

Luxman amps were definitely mid level, so I wouldn't skimp on a replacement. Stay away from Emotiva. Despite their claims and published specs, many M80 owners have had these amps shut down.

If funds are limited, I would suggest the NAD C372 stereo amp on sale for $500 or the T955 5 channel amp for $800 (if you do a bit of searching).

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
M80v2 + MPS1 = shut down.
Emo will tell you it is the 80's dipping below 4ohm, NOT. Just look at the graphs. In my case it was the waveform limiter kicking in protect mode.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirquack /forum/post/15545840

M80v2 + MPS1 = shut down.
Emo will tell you it is the 80's dipping below 4ohm, NOT. Just look at the graphs. In my case it was the waveform limiter kicking in protect mode.

What the heck is an MPS1? I just looked at this thread again and I didn't see any mention of MPS1.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick32 /forum/post/15542788

Dear Axiom Friends,

Please someone verify!!!

Very kind regards,

Dominick V. Strippoli

Owner, SVTSnake.com

The only info I could find on the amp is that it puts out "150x2" .....no RMS numbers. IMO if it was rated for 4 ohms it would be putting out over 200 watts, enough to drive your new spkrs..

·
Registered
70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 /forum/post/15552330

What the heck is an MPS1? I just looked at this thread again and I didn't see any mention of MPS1.

I think he's referring to the Emotiva MPS-1 amplifier.

I have an Emotiva UPA-7 and it has been my first jump into having a separate pre/pro and amplifier. I really love it but it's good to know that it's a bit sketchy with 4 Ohm loads.

I was looking to get the Axiom M60's eventually (8 Ohm) so I should be fine. What about the VP150 center channel though? It is 6 Ohms, does anyone with Emotiva/Axiom experience think that will be an issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Okay I get it now......................dah!

having an amp that will go down to 2 ohms when needed is like having four wheel drive to engage when you find yourself out on the beach in deep sand.

·
Registered
710 Posts
There are many on Emotiva's forum running their amps with 4 ohm loads - Axiom M80s, even Emotiva's speakers are 4 ohm loads, so there could be an issue with one or 2 amp designs. I believe the XPA series uses a different protection circuitry than the MPS series.

·
Registered
955 Posts
As others have touched on, I think this is more then a slight issue. You can do serious damage to your speakers when running the amp to clipping. I would seriously consider a new amp more up to 4 ohm loads.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Emotiva IPS (same as the mps) and I can 4 ohms no problems.

·
Registered
156 Posts
jakewash

Thanks, I haven't posted the pics in the Axiom gallery yet but will soon.Below my pics are also pics of another member running is M80's and VP150 with an XPA-5.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Please excuse my excitement throughout the rest of this paragraph! lol

Well, the verdict is in! It was my Luxman Amp!!!!!!!!!!!! I hit the nail on the head with this one. It turns out the 3 to 4-ohm load of the M80 v2's was too much for the 20 year old amp to handle. I plugged in my Emotiva XPA-3 this morning and have been running the amp for the last 5 hours straight without a hiccup!!!! These speakers are absolutely stunning! It is a night and day difference now with this new amp. The bass is extremely tight and powerful, you can definitely notice that there is NEVER a lack of power during any peaks and you can basically go as loud as humanly possible on the volume. No distortion, no problems with sound whatsoever, just clean increases in volume! sick!!!! Let me go back to my music. Talk to you guys later and thanks a bunch for the help!

Dominick

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great to here you are enjoying.The Xpa3 must really make the M80's sing.Please post your thoughts on the Axiom forum also to help with this Emotiva/Axiom thingy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts