AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
B&K was better than Onkyo and a better value than Denon.

Unfortunately they did not charge enough and are now out of business.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
B&K made some awesome units, they sound quite amazing...I've heard the Ref 50 along with one of their amps, and it was pure magic to my ears..I was hoping they had some relative success with REF 70, but I don't think it really took off for what ever real reason.For such a small company, and the changes that HDMi, some of those new losses formats, etc took a told on the company.

Djoel

·
Registered
127 Posts
They charged plenty. I used to own a Ref 50 S2 and still own an amp which sounds great. The problem was that they used to offer an upgrade path to owners and when the Ref 70 came out they stopped. On top of that they decided not to have on board lossless decoding leaving it up to the owner's blu-ray player to decode the audio. Another factor was that they chose not to have any audio calibration such as Audyssey. So in essence, they shot themselves in the foot. As great as their products sounded B&K got buried by eveyone else who made sub three hundred dollar receivers with all of the features they chose not to implement. That's why I sold mine and have yet to regret the decision.

Chris

·
Registered
2,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensonor /forum/post/20839142

They charged plenty. I used to own a Ref 50 S2 and still own an amp which sounds great. The problem was that they used to offer an upgrade path to owners and when the Ref 70 came out they stopped. On top of that they decided not to have on board lossless decoding leaving it up to the owner's blu-ray player to decode the audio. Another factor was that they chose not to have any audio calibration such as Audyssey. So in essence, they shot themselves in the foot. As great as their products sounded B&K got buried by eveyone else who made sub three hundred dollar receivers with all of the features they chose not to implement. That's why I sold mine and have yet to regret the decision.

Chris

I hope ATI will do something with B&K. They would have gotten strong consideration from me if they had a competitive pre-pro. Maybe the tech they are developing for Theta Digital will trickle down to B&K.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Grenn,

I agree with you. They had some mis-steps and fell behind the times. The room correction is a personal choice, but the HDMI and Losses issues are what kept me from buying a Ref 70.

Hopefully ATI will make a Ref 90 or something. Wouldn't it be great if they positioned B&K just under Theta? They are supposed to intro a few B&K products at CEDIA this fall so only time will tell. Unfortunately I finally upgraded and bought an Anthem AVM50v which has everything... even a scaler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.