AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a new 34" widescreen CRT soon. Which one has better picture quality? The Toshiba HF84 (HFX84 in US) or Sony HS420? How many lines of resolution does the HS420 have? The HF84 and HS420 are the same price. Does the XS955 have better picture quality than the HF84?

Is Toshiba as reliable as Sony? Do Toshibas CRTs last as long as Sony CRTs?

I wanted an XBR960 but they don't seem to sell them here in Canada anymore. Maybe I should import an XBR960 from the U.S. Does anyone know where I can buy them for a cheap price?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the Toshiba 34HF84 downconverts 720p signals to 540p and upconverts 480p signals to 540p, does that mean it produces better picture quality than all the Sony CRTs including the XBR960? Can the Sony CRTs convert the signals to 540p also?

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilite
Is Toshiba as reliable as Sony? Do Toshibas CRTs last as long as Sony CRTs?
Consumer Reports rated Toshiba more reliable than Sony. Toshiba 34" is rated as the most reliable brand than any of the other 34" TV brands. The 34HF84 is an excellent choice. This is last "real" Toshiba tube TV, so it may worth more in the future. I have attached the 34" brand reliablity history, so why don't you check it out.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean by "real" Toshiba tube TV?

What about the PQ compared to the Sonys in my first post?

Sony has the ClearEdge Velocity modulation (wideband VM) for clearer edges, greater picture depth and improved overall picture. Does Toshiba have something similar to this.

I was thinking of getting the XS955 with the Super Fine Pitch. Do you think it is worth getting the XS955 instead?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can someone answer my first post please?

I am desperate for info since this TV will be bought next week.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
the HF and HFX84s have more resolution than the Sony HS

the XS and XBR Sonys have more resolution than the Toshibas

and the XS and XBR are nicer TVs IMO than the Toshibas

the XBR and XSs have somewhere close to 1400 lines

the Toshibas is suppose to be close to 1100 or 1200

the Sony HS 420s are close to 850

the Sonys have just had a big price drop in the US, and many places are discounting them even more

the newer toshibas 85 series I would stay away from

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for making everything clear for me walker.

Is there any difference in PQ between the XS and XBR? How much of a difference?

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for making everything clear for me walker.

Is there any difference in PQ between the XS and XBR? How much of a difference?
Negligible. Same exact tube. Same exact fundamentals.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is Tilt Correction and Dynamic Focus Circuitry? The HS420 doesn't have them.

Where can I find out?

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
tilt correction

makes it so you can align the tilt of the picture

it seems to vary based on what direction you face the TV

DRC is deinterlacing, 3-2 pulldown(and deinterlacing), and upscaling to 960i

these are options you have when displaying 480i content

it does not matter if the TV was built in the US or Mexico

both are better than China IMHO

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Does it matter if the TV is made in Mexico or the U.S.?
Yes it does, sony sets being manufactured in mexico have higher failure rates then ones being built in the U.S.A.

Also the U.S.A ones are of better build quality, and components they use inside the set.I'm glad my sony is made in the U.S.A.

Generally the ones being made in the U.S. are of higher quality since they are built in better quality plants.

While the ones in mexico tend to slack off a bit in their production. Why do you think you hear a lot of problems with these xbr960 and xs955 sony sets?Because they are nade in mexico in cheaper facilitys,therefore cheaper build quality.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
Quote:
Also the U.S.A ones are of better build quality, and components they use inside the set.I'm glad my sony is made in the U.S.A.

Generally the ones being made in the U.S. are of higher quality since they are built in better quality plants.
I have not looked on the back of my TV

but I thought all Sonys were assembled in San Deigo or something

and manufactured in Mexico?????

the parts certainly would not be any different based on where they were built

the overall build quality could be better I suppose if built here rather than Mexico

but they seem to do a fine job on the buildings and homes, we work in fine and live in

Quote:
While the ones in mexico tend to slack off a bit in their production. Why do you think you hear a lot of problems with these xbr960 and xs955 sony sets?Because they are nade in mexico in cheaper facilitys,therefore cheaper build quality.
what makes you think that?

slacking off cause they are from mexico?

