AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
two days now with axiom MT40i fronts. very bright sounding, maybe a little thin in the midrange???

·
Registered
859 Posts
atleast getting a refund on them is easy. And yeah. Axioms are a little on the bright side for me, too.Try Energy Speakers, man...

is your room well carpeted, and the windows draped? cause that can help tame the highs..

·
Registered
31 Posts
How many hours have you played your new speakers? I'd be interested to know if they eventually break in. Have you called Axiom and checked on the length of a suitable break-in period?

Walt

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3 days so far.. also getting quite a "hump" in the low end with music. maybe 100 hz or so. I guess i need to goof with placement a bit more.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustJalone
3 days so far.. also getting quite a "hump" in the low end with music. maybe 100 hz or so. I guess i need to goof with placement a bit more.
Large humps are most likely caused by room interactions. Have you run test tones and measurements? Most likely the room has more to do with your problems than the speakers. What is your room like (size, wall coverings, window treament, flooring, etc)?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Axiom's are often called "bright". The reason for this is usually one or two things.

1) Personal preference. If you like a laid back sound, then Axioms simply aren't for you.

2) (and this is often overlooked) Room acoustics. If you play clear, highly detailed speakers in a room with hardwood floors, and barren of wall fixtures and/or furniture, yeah, they're going to sound bright. But, put in a typically furnished room, with carpeted floors, or at least a rug, "brightness" shouldn't be a problem at all.

This of course can work both ways. If you do have a room with hardwood floors, and little furnishings, you'll probably want a more laid back speaker. Try the Rockets.

btw...the M40ti is possibly Axiom's least respected speaker. Axiom is best known for their M3ti, M22ti, M60ti, M80ti, and their amazing QS8 surrounds.

Good luck with your speaker upgrade. Keep listening, and you'll find the right speaker for you!

·
Registered
716 Posts
ok, what axiom owner DIDN'T click this thread?...

signed

owner of M22's, VP150, QS8's, and VTF-2 in a room w/ no curtains, hardwood floors, and minimal furniture, who believes that this is a GREAT system...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Same thing as oldskool said

m3ti, vp100, qs4 in a hardwood floor with a hsu sub

used auralex monitor pads for the speakers inside a custom av wall unit.

the sub sits on a large auralex amplifier pad.

I am more than happy with the sound.. Tight bass and I would say rather laid back speaker sound. music sounds great.

I had LOTR two towers in with my HK525 @ -20dbs and achieved a peak of +110 without any harshness. 75-80dbs reference

I would try the monitor pads for $30 and $50 for the sub it's a cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AALLOCA
Same thing as oldskool said

m3ti, vp100, qs4 in a hardwood floor with a hsu sub

I am more than happy with the sound.. Tight bass and I would say rather laid back speaker sound. music sounds great.

The M3ti, M40ti, and M50ti are considered Axiom's more "laid" back sounding speakers. Having said that, if someone hears one of these models and thinks they are too bright, they'll probably hate Axioms other models.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Swampfox
Large humps are most likely caused by room interactions. Have you run test tones and measurements? Most likely the room has more to do with your problems than the speakers. What is your room like (size, wall coverings, window treament, flooring, etc)?
carpet, drapes, big furniture, paneled walls, 20x12...

Avia disc, Rat shack SPL meter. Denon amp running at 0db setting generating 86 db (pink noise) at the listening position.

bass hump at 40-50hz was huge with the avia test. center in a corner now.. going to move that. music off CD still rumbling.. guessing around 100hz (in other words, not LFE effects)

LF speaker is against a wall.. no room to move it, so I have it angled away from the wall.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Have you visited the Axiom boards with this? Or better yet, you should email Alan Loft and ask his advice directly.

Axiom customer service is second to none. They'll do whatever than can to help you. If in the end you simply do not like the speakers, you can always send them back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am in the process of replacing my 1992-era Home Theatre/audio setup. My TV recently died, and I decided to take the plunge and bought a Sony HDTV plasma set. I complemented cable with DirectTV. I retired my old Yamaha receiver for a new RX-V1400 so I could get component switching.

