AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. Judging from the last thread, hardly a soul thought the Aperions would be a better speaker selection than Rockets or Axioms... and given the speakers chosen, that the Rockets would be a better bargain. I have listened to a friend's Axioms and was very happy with the sound... but have heard a great many good things about the Rockets. I also have decided to splurge a little on the Axioms, should I choose them, thereby changing my configuration a bit. So, as a relative novice, I logically need someone to hold my hand in making the decision. Also, there are a couple more on-point questions I have to ask. So lets us get started:

Axiom system:

M60 fronts

VP150 center

and M22ti OR QS8 surrounds ( question 1--we listen to a bit of music, so I am leaning toward M22ti's over the QS8's--is that logical; Question 1.5: or would the smaller M3's suffice for surrounds)

Rockets:

550 fronts

200 center

300 surrounds

The system prices would be about the same under both situations... given the shipping the Axioms might even be cheaper.

Question 2: I have a Pioneer Elite 45Tx receiver. It goes down to 6 ohms. Is that going to be enough punch to power the M80's or am I going to need a separate amplifier?

Possible Question 3: How would I go about connecting a separate amplifier to power the front 2 channels and still have it work with the overall 5.1 sound.

Question 4: With the apparent size and power of the M80's would I NEED a subwoofer (I have a HSU VTF-2) and if so, should I go with the Axiom, or keep the HSU?

Any and all advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

PS. B--this is on the down-low : )

· Registered
133 Posts
I would recommend you keep the HSU. In addition I would downgrade to the M60 in the front. They are easier on the amp, in addition the M80 requires a lot of work to find a sweet spot.

My vote is for the Axiom's, though I have never heard the rockets.

-BigK35-

· Registered
638 Posts
Before I vote ... what type of sound do you like better ... give examples of speakers you've heard and like.

A word of caution on the M-80's ..... It has been reported that set up is very critical . Personally I think it's because they were being tested in too small a room. IMO you better have a very big room for the M80's where their treble energy won't split your ear drums at high volume.

For movies ... definetly keep the sub .

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like to be able to hear details in their minuté in movies-but the wife enjoys jazz and blues music, so it is critical to reproduce male and female voices accurately. She used to sing professionally, so it is likely she would notice a difference before I would : )

· Registered
638 Posts
That being the case I would take a serious look at the Axioms .

They are superb in the mid range and very detailed in the high frequencies (Though some like to call them bright which is a load of hooay IMO)

Consider what I said above though ... those M80's will NEED a large room and feature 2 of the excellent Axiom titainium tweeter. Could be hard to handle near field or in a small room with lots of reflections.

If your Wife likes Jazz and Blues and was a performer IMO she will like Axioms . As a musician myself I find them very believeable in their reproduction , especially in the midrange and treble.

· Registered
729 Posts
Boxand1 - I own Rockets and love them. Jazz and Blues, to me, are the perfect way to really show them off. The deep detailed bass, excellent mid-range and neutral highs are exactly what *I* was looking for in a speaker. I would guess based on your previous posts that you might be after a speaker that is a little more forward.

It sounds to me like you might lean more toward Axioms. If you enjoy Klipsch and enjoy the Axiom's you've heard it stands to reason that you'll like Axioms in your home. I could be wrong, but that's just the impression I get. They definitely have crystal clear highs. I agree with Petre when he says that the 'bright' statements you'll hear are slightly off-base. It seems detailed and bright often get confused. Obviously it is in your best interest to setup a Rocket audition, but if that's impossible and you need to make a decision based on descriptions of what you like versus Rockets and Axioms, I'd go with the Axioms. It isn't that the Rockets aren't detailed, they are just less forward and more neutral than the Axioms. This isn't a bad or good thing, it's just different.

Oh, and keep the sub. :D

· Registered
14 Posts
Commenting on m22 vs q8s for the surrounds, I would suggest going with the q8's. Having had direct radiators prior to the q8's, I really found the q8's a better choice. They provide enough ambiance and indirect sound to give a greater feeling of depth and envelopment, while maintaining good directionality with panning effects. I actually think they are better than my old monopoles at sounds not meant to be ambient because they add enough uncertainty to the location to prevent such effects as coming solely from the rear corner of my living room.

However, with music, many people favor monos. I dont' have a lot of multi channel music. Most of what I have are concert DVDs, which coupled with the q8's create a more enveloping and immersing experience compared with the monos I used to have.

My guess is the ADP style rockets would be similarly effective.

By the way, did you say before that you were able to listen to the rockets at a local shop?

PS - Of course, on the down low:)

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Couple of quick thoughts:

You might consider the M60s rather than the M80s. For one thing, you'd save money. Next, as mentioned above, the 80s have a reputation for being somewhat finicky when it comes to placement. The 60s and 80s are considered very similar in sound, but the 80s go a little deeper, and can play louder for filling bigger rooms. The 80s are 4 ohms, the 60s are 8 ohms which means they're a little easier on your receiver, although I would think your 45TX would handle the 80s fine.

Unless you get the 80s, and only listen to music, keep the sub. If you're into HT, you'll want the sub with either the 60s or 80s.

If HT is 50% of your listening, or more, get the QS8s. They are remarkably good surround speakers. I know of several folks who prefer other speakers for mains and center, but they have the QS8s for their surrounds. If you're more heavily into music, especially SACD and/ DVD-A, then you might consider the M22s.

I can speak about the Axioms because I own them (M60s/VP150/QS8s). Though I've not heard the Rockets you are interested in (I have heard the RS150s), I have no doubts whatsoever that they are equally fine speakers. It just comes down to your preferences. Both companies have superb customer service, and a 30 day return period. Do your homework; pick the ones you believe you'll like; if you can't stand them, return them and try the others.

Better yet, if you'll go to the forum at each companies web site, you'll find a list of owners willing to audition their speakers for you. Maybe you'll find someone near you.

Good luck. Keep learning, and you'll make an informed decision.

· Registered
1,121 Posts
If you're down to 2 sets of speakers, it's best to demo them both. Shipping might push your budget up more than you want to afford, so it's best you find an owner of each in your area and go demo. We're all trying to describe what it is we each like about each respective speaker, but our description might not match what your ears decipher. You're not going to end up with crappy products, either way, but at this point, it's best you do yourself a favor by demoing for yourself (while keeping all the advice offered here in mind). Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
And if you can't find someone close to demo... order a center from each to start. That will give you a great idea of sound possibilities. Both companies will still give you the package price when you call back and your out 20 bucks in shipping. That 20 bucks could mean the difference in forcing you to keep speakers you don' t like or forcing you to like them or if you get a full set up your looking at around 100 bucks to send them back. Listen before you buy just like a car... drive before you buy. As good as these speakers are they are not Mercedes where you can say just deliver it at my doorstep and I know I will be happy..... Of course then theres the BMW lovers!

Disclaimer: I own Rockets!

· Registered
853 Posts
Rockets:

550 fronts

200 center

300 surrounds

I have this same system with the addition of 150 rear surrounds and the ufw10 and i'm quite happy with it. sounds really good and looks fantastic. using a HK7200 with them and it works fine.

muncey

· Registered
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nhan
If you're down to 2 sets of speakers, it's best to demo them both. Shipping might push your budget up more than you want to afford, so it's best you find an owner of each in your area and go demo. We're all trying to describe what it is we each like about each respective speaker, but our description might not match what your ears decipher. You're not going to end up with crappy products, either way, but at this point, it's best you do yourself a favor by demoing for yourself (while keeping all the advice offered here in mind). Good luck with your decision.
This is the best advice.....

· Registered
1,793 Posts
Oh cut it out or I'm gonna get a swelled head! :eek:

· Registered
673 Posts
Unless multichannel high rez audio is your number one concern...I would definately go with the QS8s should you decide the Axioms are for you. The QS8 is IMO the best speaker Axiom makes. They work quite well for multichannel music as well, but for movies they are astounding.

Also, get a quality dedicated sub with speakers in this price range.

Rijax's advice was right on the money. One thing I would like to add is the reason the M80s may be difficult to place is due to size...the further the drivers start to spread out, the more imaging suffers. Of course, the counterpoint is that if you are in a room that needs the M80s, you should be far enough away that they will work well.

I own the Axioms, but really love the quality of product that Onix produces. In the next couple weeks I will finally be able to get a demo with the 740 sigs and bigfoot center :)

As always the best possible solution is to demo what you can, in your own room. If your room is too acoustically live, speakers like the Axioms or Onix Refs will be brutal to listen to.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the great advice all. The responses have been fantastic. I think I will go Axioms and the QS8's because I don't have too much DVDA yet, and the wife listens to a lot of CD's and DVD concerts anyway.

I was mainly looking at the M80's because this will be the last time I upgrade speakers for quite some time (the wife is already growing tired of the technology changes) and we are considered buying a home soon where there will be a room for the HT most likely. The M80's seem like they would offer the best stereo sound and have (potentially) more versatility for expansion than the M60's if a larger room comes into being.

· Registered
757 Posts
make sure you have a suitable receiver/amp...

**edit**

...for the m80s

i would get the m60s if your decision rests on axioms becuase of the following reasons; they are easier to drive than the 80s, not overwhelming in HT environment of avg. sized rooms, you won't have to upgrade your receiver (guessing), and the placement of m60s is also less critical. IMHO - the 80s should be used for stereo only applications or very_large rooms.

sometimes you use a box and 1 defense and sometimes you use a man-to-man defense. it depends on the situations. ;) speakers aren't much different.

· Registered
638 Posts
I second the GOOD EQUIPMENT advice.

The Axioms do not mate well with poor equipment because they will expose flaws and can indeed sound harsh (It's the components your hearing ... the Axioms just don't sugar coat the sound) . Further the M80's are a tougher load than most.

I believe Axiom recommends Denon HT recievers.

I tried the M22's with a Yamaha reciever my kids have and it quite frankly sounded HORRIBLE . Very thin brittle sound. Switched to a Denon 5800 and they sounded superb.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.