I bet most of these manual workers do more hard work than you could in your lifetime (same goes for me too)

China uses cheap hardware, just like the Orion made Toshibas TV

saying build quality is based on location is BS IMO

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
I have not looked on the back of my TV

but I thought all Sonys were assembled in San Deigo or something

and manufactured in Mexico?????

the parts certainly would not be any different based on where they were built

the overall build quality could be better I suppose if built here rather than Mexico

but they seem to do a fine job on the buildings and homes, we work in fine and live in

what makes you think that?

slacking off cause they are from mexico?

I bet most of these manual workers do more hard work than you could in your lifetime (same goes for me too)

China uses cheap hardware, just like the Orion made Toshibas TV

saying build quality is based on location is BS IMO
TVs made and assembled in Mexico don't necessary mean that they will be more unreliable. Take JVC, for example. JVC is highly regarded here as the most reliable HD tube TV, and it's made and assembled in Mexico.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocHunter
Yes it does, sony sets being manufactured in mexico have higher failure rates then ones being built in the U.S.A.

TVs made and assembled in Mexico don't necessary mean that they will be more unreliable. Take JVC, for example. JVC is highly regarded here as the most reliable HD tube TV brand, according to owners, and it's made and assembled in Mexico.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I think the TVs coming out of Mexico have poorer quality control, meaning many TVs are going through the line really quick and are shipped out of the factory with problems. The convergence and geometry on my Sony KV-30HS420 wasn't adjusted well at all. And what this basically means is that they're not spending much time fine tuning the picture before it leaves the factory.

I'd recommend the XS955, but don't be surprised if the geometry and convergence look bad out of the box. Sony says it's "within spec" and you'll need a professional calibration done to get it close to perfect. But it will be worth the price because this TV is worth it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it possible to get an XS955 made in Japan? My Sony Store salesman said the HS420s are made in Mexico. He said the XS955's are made in U.S. but I saw an XS955 made in Mexico at another non-Sony store.

Since the Sony Store carries the U.S. made XS955s, I can only assume the U.S. made ones are better.

My friend said that stores like Best Buy, Wal-mart and Futureshop sell b-grade components (more failure rates) and only specialty stores (e.g. Sony Store) sell a-grade components. Is that true? I am thinking there might be a bit of truth to that because I bought a Pioneer DVD player from Futureshop and the disc tray is busted now. Maybe Circuit City is better?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible to get an XS955 made in Japan? My Sony Store salesman said the HS420s are made in Mexico. He said the XS955's are made in U.S. but I saw an XS955 made in Mexico at another non-Sony store.

Since the Sony Store carries the U.S. made XS955s, I can only assume the U.S. made ones are better.

My friend said that stores like Best Buy, Wal-mart and Futureshop sell b-grade components (more failure rates) and only specialty stores (e.g. Sony Store) sell a-grade components. Is that true? I am thinking there might be a bit of truth to that because I bought a Pioneer DVD player from Futureshop and the disc tray is busted now. Maybe Circuit City is better?
I don't know if CC is considered a specialty shop, but my KV-34HS420, purchased there in May '05 was manufactured in a plant in Pennsylvania.

High volume stores selling "B Stock" is quite common.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible to get an XS955 made in Japan?
Absolutely not possible. The last time Sony produced fully-assembled tube televisions in Japan was in 1986, nineteen years ago. One of the models was the KV-20XBR, and I currently own this one. If you want a Made in Japan Sony TV, look at the LCD or plasma TV area.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Is it possible to get an XS955 made in Japan?
Absolutely not possible. The last time Sony produced fully-assembled tube televisions in Japan was in 1986, nineteen years ago. One of the models was the KV-20XBR, and I currently own this one. If you want a Made in Japan Sony TV, look at the LCD or plasma TV area.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.