AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't find much on the Polk Rti series. I've narrowed it down to these 2 because I have to buy online due to my remote location and I like the fact I can get free shipping (Polks at Circuit City.com) from both. Given a side by side comparison, which would be the most well-rounded system with good solid bass and not Klipsch-like brightness?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add. I'm looking at the Axiom Epic 50 package and the following Polk models: RTi70, CSi30, FXi30 and PSW404. They'll be powered by a Kenwood 100 x 5 @ 6 ohms in a 25 x 20 room. 90% movies, 10% music.

·
Registered
48 Posts
wjlane,

While I can't comment on the Polk Rtis, I did replace my Polk RM7300 satellite system with the Epic Grand Master. Except I replaced the VP100 with a VP150 and stepped down from the QS8 to the QS4. While it is great for music, I really love the setup for movies. I'm finishing up a DIY sub using an Adire Shiva which should really outperform the Axiom sub. I'm still using the small powered Polk sub til this weekend.

The Axiom sub is the weak link of the setup. Consider making a DIY (Adire Audio has instructions on their site) or check out www.creativesound.ca for their EZSub for something better. Especially with your room size.

Frank

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have rti70 towers, fsi surrounds and a csi40 center and I'm quite happy. I was using a Optimus Sw but just upgraded to a HSU vtr3. Polk is real good to deal wih on any warranty work. I too am mostly movies but the system sounds great with music. I have a Yamaha receiver and a onkyo dvd player for audio dvd and sacd.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have heard the Axiom M60ti speakers, the VP100 center channel, and QS4 surrounds at a friends house. I would highly recommend them. I'm ordering them myself, except I'm going with the VP150 center, and the QS8 surrounds. Axiom also has a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like them for any reason. I chose these over Paradigm Reference line speakers. They are a great value for the money.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! I might be reading between the lines here but Polk has the Rti series and it's LSi flagship series. That leads me to believe that Axiom dedicated their know-how to a single quality speaker instead of going two different routes. Did Polk purposely leave something out of the RTi series just to pump up the "value" of the LSi's? I would much more trust a company that put's all of it's effort behind one line of speakers. I've read a lot of info about the Axiom's int he forum but there is just 3 or 4 on the Polk RTi's. I'm leaning towards Axioms at this point. I did notice a few Axiom owners ditched the VP100 for the VP150 citing a dramatic difference in quality. Did you ever audition the VP150 (mikebaby and fmowry) or are you just thinking on the same wavelength as me?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I did not audition the VP150, but it's only marginally more expensive, so I decided to go that route. I have never been a fan on Polk speakers so I can't speak on them.

mikebaby

·
Registered
48 Posts
wjlane,

I went straight to the VP150 since it's got the dual tweeters to allow for better dispersion for all center channel info. I have a wide couch in front of my setup so I didn't want all my friends to be missing out on the great dialogue with me sitting in the only sweet spot! If you check out the outlet store you can get %10 off. If the outlet store doesn't have the model you want, give Amie a call and ask if they have what you want in the outlet store. My center had a tiny scratch on the side, not visible unless you're up close standing next to the TV. Axiom outlet (blems) have very minor blemishes. All my Axioms are outlet speakers. M22s, VP150 and QS4s. The QS4s were the only ones that showed up on the factory outlet. I can't find a single thing wrong with the QS4s or the M22s.

My father was in the Army. I remember when the AAFES catalogue and the local PX had really high end stuff at incredible prices (back in 1984). I was recently at the local PX with my father and was disappointed that they don't have the quality or selection they used to. Maybe it was because we were stationed overseas?

Frank

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you notice that most people will praise the equipment they have.We sort of pat ourselves on the back justifying the decision. The sound of speakers is very subjective and I think most comparable units will be very similar in sound quality.

I wouldn't criticize any organization for having different levels of products for they are appealing to different segments of the market. Lexus makes many different cars, receiver manufacturers also make many different priced items.

I bought FOUR dvd players because everybody said each one of them was the best- bottom line there isn't much difference between any of them, the more expensive ones have more features.

I think either brand will serve you well, just make your choice and enjoy.

Regardless of what you buy you will want to upgrade soon, that's the nature of this hobby.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frank,

Overseas PX's tend to have more high end stuff than here in the states. When I looked on their website I saw a lot of good equipment but in order to purchase the high end stuff I had to show proof that I was stationed overseas. Up until a few years ago the stateside PX couldn't sell a TV larger than 27". But at the same time you could by a 65" Pioneer Elite at an overseas PX (my neighbor had one in Korea). Now they're allowed to sell TV's up to 36". I think it has something to do with a Congressional mandate that such expensive items would not be allowed in stateside PX's because those items would lure low ranking soldiers into buying something they couldn't really afford. AAFES found a way around that policy overseas. Anyway, I checked the outlet store and didn't find much on the website. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks for the info!

ear-doc2,

You're right. All this fuss and worry. I'm sure I'll be happy either way. But I was comparing the spec on these brands and this is what I found:

Model #, freq resp, power handling, drivers

AXIOM

M50, 39-22k, 200w, dual 6.5, 1" tweet

VP100, 95-22k, 175w, dual 5.25, 1" tweet

QS4, 100-22k, 175w, dual 4.5, dual 1" tweet

EP175, 32-150, 175w, 10" woofer

POLK RTi

RTi70, 40-26k, 250w, dual 6.5, 1" tweet

CSi30, 55-26k, 180w, dual 5.25, 1" tweet

FXi30, 55-26k, 100w, 5.25, dual 1" tweet

PSW404, 32-160, 200w, 10" woofer

After looking at these specs I wonder how the Axiom center and surround speaks could match well with the rest of the system given the big difference in freq resp. Looking at the Polk's freq resp, I would think they would perform better. Would such a large difference in frequency response affect voice matching?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm pretty much going for the Axiom Epic 50 Package but I'm concerned about the EP175 being inadequate. My room is about 20 x 20. Would the EP175's 10" woofer with 175 watts be enough? It's mostly for movies. I've looked at other brand subs but I'm concerned about keeping everything matched. If I go outside of Axiom on a sub could the tonal balance be disrupted? I'm assuming Axiom would tune their subs using their own mains, centers and surrounds. Thoughts?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Your money would be MUCH better spent on a Hsu sub. I've heard the Axioms with the Hsu, and you won't be disappointed.

mikebaby

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
180 degrees. Now I'm seriously considering the Polks. I feel that if all the speakers have the same drivers they would sound much better together and create a uniform surround field. The Axiom's had 6.5" on the mains, 5.25" on the center and 4.5" on the surrounds while the Polk's have 6.5" all the way around. Sounds logical to me. Correct me if I'm wrong. The sub issue is still in the thought process phase.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
The CSi30 has 5.25's, the CSi40 would have 6.5's and would be the better match. It has a deeper cabinet as well. Much fuller sound.

Also the FXi30's are 5.25's and the FXi50's are 6.5's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I forgot to mention that I would be willing to upgrade to the CSi40 and FXi50 to match the 6.5's on the RTi70's. That's gotta sound pretty damn good.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
wjlane,

If you have not done so, I would definitely post your questions in Axiom's own message boards since you cannot listen to them beforehand. Participants there are fairly honest, sometimes openly recommend other brands over the Axioms. Do not worry about those superficial specs such as the frequency responses or driver sizes -- those belong to the brand's design decisions. Both of the sets you listed are specifically designed to construct a 5.1 surround system, and the manufacturers know what attributes are required in these speakers.

Also, be careful on what return policy Circuit City provides, in the event you did not like the Polks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I read over their online return policy and it's 30 days. I can mail it back or return it to a store. At this point, I feel more comfortable buying at CC since I won't end up paying a couple hundred bucks in return shipping if I don't like the speaks. CC also carries Infinity. Besides Polk I think that is the only other decent brand of speaker they carry.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Also note that you can get the Axiom epic grandmaster system, which uses 5.25 drivers for fronts, center and surrounds.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have the full Epic 80 system, which I purchased from a Canadian retailer and had them delivered for $1800 US. Aside from the great value, these speakers are great performers. And this is in my less-than-ideal family room, while I wait for my builder to finish my home theater with proper acoustical treatments. I now listen to CD's that I had forgotten about. There are some negatives to owning high-quality speakers though. You get to hear all the imperfections and nuances of poorly-mastered CD's. Anyway, just wanted to chime in on the higher-end Axiom system and convey my satisfaction. I compared to Paradigm, Triad, PSB, and the various products at Circuit City/Best Buy/etc and have found Axiom to be as capable as any of them.

HTBuilder

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.