AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting together an Axiom speaker system that will consist of the M3Ti for L/R and the VP150 for the center channel. My dilemma is with the L/R surrounds. I’ve been able to locate some brand-new QS2s and I was wondering if anyone has done an A/B of the versus the QS4? Reading the specs, it appears that the QS2 and QS4 are very similar – with the QS4’s frequency response just a little lower (100Hz versus 110Hz). They both use the same 1†hybrid tweeter and aluminum mid/woofer with the QS4’s mid/woofers being slightly larger. I prefer the smaller footprint of the QS2 (WAF) but do not want to sacrifice sound quality. Finally, I can get the QS2s for about half the price of the QS4s. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My opinion (assuming you have a sub)...

Go with the M2's instead of the M3's and get the QS8's -- possibly go factory outlet if that'll make the budget #. The big advantage would be that you'd have the same drivers / tweeters all the way around.

I know you asked specifically for QS2/QS4 opinion, so, disregard this if its not helpful.

:)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies!

sputnikv8 - Since the M3s are only $20 more, I was planning on going with them over the M2s. The QS8s are just physically too big for my room - that's why I am between the QS2 and QS4. As for a sub, I'm still trying to decide between the HSU VTF-2, STF-2 and the Adire Rava.

gonglee - Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, they do not show any of the speakers being available in black which is what I want. While cheaper than Axiom, do their prices included FedEx 2-Day like Axiom? Also, according to Axiom, they are not an authorized dealer so I don't know how any warranty issues, if needed, would work. The M2s are also too big to use as surrounds as the speakers will be mounted to the left and right of the couch.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Before you make your purchase, I suggest that you post your question in axiomaudio forum at www.axiomaudio.com . You will get expert advice there.

I would recommend M2i instead of M3i. I believe M2i is tonally matched with QS4/QS8 surround and center speaker (VP100 and VP150). Also M3i are designed to be stand alone bookshelf speakers (without a sub) with a bigger driver(, hence more bass). Since you will be using a sub with your setup, you should get M2i.

j

·
Registered
137 Posts
The M3ti's match up very well tonally with either the QS4s or QS8s. They also are not designed to be used sans subwoofer exclusevily. They DO need a subwoofer to fill in at the bottom end. Just about every review I have ever read alludes to this. Although, if you're not a bass fanatic, the M3ti's play low enough that most music is plenty enjoyable....including the bass the 3ti's offer by themselves. I don't think you can go wrong with either the 2i's or 3ti's while using a good subwoofer. Regarding the QS2/QS4 question, the QS4's are very impressive while not being at all too obtrusive. The QS2's have been discontinued. I have never heard the QS2s, but I suspect Axiom no longer makes them because they are not the performance equal of any of their other offerings. On the other hand, maybe they are quite good??? I would get the QS4's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.