Now for the audio. I currently have Boston T-930 mains, a Boston center, Boston book-shelf surrounds, and a Boston S-10 sub. This set still sounds pretty good to me, but frankly I have not listened to any of the speakers that have become popular in the last five years or so. My local BA dealer has switched emphasis from retail sales to custom installation and has very few floor models to demo. I suspect my speakers are behind the curve although I real have no comparisons to make.

From scouting around on AVS forum, it seems that Boston Acoustics reputation has taken a bit of a hit since the time I acquired my equipment and now the internet-only vendors such as Axiom (and Rocket et al) seem to be in vogue. The reviews for Axiom are pretty spectactular from a performance/value perspective. I am thinking about a test of the Axiom M60's floorstanders and VP100 Center. I'm also considering a SVS or HSU sub. Probably stay with my BA's for surrounds for the time being.

Now my home theatre room is general purpose and is a pretty sub-optimal audio environment. 11 ft. ceilings, 400 sq. ft., wood floors, lots of glass, not much upholstry. We will probably add some substantial draperies and perhaps some throw rugs but no wall-to-wall.

Folks have said that the Axioms tend to be bright. Will they work in such an environment? We have been about 60/40 in terms of AV vs. audio listening and I suspect maybe the AV proportion will tend to increase.

I appreciate the help of this thread.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i think almost any speaker will sound bright in your room. i love my m60's. you do need some curtains and carpets to soften them. if you enjoy detailed music, they are for you. you will listen to more music once you have them, i know i do more now than before axioms. cruise over to the axiom board to see if anyone lives near you that will lend a listen.

dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hope raising old threads isn’t a bad thing, as this is the perfect thread for my first post. :)

After a little research and budget manipulation I'm about to make a major HT purchase. I’m current thinking about:

Axiom M3ti x2

QS4 x2

VP100

Velodyne CHT-8

or

Ascend HTM-200s Bookshelves x5

Velodyne CHT-8

I like bright clear distinct sound, so I am leaning towards the Axiom. That being said, I’ve read that the Axiom sound that some may call “too bright†is not to be found in the M3s and you’d have to move up in the price range to get the renowned “brightnessâ€. I haven’t heard much about the QS4s at all… the QS8s get all the glory. I can’t really move up to the next class of Axiom (or Ascend) as things start getting too big and too expensive.

My question is to the folks that do own or have owned the M3ti and/or QS4. Are they brighter/cleaner/crisper than the HTM-200s?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
If you like that bright distinct sound....try the Axiom M2Ti instead of the M3Ti. I think they will be brighter than the HTM-200's, but not necessarily cleaner or crisper.

Also visit Axiom's own forum....good info there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since my original post I've become much more pleased with the performance of the system. I am trading in the term "bright" for "high intelligability" or "crystal clear"....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I understand that. :) I was thinking of "bright" as clear yet intense highs (vs midrange or bass). Some folks think it is too intense... hence the "too bright" moniker. I actually like that as long as it is clear and uncolored/distorted.

From what I've read both are extremely clear and accurate so I wasn't worried about missing out if I went with one or another in that regard.

I was just curious if the M3ti or the M2i were considered exceptionally bright or not. If not, I may go for the Ascends as I can't afford/don't have space for Axioms that can push the extreme highs and the Ascends are considered to have all the quality and a slighlty lower price.

P.S. I've been to the Axiom forum. What is the URL for the Ascend forum? I couldn't find it on their site. :(

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you really like all the clarity and detail, the M2i, M22ti, or Ascend 170 would be perfect for you.

As a stand alone 2 channel system, I'd go with the M22ti or Ascend 170. The M2i are amazingly clean and clear, but produce little low end. They're meant to be used with a subwoofer (for 2.1) , or as effects speakers in a 7.1 system.

Good luck. If you go with either Axiom or Ascend, you'll be more than happy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.