AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been looking to purchase a speaker set-up for 85% HT/TV and 15% music. I would like your opinions on the following systems and any pro's/con's you can list.

I have a large living area with vaulted ceilings: Dimensions: 24(L) x 19(W) x 11(H) Approx. 5000 cubic feet.

Axiom

Fronts: M80 v2 or M60 v2

Center: VP150 v2

Surrounds: QS8 v2

Sub: EP500 v2

av123 Rockets by Onix

Fronts: RS760 or RS450

Center: RSC200

Surrounds: RSS300

Sub: UFW-12

I am considering replacing the sub in both set-up's with a SVS sub.

Also, I am considering Ascends but I am not sure they are in the same league as these two set-up's.

I understand the importance of auditioning and making a personal choice but your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang /forum/post/0

Where are you located? Maybe you can find owners in your area.

Curtis has a good point.... why not try and find an owner in your area and request an audition? Both have forums where you can stop in and ask.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
You could do what many people seem to do. Pick one based on cost, reviews, appearance. Buy it and have it delivered. Decide it sounds pretty good. Smile and be happy.

If you can, audition before you buy, but that is not always easy.

The other alternative is to buy both, and send back the looser.

Or you could go to the local stores and see what they have.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I just tossed a coin. I recommend the av123. Seriously, based only on what I've read I think I'd try those first. Not sure why.

Since you know what you are interested in, you could do a search for them both on this forum, and on google. I doubt anybody is going to say something in this thread that has not already been said someplace else. Of course, I could be wrong. . .

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the rocket 760 for about 2 weeks now, and these babies can sing!!!!

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
This is a very challenging thing to do and asking is often going to get you trouble, but since you DID ask....

The Rockets are exceptional speakers, the finish and sound that they is exceptional, the center channel in particular is quite renown for its amazing ability to reproduce dialogue and sound effects. The sub delivers very good clean sound but it might be a tad lacking in spl's as for as HT is concerned.

The Axioms are very good as well just with a slightly less apealing finish. The can handle LOADS of power and are therefore very dynamic. The sub is extremely good for them as well. That is about all I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why is there a forum if no one wants to pony up and answer? I have read other great debates and would like to know thoughts about these two set-up's. I realize people have different opinions. How does it help? People with opinions can have really good thoughts that help guide others to research and look for certain characteristics they might not have otherwise.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
tri-ing,

I think the problem is that very few people have actually done a side by side comparison of these speakers. Hopefully if somebody has they'll post.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-ing /forum/post/0

Why is there a forum if no one wants to pony up and answer? I have read other great debates and would like to know thoughts about these two set-up's. I realize people have different opinions. How does it help? People with opinions can have really good thoughts that help guide others to research and look for certain characteristics they might not have otherwise.

As stated, you have narrowed your search to a small selection, and maybe folks that have heard these 2 haven't SEEN this thread yet.

I do KNOW that folks are tri-ing to assist you.

All in All, sound is very subjective as well, hence the reasoning of auditioning as well.

We're just trying to help.........

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus /forum/post/0

Have you seen their custom finishes yet??

They're beautiful.

I have and they are nice, but the rockets still seem to go a step above the axioms in finish quality.

The reason why we dont get dogmatic about what speaker sounds the best is becuase audio can be so subjective with a LOT of variables to take into account. Such as the type of program material you enjoy, what specific songs from that program that you are familiar with, how the acoustics in the room color the sound. What style of sould you enjoy, and lastly how your ear interprets the sounds being emitted. Once you throw all those in the mixing pot, it becomes very hard for us to say A>B especially with products that are both extremely competitive in performance in the same price bracket.

·
Registered
511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri-ing /forum/post/0

Thanks for responding and you have very good points about auditioning. I mean no disrespect but I would like to hear pro's/con's, not advice to audition.

Thanks

I am having the Rockets HT setup with 760 towers, 200 Center and 300 Surround. For HT, it's hard to beat at ANY PRICE, especially the Center. For music, the 760 sounds good, but not exceptional. Build quality and finish are great. I never A/B between Rocket and Axiom though.

An advice to you. If you want opinions between Rocket setups, you can post additional questions at av123 forum, and you should get good answers. But, if you want to get opinion between Rockets and other brands, avoid av123 forum.

·
Registered
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleHT /forum/post/0

I am having the Rockets HT setup with 760 towers, 200 Center and 300 Surround. For HT, it's hard to beat at ANY PRICE, especially the Center. For music, the 760 sounds good, but not exceptional. Build quality and finish are great. I never A/B between Rocket and Axiom though.

An advice to you. If you want opinions between Rocket setups, you can post additional questions at av123 forum, and you should get good answers. But, if you want to get opinion between Rockets and other brands, avoid av123 forum.

The lack of detailed response or opinions on this questions is probably not because people are not interested in helping you but more because you have picked speakers that are both very well received, and, in a sense, it's hard to go wrong with either.

It may not be good for a lively or spirited debate but these speakers are widely known as value price/performance leaders. At that point, it's up to personal taste as to which is better. It's lick asking which is better, coke or pepsi?

I will put my plug in for Ascend here. I don't agree they don't compete. If you look at the quality of drivers, reviews and the fact that Ascend users choose to spend their money on the components that affect the sound rather than nice finishes (not that there's anything wrong with a great finish of course) then Ascend is in the race sound wise. Mark from AV123 himself is quoted here as calling the 340's stunning speakers. It isn't a full range speaker though so a sub is needed.

Mark of AV123 and David of Ascend are both class acts with exceptional service. Just on that point, I'd lean towards AV123 rather than Axiom.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I feel the same as he does, and as stated, even Mark has high praise for Ascend.

They sound very good, and with a good sub, floorstanders become less of an issue IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspledge /forum/post/0

The lack of detailed response or opinions on this questions is probably not because people are not interested in helping you but more because you have picked speakers that are both very well received, and, in a sense, it's hard to go wrong with either.

It may not be good for a lively or spirited debate but these speakers are widely known as value price/performance leaders. At that point, it's up to personal taste as to which is better. It's lick asking which is better, coke or pepsi?

I will put my plug in for Ascend here. I don't agree they don't compete. If you look at the quality of drivers, reviews and the fact that Ascend users choose to spend their money on the components that affect the sound rather than nice finishes (not that there's anything wrong with a great finish of course) then Ascend is in the race sound wise. Mark from AV123 himself is quoted here as calling the 340's stunning speakers. It isn't a full range speaker though so a sub is needed.

Mark of AV123 and David of Ascend are both class acts with exceptional service. Just on that point, I'd lean towards AV123 rather than Axiom.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.