AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would ask you all here what would be your preferred online reseller of the 2.

They both have the same LCD at the same price with free shipping, truck-shipped curbside not White-glove delivery... that would bust my budget.

Reseller ratings has JR at 6.96 while B&H is at 9.6 rating.

Not sure if this is a valid comparison since B&H reviews seem to be mostly digital cameras.

Was hoping to hear from those that have purchased larger items like this and have used one or both of these merchants.

thank you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've been to both stores and have purchased from each. I think B&H has better prices on most items, but I do read a photography newsgroup, and have read complaints about B&H taking its time from point of sale to delivery- I've never had a delivery from either. I did receive a delivery of an HDTV for a friend from J&R, and he was surprised at how fast it was received. The UPS driver commented on how well packed it was, but that might have been the manufacturer rather than J&R since it wasn't double boxed- this was a high end HDTV. However, now that we're in this ugly recession-depression, I'm thinking most stores are working overtime to satisfy its customers. I'd rather shop at J&R since their salespeople really know their **** and it's a little more relaxed, but if you want the lowest price and the cheapest shipping, I'd go with the shop that can accommodate that, and that could be B&H. You might also want to check out Adorama if it's lowest price you're after. Again, I've read some negatives about them taking their time delivering, but these are lean times, and they probably want your business as much as the other merchants. I'm a NewEgg fan- that's where I got my HDTV, but they don't carry all the brands of HDTVs... if they do have the one you're looking for, I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I've had good results (and no problems) repeatedly with B&H, J&R, and Adorama as well. Also, Abt has been consistently good.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sorry, I missed the same price thing... I would go with the best seller rating, although I'm surprised J&Rs rating was so low and I do stand by my experience receiving an HDTV from J&R for my friend; by the way, what is the best seller rating based on, is it heavily skewed towards lowest product and shipping price?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Well the decision was made for me, J&R had the set in question, a Toshiba 42RV535U listed as temporarily OOS, so I bought one from B&H.

I don't mind shipping taking a little longer as long as I'm kept in the loop. Shipping was free and I did not choose White glove delivery since that would have added half a c-note to the purchase.

I know we're not supposed to talk price here but if you do a search on the model on their sites, you'll see that there is an instant rebate from the mftr that makes this set pretty competitive considering price and features.

thanks again, I'll let you all know my take on the delivery and the set when I get it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ordered a home theater package (large, heavy box) from B&H a few weeks ago and shipping was lighting fast. I ordered on Wednesday and had the box on Friday. Of course I am in South Jersey so it's not too far from their NY location, but still it was very fast service from B&H. TV's might take longer with the use of a freight company but I was happy with the service.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought the Toshiba 40 inch LCD from B&H with free shipping. It took a little bit to get here, but the TV has been geat. The box was in fine condition when it arrived.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts