AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i tried modelling both the tbw110 and the ds155 in a 4 cubic feet sealed box, the results are very strange, the reason is i already have a DIYSG Sledge box (originally bought for a RSS460HO), i want to use this subwoofer temporarily in a 1510Ft^3 (building a dedicated HT room), and then build 4 marty cubes for the new room, but i want to use this driver for the cubes (the same driver for all).

Can i use the box for the B&C's?, which one is better for my application?

Green is TBW100
Red is RSS460HO
Blue is DS115

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hi, i tried modelling both the tbw110 and the ds155 in a 4 cubic feet sealed box, the results are very strange, the reason is i already have a DIYSG Sledge box (originally bought for a RSS460HO), i want to use this subwoofer temporarily in a 1510Ft^3 (building a dedicated HT room), and then build 4 marty cubes for the new room, but i want to use this driver for the cubes (the same driver for all).

Can i use the box for the B&C's?, which one is better for my application?

Green is TBW100

Red is RSS460HO

Blue is DS115

Thank you.

Looks correct. But its just a start.

Now you need to model with input power, and see where your cone excursion is at. That will tell you which one will perform best.

Might want to check the LaVoce SAF184.03 as well, it’s generally the best bang-for-the-buck pro 18. Only available in 8ohm though.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you @a77cj7, i will look into that, i'm new to winisd,.

I have 4 Crown xls-1502,([email protected] bridged) i think these have enough power for both sealed and marty cube boxes.

What i dont like about the lavoce is the impedance.

Don't you think these pro drivers need a lot of eq?, everybody says they sound better than the HT drivers (Dayton, SI, etc)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thank you @a77cj7, i will look into that, i'm new to winisd,.

I have 4 Crown xls-1502,([email protected] bridged) i think these have enough power for both sealed and marty cube boxes.

What i dont like about the lavoce is the impedance.

Don't you think these pro drivers need a lot of eq?, everybody says they sound better than the HT drivers (Dayton, SI, etc)

In a sealed box, they need lots of eq. Not at all what they’re designed for.

I had a 18ds115 in a 37hz mbm. Response was ruler-flat. Very similar to the box recommended by B&C.

Now I’ve got that driver in a mini devastator. Response isn’t flat at all, but is way more awesome.

1500w is more than enough to run out of excursion for any of these drivers sealed.
However, should work nicely in the marty cube.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@a77cj7

I will try the 18ds115, worst case scenario is i have to build the marty cube for my current room, the box i can save for another project in case i don't like it, which i doubt with the minidsp, the problem i don't want to have is a $600 driver that doesn't work in the marty cube, you already answer that.

Thank you Chris.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
@a77cj7

I will try the 18ds115, worst case scenario is i have to build the marty cube for my current room, the box i can save for another project in case i don't like it, which i doubt with the minidsp, the problem i don't want to have is a $600 driver that doesn't work in the marty cube, you already answer that.

Thank you Chris.

Up to you if the DS is worth the extra cost. The TBW will do very well too.

Im tuning my setup right now, I can model them for you once I get done.

Chris

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Ok, ran the sims.
1500w is actually a good power level in the marty cube.

Winisd sim:
Green: 18Ds115 cube
Blue: 18ds115 sealed
Orange: 18TBW100 cube
Red: 18TBW100 sealed

DS cube has 18hz 2nd order HPF
TBW cube has 20hz 2nd order HPF
Both sealed have 10hz 2nd order HPF

I don’t trust winisd as much as hornresp, so I ran the cube models there as well.
18ds115:

18TBW100:

Hornresp indicates the TBW needing a 20hz 3rd order HPF

Winisd shows port velocities good for both.
Hornresp shows 18ds115 port velocity very high at 35m/s. TBW is safe.

Both programs indicate the tune is higher than the listed 20hz. Hornresp says 22hz. Winisd says 23-24.

Chris

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Hi, ordered 2 18TBW100-4 and received 1 18TBW100-4 and 1 21SW152-8, ????

@a77cj7

Not sure why you tagged me here, lol.

Where did you order from? Probably best to contact them.

The 21sw152 is a very nice driver, not sure how that mistake happened.

Worst case, you can easily sell the 152 for much more than the cost of a TBW.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure why you tagged me here, lol.

Where did you order from? Probably best to contact them.

The 21sw152 is a very nice driver, not sure how that mistake happened.

Worst case, you can easily sell the 152 for much more than the cost of a TBW.

Chris
Hi Chris, just wanted to ask your opinion using the 18TBW and 21SW152 together, what enclosure you recommend for the 21?, also, i don't think the XLS1502 is a good match for the 21SW152-8 (only 1050watts at 8 ohms)?

Thank you.
Luis

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How'd you get so lucky?!
:):):):), Honestly I don't know if i'm going to keep it, i already have 4 amps to power four 18 inch drivers and i don't think my amps can give enough power the [email protected] ohms, so, i know it is a more expensive driver but .... i have to think about what to do.

Thank you.
Luis

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
B&C 18TBW100-4 or 18DS115-4 in 4Ft^3 Sealed

Hi Chris, just wanted to ask your opinion using the 18TBW and 21SW152 together, what enclosure you recommend for the 21?, also, i don't think the XLS1502 is a good match for the 21SW152-8 (only 1050watts at 8 ohms)?

Thank you.

Luis

They will work just fine together.
You’ll want to keep the alignments the same for easy integration.
If you’re running the 18 sealed, a 6cf sealed for the 21 will work.
If you’re running the 18 in a marty cube, copy the dimensions from GSG’s 21 cube.

If you want to get crazier, both will work great in Devastator variants.

The amp will work, but more power would be optimal. Just how much depends on the enclosure used.

EDIT: There’s a matching 21sw152-8 listed in the classifieds if you decide you need a pair.

Chris

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
:):):):), Honestly I don't know if i'm going to keep it, i already have 4 amps to power four 18 inch drivers and i don't think my amps can give enough power the [email protected] ohms, so, i know it is a more expensive driver but .... i have to think about what to do.

Thank you.
Luis

I'd keep the 21, and sell the 18... and cough up a couple more bucks to get another 8 ohm 21sw152. Wire both cabinets in parallel and run them on one amp.

Reactions: Trimlock

·
Registered
1,478 Posts

Thank you.

Luis

What Mike said, the only downside is the 21 will want a bigger box. However it will be more sensitive than the 18 in the range you want so it will actually be a BETTER fit with the current amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd keep the 21, and sell the 18... and cough up a couple more bucks to get another 8 ohm 21sw152. Wire both cabinets in parallel and run them on one amp.
That is a great idea, something like the PSA TV42.

Thank you Michael.

Luis

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What Mike said, the only downside is the 21 will want a bigger box. However it will be more sensitive than the 18 in the range you want so it will actually be a BETTER fit with the current amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks again Trimlock, i really like that idea.

Luis

1 - 20 of 42 Posts