AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No recent discussion on using Axiom QS8's with Aperion 6T/5C front (and SVS sealed sub), instead of going with Aperion 5DB.

Axiom finish is not as nice, but they are a bit cheaper.

But forgetting cost, I've read some great things on the Axiom QS8. Very robust and filling. Highly regarded. Among the very best for under $1K.

Comments welcome.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Matching surrounds is less important than matching the front 3 speakers. Ideally, you should use Aperion surrounds, but it isn't that big a deal IMO.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Many others have done the same. I personally would go with the Emotiva ERD-1. It's a good bit cheaper, can be switch between, bi/di-pole and both the QS8 and ERd-1 were reviewed by audioholics and the ERD-1 actually was perferred between the two.

But yea, many here including myself have mis-matched surrounds. Great surrounds are hard to come by so many people (once they find a good set) hold on to them even though they may switch out the mains over and over, the mains of course also make the most impact when changing speaker in a system being they get the majority of action.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was in the same situation little awhile ago when I was picking up new surround speakers. AxiomQS8 was definitely one of my choice but ultimately I chose dipole/bipole switchable surround. So between ERD-1 and 5DB, I chose 5DB as my surround speakers but after I experiment with the setting, I prefer dipole for movie and bipole for the music, duh. But if I have to choose only one type of surround for movie and music both, I would choose bipole type.

For my home theater setup, matching surround speakers weren't necessary for good sound. I tried matching surround initially and later on with different brands without any ill effect. Finding good quality your preferred sound signature/feature surround speaker is much more important than strictly matching brand only with front three, IMHO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I've narrowed it down to the ERD and 5DB myself. I would prefer to stay with Aperion, but ERD are a lot cheaper. Will try to audition them together. Best sound will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justhavingfun /forum/post/19525368

I was in the same situation little awhile ago when I was picking up new surround speakers. AxiomQS8 was definitely one of my choice but ultimately I chose dipole/bipole switchable surround. So between ERD-1 and 5DB, I chose 5DB as my surround speakers but after I experiment with the setting, I prefer dipole for movie and bipole for the music, duh. But if I have to choose only one type of surround for movie and music both, I would choose bipole type.

For my home theater setup, matching surround speakers weren't necessary for good sound. I tried matching surround initially and later on with different brands without any ill effect. Finding good quality your preferred sound signature/feature surround speaker is much more important than strictly matching brand only with front three, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, look into the emotiva ERD-1s for sure. They're supposed to be just excellent. and with their boundary+treble adjustment switches, you may be able to get a closer timbre to the aperions if the neutral setting doesn't work out (although I think it will)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts