AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at somewhat of a crossroads deciding which one of these amps to purchase. I'll be using a Pioneer 49-tx as a pre, and it will be driving Nautilus 804's and an HTM1 up front and center, Def Tech bp2006tls for sides, and a Def Tech 2300clr in the rear. The problem I'm having now is that while I'm getting a nice wide soundstage, its without much depth, and everything sounds somewhat muffled. The Theta has five 100w channels, while the B&K has seven 200w channels. I've heard the Theta might have better depth and clarity over what I'm getting now and over the B&K, however I don't want to be under powered even though the volume hardly ever goes above medium listening levels. I've also heard the Nautilus 804's need a fair amount of power, so that has me concerned as well. Price wise I should be able to get them both for about the same. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Karl.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the heads up Mark. I regularly check out that forum for any helpful 49tx info, and the 7270 thread is what perked my initial interest. I ended up blowing more cash than originally intended on a Theta Dreadnaught, which I couldn't be happier with. Believe it or not, post-purchase, I'm actually getting used to the taste of top ramen. :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
kkarve,

Great purchase. With five channels, which two are you not amping through the Theta (presuming you are running 7.1)? Are you still able to use the 49tx MCACC for calibration and how does the sound compare now with the Theta vs. without the Theta? I'm considering something similar.

Thx,

Mark

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:
Are you still able to use the 49tx MCACC for calibration
Yes you can still use the MCACC using external amps (or mix of using internal and external amps).

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
FWIW I drive a B&Wn array (802n's and HTM1) with a Theta Dreadnaught and it sounds amazing. Plenty of width and depth in the soundstage (I have my speakers a good 3 feet off the rear wall). I didn't do any comparisons with the b&k though, sorry.

TM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.