AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like to know from HT philes what sounds better?

The Axiom M 80 / VP150 / QS8 and the 2 subs EP 350

or the Atlantic Technology 350 THX system with its 2 subs.

Apprecaite replies from persons who have actually heard both.

Thanks

·
Registered
935 Posts
bump

·
Registered
553 Posts
well, you bumped, so I will reply.

I have NOT heard both. Hell, I have not heard even one of the systems. What I will say is that my M80s, VP-150 center, and QS-8 surrounds, paired with my BFD EQ'd SVS 16-46PCi really sounds incredible. The Axioms are better than any other speaker I have heard (that I could even come close to being able to afford). better than Paradigm (although I really liked them also), Klipsch Forte IIs, Boston Acoustics, EPIs, Pinnacles, Infinitys, and others. The SVS sub is, from what I hear, much better than the Axiom sub.

I got 15% off the price of my Axioms by buying a 5 pc. set from their online outlet, and they all look and perform perfectly.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I really like Atlantic Technology, and am a huge fan of pretty close to everything Peter Tribeman is associated with, but the Axioms are truly a fantastic system (with the SVS)

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Well, Funny you should bring this up.

I cant give you a precise answer either. I have the AT 350THX set with one sub as my HT audio for my Pioneer elite 510 in my living room. It sounds fantastic and I have always thought of it as the best deal I bought. I believe it cost me around $2200 a few years ago. I bought it from one-call.

I recently bought(last week) and set up an axiom 5 speaker setup for my 42" HD-RPTV bedroom unit. However my bedroom is much smaller and I bought M21's for the fronts, qs4's for the surrounds and the vp100 for the center. I bought a hsu stf-2 (349 at comp usa could not resist) as the subwoofer. I actually believe the axiom setup sounds better, but it is in a much more compact space that is easily filled with sound.

I am really happy with both my systems, but I think I would lean toward the axioms for my main theater if I were to choose today. The problem is, you do not get to listen to these speakers and do a realistic A-B compare.

On the other hand, I find that all these products are really excellent and I get confused and caught up in the B&M stores and start convincing myself that I need M&K or B&W, etc. I would definitely buy AT or Axiom stuff again and be assured of satisfaction. They are both great products. I hope this helps.

baimo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the feedback.

I realize that it is truly difficult to do a direct comparison using the same source from room to room.

The ideal situation would be a double blind test.

It is almost imposible to do unless you buy both systems,setthem up side by side and then take turns listening to them.

Finally people can listen to the same sound and pick different systems,it is in the ear of the holder!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Willscary what did you like about the paradigms and the axioms individually? and why did you choose the axioms? I have the m22ti's and have been looking at getting the vp-150 as my center channel and then in the summer the m60 towers. I also have looked at the paradigms. The axioms sound natural to me and it seems like most people if they do not like them its due to the break in period and/or the quality of the recording.

thanks

·
Registered
310 Posts
In very general terms the AT system is usually described as "layed-back", meaning there is a noticable roll-off to the treble.

The Axioms are generally described as more "forward", with less roll-off to the high-end.

Which is better? Ha, if this hobby was easy there woulden't be an AVS forum.

Seriously though, the AT setup IMHO would be a better choice if HT/TV viewing is your priority, not that they sound bad w/music The rolled off treble should not be as fatiguing for movie marathons as the Axioms. If music is your thing, than I would start with the Axioms taking advantage of their trial period.

BTW, I own the AT 270THX and have enjoyed them for 2 yrs now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.