AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I am looking at either the Polk RTIs or Axiom M60 setup

I am hoping to get some suggestions from peopel that have heard both. I liek the Polks, but so many peopel liek the Axioms that I wonder if they are the better choice.

If I go Polk I am looking at

Front RTiA7

Center 90db CSiA6

Surrounds FXiA4

Sub PSW 505

If I go with Axiom I am thinking

Fronts M60 v2

Center VP100 v2

Surround QS4 v2

Sub EP350 v2

I expect to use either a Denon 2808 or 3808 to power them.

I am willing to hear other suggestions, but I would want to know why the other suggestion is better. My budget is $2500 total for a 5.1 speaker setup.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Since Polk can be found at places like Frys. I'd buy the Polks first. Listen to them in home...if they are everything u wanted and more..your search has ended. If not..return it (as long as u have all the original packaging and haven't destroyed any of the speakers w/in 30 days there is no fees). and order the Axioms.

~G

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My hope as that I will be happy with either. The Polks are cheaper so that is my first choice I just do not wish to short myself on quality.

I guess in the end I know the Polks will be good enough and since nobody is saying the Axioms are way better I have to assume they are at least comparable in build quality and sound.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think you won't find ppl saying a lot of things are way better on any speaker brand especially if they are around the same price point for several reasons: Not many ppl have taken the time to demo many speaker brands to themselves because it's a) time consuming and b) expensive if the companies have re-stocking fees or require you to pay for return shipping. Also speakers are all based on your tastes for acoustics and aesthetics. I tried out some Polk Rtis from Frys. I thought they sounded good, but needed way too much power..and they were HUGE (Rti12s). I returned them all (rti12, csi5, fxi5, psw505). Bought the Aperion Intimus 533 Cinema HD. I've had all the speakers installed for about a week now very happy with them, but I think I still need to do some calibrating and fine tuning. Before I make my final judgement

~G

·
Registered
278 Posts
A note on the polks:

The RTiA7 looks extremely similar to the just discontinued RTi10. The RTiA7 will cost you $450-500 a speaker, while the Rti10 can be had at Tweeter right now for $479 a pair.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by synovia /forum/post/12969979

A note on the polks:

The RTiA7 looks extremely similar to the just discontinued RTi10. The RTiA7 will cost you $450-500 a speaker, while the Rti10 can be had at Tweeter right now for $479 a pair.

Rti10s and 12s were on special at frys..i think i even saw the rti8s for $150 each..

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 /forum/post/12970690

Rti10s and 12s were on special at frys..i think i even saw the rti8s for $150 each..

Yeah, (just bought a pair), like $340 for the pair w/ shipping. Tweeter has a particularly good deal because if you break $500 (csi3 is $128, csi 5 is 250ish IIRC , and rti8s are $200 each, or the rti10s for 479 a pair) you get a free polk sub, which isn't great (way overpriced more than an issue of quality), but its free.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspin2k1 /forum/post/12967667

I tried out some Polk Rtis from Frys. I thought they sounded good, but needed way too much power..and they were HUGE (Rti12s). I returned them all (rti12, csi5, fxi5, psw505). Bought the Aperion Intimus 533 Cinema HD.

You felt that the rti12's needed way too much power, so you replaced them with *less* efficient fronts ???

·
Registered
710 Posts
I will say the Axioms are a much more revealing speaker, than the Polks. I have never owned the Polks but the instore demos left me wanting more, the mids and highs were not as forward as the Axioms, still nice sounding but I prefer the Axiom sound. The QS4s are great for surround speakers, they really envelop you in sound, rather than throw the sound at you. Axiom has an audition list on their website you may want to check them out, you could also demo the Paradigm studio series to get an idea of the sound I am talking about, they are very similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts